Thread: Faultcode 2a61 valvetronic adjustment range

My Cars
    550 E61

Faultcode 2a61 valvetronic adjustment range

Hi guys, this is my first post.
    I managed to spin a shell on my 2008 550 and put a rod through the block.
    So i got a reconditioned engine for it and popped it in.
    The engine starts, runs, idles and revs on all cyls and starts ok(although you can tell it's not quite right) but it doesn't want to self calibrate the valvetronic end stops and gives the 2a61 code.
    I put two new intermediate shaft sensors in from BMW before putting the engine in as they were missing in the new engine.(not the cheapest things !!)
    No valvetronic codes with the old engine so I'm guessing me disturbing things has caused this.
    I tried setting the motors on each bank with an Autel tool after self calibration wasn't working, it seems to set one bank ok but not the other.
    Have to admit I didn't look at the pick up ring on either intermediate shaft before putting the sensors on with it it being a reconditioned engine.
    No misfires and revs ok and the 2a61 is the only code present.
    I'm on the tools myself but have had nothing much to do with BMW's.
    Looking for any ideas on starting a diagnosis procedure, e.g what lift values to look for in live readings etc.
    Would it be worth swapping the motors over to see if that helps? although the code doesn't specifically mention a fault with the motor.
    Thanks for any e.help in advance

My Cars
    550 E61
    Ok after a few weeks at work and no time to crack on with this I thought I would follow this one up with a solution in case it helps anyone as these seem to be a bit of a pain for quite a few people once disturbed
    In a nut shell I went back into the car today with the diag(Autel in this case) and set up the valvetronics for removal with the tool, in other words set it so it would put the valve lift to under 2mm.
    Then came out of that menu and done the calibration stops of both Valvetronic motors.
    Motors done there Buzz to each stop and the message came up saying it was successful this time.
    These motors are normally self calibrating simply turning on the ign in most cases, but in my case it wouldn't play ball.
    I'm not sure if it was because it's was a new engine with different shafts in it etc.
    Point being if you land yourself in the shit with these motors after doing say.. a cam cover gasket or valve stem seals etc and they wont re-calibrate the above is worth a try as it doesn't cost anything if you or a friend has a tool.
    I'll update if anything happens with it to the contrary e.g. one of the motors pack in etc.