Thread: i think this is oil but i cant tell where its come from

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I

i think this is oil but i cant tell where its come from

forgive me pics are really bad due to cam i was using to get down in there. most pics are taken behind alt and oil filter housing or that general area, theres some definnant questions i need answered tho.

in #91 & 93 im wondering if there is posed to be a screw of some kind there or even a screw that shold be holding something tht im missing?
    in 108 im wondering where that oil could be coing from or if it is somwhat normal for it to build up there without leaking if it hasnt been cleaned in awhile?
    82,83,84 im wondering agin where this could be coming from or if it jus build up?
    65,64 im wondering if there is suppsed to be there soething screwed in there as well as where the oil could be coming from? is this a sign i need to change my oil filter housing gasket? or vanos seals? i know in recent passsed i had slight eak from oil filter top but it was my fault due to oring and fixed right away. aince i dont see the oil keamj g at a,, on idle does this most likely mean its nor a leak? i know there is some oil under car that drips very slowly
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    more
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You have the m54 engine the oil filter housing gasket leaks and the vanos oil house and senders are common leaks bu the pictures really suck there to close up and out of focus

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    yea they were using this stethoscope cam thing and that was the best i could get them, i jus dropped lil cam down there and took pics hoping i might see something in one lol, but standing at front of engine looking at Alt the pics are frim right behind there, the wire in one pic is the back of alt itself, the others are all in same area but more towards begind the oil filter housing around whatever tho elec plugs are back there, i think they are for vanos? i know i had leak in passed near there, i fixed it and at idle looking from top at what i can see i dont see any oil leaking so i cleaned those areas to see if oil comes back if not i know its old. i do have a leak somewhere around lower front of that part of engine but not major oil loss is so mimimun i almost think its not oil but what else would it be lol. also could oil getting on pulleys and belts cause damage or running problems? im thinking about at least going into area and cleaning everything, i changed maf today and for most part my rpm problem went away but now instead of maf code im getting lambda function codes lol