Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Rent: E39 Rear Subframe Bushing Replacement Tool

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2

For Rent: E39 Rear Subframe Bushing Replacement Tool

*PLEASE DON'T BE SCAMMED*: It has been brought to my attention that if you post contact information in this thread for me to contact you, you might get contacted by someone pretending to be me instead. They will use my name, request money sent to a different email address, etc. If you're talking with someone who doesn't accept PayPal with an @neilschelly.com address, then it isn't me. If you're at all suspicious of who you are talking to, and you are dealing with me via email, please feel free to ask me to validate I am who I say I am by posting here as neilschelly.

I replaced my rear subframe bushings a few months ago, and I was unable at the time to rent a tool quickly enough to replace bushings that really needed it. I bought the Kommen Tools BMB1211 tool for the job. I've decided to rent it out to folks since it appears there's always more demand for it here than there are tools to go around. I suspect it will be awhile before I need it again. The kit can be used for both sedan and touring E39s.

Please post in this thread or PM me if you want to rent it. I will get back to you via PM to work out payment and shipping. You can expect it to work as follows: I'll take a $250 deposit on the tool via PayPal, and I'll refund $200 of it when I get the tool back in good shape. I'll pay to ship it to you, and you can pay to ship it back to me.

Shipping Information: I'll ship it to you wrapped in a bag inside a USPS Medium Flat Rate Box. These boxes are free, so please replace it with a new one when you send it back. Please wrap and/or zip tie things securely in the bag back inside the box. If anything can move/shake around in the box, it will destroy the box in transit. If anything isn't in the bags, it's very likely to fall out and go missing in shipping. Shipping to send it back will be $15.05 (as of 2021-01-08) when sent via Flat Rate Priority Mail. I always use insurance too, which adds about ~$6.

You can see everything pictured in the kit in these pictures (not sure why pictures aren't loading, visit http://www.jenandneil.com/gallery3/i...e-Bushing-Tool). Click them to see them bigger. I also include a laminated color printout of the amazing instructions at BlackBMWs' thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ng-replacement

Other Notes:
    * Please do not use impact tools on the main bolt. I have replaced this several times, and it costs me ~$125 every time I have to.
    * Please do not get dirt/grit in the threads of the large bolt. Clean it out if you do.
    * Please keep the threads of the large bolt lubed up to make the job easier and protect the bolt and its threads from excess heat/wear.
    * Please try to keep the instructions in nice shape.
    * If available, I also include:
    ** 24" box-end ratcheting wrench
    ** 4 long bolts/washers for lowering the whole subframe: I didn't use these. Some folks say they make it easier, and some folks say the opposite.
    ** Some of the emulsion fluid for slipping in the new rubber bushings and getting them nice and stuck in the subframe

(Mods, please let me know if this thread is more appropriate in the E39 subforum. It's not technically selling anything, and it's really only pertinent to E39 owners, so I'm hoping I picked right.)
    Last edited by neilschelly; 03-17-2024 at 04:24 PM. Reason: more clarity, incformation about extra included items

My Cars
    2000 528it
    Is this still available for Rent/When/How much?

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred4u2c View Post
    Is this still available for Rent/When/How much?
    You have a PM from me, and I added pricing/logistics details to the initial post. There is currently no waiting line for the tool.
    -N

My Cars
    02 540i
    Ready to rent, bushings in hand, car on stands getting a full suspension makeover. Please PM me!

My Cars
    2000 528i Touring Sport
    PM sent

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    Is this rental still available?

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2
    Quote Originally Posted by IR M5 View Post
    Is this rental still available?
    Yep, but it's currently with another user. I'll send you a PM.
    -N

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540 Touring
    Hello, I would like to rent this tool. Please let me know if/when it's available. Thanks!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525iT Manual
    I'd also like to rent when available.

My Cars
    03 525iT, 01 33Ci, 318is
    I rented and used Neil's tool in late November, 2021 for my 2003 525 touring (125k miles). It worked great—thanks again Neil! My two front subframe bushings were cracked and each weighed 180 g less than the uncracked rear bushings. I bought 4 BMW bushings from GetBMWParts; they ordered them from Germany (none in US) and it only took 3 weeks to get them. Lemförders are NLA and I just decided to get BMW rather than try Febi or Rein. Several years ago I tried Meyle solid bushings in my previous 2002 525i touring but was very disappointed as I noticed no improvement (reduction in harshness) vs the old cracked bushings. Now with over one month and 2000 miles on the BMW parts I am very pleased, particularly with the decrease in clunking over bumps.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    Would it be possible to ship to Canada?

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwe39528i1998 View Post
    Would it be possible to ship to Canada?
    Please check your private messages.
    -Neil

My Cars
    2005 330ci ZHP, 6MT
    Hi Neil...trying to contact you for tool rental but can't seem to get PMs to work thru this site....I left message thru FB Messenger

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Hello Neil, i was wondering if the tool was available to rent. Need to do the bushings on my 530i soon, Thanks!

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade115 View Post
    Hello Neil, i was wondering if the tool was available to rent. Need to do the bushings on my 530i soon, Thanks!
    Yes, it is! You have a PM.
    -N

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    Looking for rental!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2
    Quote Originally Posted by seagreen323i View Post
    Looking for rental!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    You have PM!
    -N

My Cars
    2003 BMW M5
    I would like to rent the subframe bushing tool. Have the subframe out and getting the front mount reinforced/welded this weekend.

-Chris

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal ///M5 View Post
    I would like to rent the subframe bushing tool. Have the subframe out and getting the front mount reinforced/welded this weekend.

-Chris
    I know I said this in email already, but the tool is out for rent just now. Should be available in a few weeks again. In the meantime, you might be better off taking the subframe to a shop. Once the subframe is off the car, it's just not that hard to replace these bushings like any other, and any shop will have a press that works for it if you don't. The benefits of the tool is that you can change only these bushings and save a lot of time by not pulling the rear subframe out.

That said, if you can't get it handled locally, I'll let you know when the tool is back around.
    -Neil

My Cars
    '00 528iTA, '10 335xi/6
    PM'ed

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested in renting the tool. Located in SE Michigan.

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2
    I don't have a PM from you, and I cannot seem to PM you either. Currently the tool is with one person, and another person is waiting for it. I can add you to the list, but you've got to get in touch with me.
    -N

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Neil - Interested in renting your bushing tool. Let me know...

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2
    Quote Originally Posted by randersoniii View Post
    Neil - Interested in renting your bushing tool. Let me know...
    You've got a PM.
    -Neil

My Cars
    2003 525it, 2000 740il,
    I have ordered bushings from Turner. Is the tool available? Will I need allthread pieces to support the subframe while lowering?

- - - Updated - - -

I have ordered bushings from Turner. Is the tool available? Will I need allthread pieces to support the subframe while lowering?

My Cars
    '02 525iT and '89 944S2
    It should be back in my hands soon, but the main bolt has recently been damaged in shipping. It does apparently still work, but I haven't seen it in person yet to really evaluate how much I trust it. Once I get it back, I was going to talk to the manufacturer about getting it replaced.

I'll message you when I know what I'm working with, hopefully in a few days.
    -Neil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast