Thread: Is this Normal or Not?

My Cars
    535i

Is this Normal or Not?

hi guys....is this normal or not?
    i see it vibrating a little...I removed it to replace the belt and when i installed it back i noticed this slight vibration...
    can i drive like this or is this dangerous?

2012 535i N55

https://youtu.be/VawyfewE-iE

My Cars
    I'm not going off this site to watch a youtube video. Some of the other guys have posted the same sentiments in the past. Why not describe your problem here, and we can try and help?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    535i
    sorry you feel that way but sometimes when you describe something and folks ask for a video to see the issue....its just a youtube video and im sure you watch plenty of them...
    but to summarize the video my belt pully is shaking slightly...not sure what its called...tensioner i guess? not sure if this slight vibration is normal.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by dewana421 View Post
    sorry you feel that way but sometimes when you describe something and folks ask for a video to see the issue....its just a youtube video and im sure you watch plenty of them...
    but to summarize the video my belt pully is shaking slightly...not sure what its called...tensioner i guess? not sure if this slight vibration is normal.
    drive belt tensioner. To replace the belt, you should use the correct torx bit and a breaker bar to turn the belt tensioner to loosen tension on the belt and then use special tool to hold it in place and remove the belt, and then put the new belt on, then release tensioner. (not remove the belt tensioner completely).

It will vibrate though, which is normal but I can't tell from the video if it's excessive or not. If it was me, I might re-do it. Can't afford for the serpentine belt to come off.

N55 belt tensioner.PNG
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 07-21-2020 at 01:46 PM.

My Cars
    535i
    Quote Originally Posted by f10_M550i View Post
    drive belt tensioner. To replace the belt, you should use the correct torx bit and a breaker bar to turn the belt tensioner to loosen tension on the belt and then use special tool to hold it in place and remove the belt, and then put the new belt on, then release tensioner. (not remove the belt tensioner completely).

It will vibrate though, which is normal but I can't tell from the video if it's excessive or not. If it was me, I might re-do it. Can't afford for the serpentine belt to come off.

N55 belt tensioner.PNG
    Agree with you. The only reason I had to remove it was to clean the pulley as it had traces of old oil stuck on it (due to a previous oil filter housing gasket leak) and I couldn’t remove the oil with tensioner installed so I removed it. Just not sure how much vibration other people have on this tensioner pulley. I wish I had recorded a before video to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    It’s fairly common, someone else posted a thread about it. If you want it to really be smooth, get a new crank pulley, and a new tensioner. It seems like the crank pulley/vibration dampeners start to wobble when they get some mileage on them.

ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    hi guys....is this normal or not?
    i see it vibrating a little...I removed it to replace the belt and when i installed it back i noticed this slight vibration...
    can i drive like this or is this dangerous?

2012 535i N55

https://youtu.be/VawyfewE-iE
    Not sure what you're using to read the forum...but if you're on the desktop version...there is an icon on the second row (3rd from the right) that will allow you to insert the URL address into your post and it will appear in your message instead of sending the forum members to an off site. See image below that shows where the icon is located.

I copied your video's URL address in your quote and used the quick insert icon above...your video should appear below.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-23-2020 at 03:19 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Not sure what you're using to read the forum...but if you're on the desktop version...there is an icon on the second row (3rd from the right) that will allow you to insert the URL address into your post and it will appear in your message instead of sending the forum members to an off site. See image below that shows where the icon is located.

I copied your video's URL address in your quote and used the quick insert icon above...your video should appear below.

Ah got it but I didn’t see that option in tapatalk that I use.