Thread: Restoring E23 (compatibility of parts)

My Cars
    1982 bmw e23

Post Restoring E23 (compatibility of parts)

Hey Guys!

I bought a BMW e23 here in the philippines. The condition is still pretty good but since during that time i did not do my research most of the parts are not original anymore. I am currently restoring it to its former glory and hoping for this forum to help me out. There are not a lot of e23 out here and sourcing parts might be a pain in the ass. Importing parts is possible but the shipping fee will kill me.

I have thought of using other 7 series model that might have the same parts. I havent done my research but I hope you guys could help me if I can use e32 / e38 or any other model.

My Cars
    98 318ti, 80 733, 76 '02
    Congrats on the purchase!
    You don't state which kind of parts you need. Do you knowwhat parts are not stock? I can relate to the shipping as I am in Hawaii.
    Here is a minor rundown of stuff I know, but it's not good news.
    One is that the e23 is a pretty unique animal. most parts are unique to them.
    For the engine, you'll need any engine of the same displacement of the same era (unless you've had a transplant).
    Some people have switched seats, but you'll need to adapt them. "Most" of the rest of the interior parts are e23 sourced. Even the underpinnings are pretty much e23 unique.
    Some of the switches , the DME, and other electronics can be sourced from like year 5 and 6 series cars, SOME.
    This site is a wealth of information. Use your search engine of choice with your parameters and the site name: eg 733i engine dme bimmerforums dot com
    Others will probably be along with better info (and to correct my misinformation).

My Cars
    1982 bmw e23
    i didnt state the parts since I wasnt sure what are compatible and not.

The biggest problem I have are my tie rod. Bought a brand new one from an E32 but i didnt realize they are different.

Maybe what I want to source out are Headlights, Interior and Air intake.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 735i
    realoem.com will be a big help in finding parts that were common across models (e12,e23,e24,e28). There are very, very few parts from later models (e32) that I know of will bolt on an e23. Others may know more.

TowJamma is right an e23 is a unique animal.