Thread: Getting passenger airbag light and message in idrive after accessory module reinstall

My Cars
    2005 545i 90k, 1995 540i

Getting passenger airbag light and message in idrive after accessory module reinstall

Quickie question.

All was good with the world after some extensive repair on my E60. My accessory module was hanging under my dashboard, and I went to reinstall it. I had to unplug it in order to get it maneuvered back in place, then plugged it back in. I did this about 10sec after shutting off the engine.

Now, when I start the car, I get a passenger side airbag light, and message in idrive. I was really not wanting to mess with this with ISTA since I just get a new DME put in this thing, and I'm paranoid now about messing it up after an almost 4 year loss of use of this vehicle. I am guessing things just need reset. However, this is beyond the normal OBDII. There are no codes there. Will this eventually clear itself? I'm thinking there really is not a problem here, but things just need to be reset. Any tricks?

Thanks.

My Cars
    2007 550i
    There was a recall on the passenger seat sensor. I had drive messages about the passenger restraint system having problems, took it to the dealer and they put a new sensor pad in for me for free

My Cars
    What is the accessory module?

And if you have ISTA, then read the codes out of the airbag control unit. If whatever you unplugged is part of the airbag system, then you probably just need to clear the code. It won't clear on it's own. If it's not related to what you did, then the fault code will tell you what part or sensor triggered the warning.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2007 550i
    Im telling you its likely that mat. When you were futzing around under the dash your weight on the seat gave it the coup de gras. I usually drive solo or if i have a passenger it's a girl. I rode in my car one time in the passenger seat and my fat butt broke that sensor. BMW will fix it for free, and the techs were nice enough to fix the worm gear for the thigh bolster while they were in there.

My Cars
    2005 545i 90k, 1995 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by ignignot View Post
    Im telling you its likely that mat. When you were futzing around under the dash your weight on the seat gave it the coup de gras. I usually drive solo or if i have a passenger it's a girl. I rode in my car one time in the passenger seat and my fat butt broke that sensor. BMW will fix it for free, and the techs were nice enough to fix the worm gear for the thigh bolster while they were in there.
    Oh, I get you. However, I did all of that from outside the door. I also have passengers on a regular basis.

What I want to do is basically re-associate everything, electronically. I was thinking about taking the power off the battery, and letting everything die. Then reconnect. However, in doing so, do I have to do the battery trick to reinitialize the battery, etc. I dont want to break something else.

Good comment on from @ignignot. I'll check on that recall.

Thanks all for replies!

My Cars
    2005 545i 90k, 1995 540i
    Yea, it was just the disconnection. I finally found my Carly nugget. I just reset the module, and the codes went away. No issue since.

2020-09-15 08_26_58-Samsung DeX.png