Thread: Grey smoke coming from engine compartment

My Cars
    1986 BMW E30 325

Grey smoke coming from engine compartment

Background, I have been having an issue with slight, wispy, grey smoke coming from the rear of the engine bay on my e30. I never notice it when the vehicle is moving about, and no smoke is being expelled from the exhaust. I have recently changed my valve cover gasket, so I don't believe dripping oil from there is the cause. I do know that a fair few of the hoses on this vehicle have been brittle, as i've replaced them such as the valve cover breather, air intake hose for headlight, and the rubber boot after the MAF.

Additional symptoms asides from the light grey smoke...

• Feels like excessive heat is coming from the firewall, when inspecting the rear of the engine and looking for the source of the smoke, this heat is noticeable enough when its blasting you directly in the fact, I am not sure if this is normal or not for the bay to radiate so much heat.
    • The smoke smell itself is not incredibly distinct or overpowering, and has a slight tar/asphalt/burning smell
    • The smoke presents itself after the vehicle has warmed up slighty, been driven, and continues to present itself for atleast a minute after the car has been shutoff.

Also slightly related, on my overhead computer the engine coolant sensor light is on, but the coolant levels seem fine, and the coolant temp sensor always is slightly below the halfway point. Therefore I don't believe the engine is overheating, nor has a coolant hose necessarily ruptured.

Additionally, I do believe my selector seal is leaking on the transmission, however I believe that to be unrelated as smoke relating to an issue from the seal would have to mean the mtl is being flung by the driveshaft, and like ive mentioned, the smoke continues after the vehicle has been shut off.

Video of smoke: https://youtu.be/puG40o9gIjI

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Its probably just old oil that is on the back of the engine and being heated to where it smokes

My Cars
    1986 BMW E30 325
    That’s what I originally thought too but I did a full engine degrease with three cans of Gunk. I’ve driven the car atleast 5 times since then and every time it has smoke after running it
    Last edited by YoungSensei; 07-19-2020 at 01:09 PM.

My Cars
    You will have to get under and look with a mirror or a small boroscope
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1986 BMW E30 325
    So i'm still having difficulties figuring this one out guys, I've inspected from above and underneath after driving and cant necessarily find a culprit. More suggestions on where to continue my search would be appreciated, I am attaching another recent occurrence of this issue, this time far worse. In this video the smoke is clearly visible, although its origins are still unknown.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    I would expect this to be seeping through the valve cover gasket at the back of the engine. Just a little bit of oil can make a lot of smoke already when it’s dripping on the exhaust.
    Did you check with a mirror or boroscope like Superj suggested? If there is oil below the gasket area you should clean it, run the engine and see if there’s oil on it again.
    You said the gasket is new, but that’s not a guarantee that it is installed properly.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    E30 325i
    De-grease along the back of the valve cover where the half moons are, then after driving it run your finger along and see if it is oily.

Also, maybe it is coming from where the water pipe seals to the head on the back? Maybe try having a look in low light with a torch
    Last edited by actletpone; 07-22-2020 at 05:31 AM.

My Cars
    1986 BMW E30 325
    Quote Originally Posted by actletpone View Post
    De-grease along the back of the valve cover where the half moons are, then after driving it run your finger along and see if it is oily.

Also, maybe it is coming from where the water pipe seals to the head on the back? Maybe try having a look in low light with a torch
    Seems relatively oil free on the back of the valve cover, I visually inspected with flashlight, mirror, and a UV light as I have dyed oil. No visible leaks. Also inspecting by feeling for any oil resulted in decently clean hands afterwards.
    Last edited by YoungSensei; 07-23-2020 at 01:05 AM.

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    As suggested, clean the back of that head real well. Maybe a mirror with and extension would help you see back there. In that area, you have the valve cover gasket with the rubber half moons, the head gasket, and that coolant hose that goes to the heater core. That hose could have a pin hole in it or the clamp maybe loose. Its in a real tough place to see.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    1986 BMW E30 325
    So upon taking a closer look it seems one of the hose clamps on the rubber tube is broken. I didnt notice it before, because some of the metal is still there. Could this be the source of my leak? IMG_0437.jpg

My Cars
    Thats a coolant hose so you could be getting whitish snoke from the coolant being heated so much but, that is not broken so you are good.
    Last edited by superj; 07-23-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1986 BMW E30 325
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    Thats a coolant hose so you could be getting whitish snoke from the coolant being heated so much but, that is not broken so you are good.
    If you zoom in, I’m pretty sure the metal hose clamp is broken. I can see the rubber pipe where the band of metal should be.

My Cars
    you can go a head and take it off and check it out but the other part of the clamp is just encrusted with something so its hard to see.

but, I think that the valve right there that goes to the heater core and stuff is probably going to be the old style so you could look into getting the corrected valve if you are going to take that hose off anyways. not that it was recalled, but they updated it because of some kind of issue with it and causing heater core coolant issues, if I remember right. the valve is the metal thing that has three hoses hooked to it right there.

that hose looks like it hooks to the small pipe on the back of the head that is easily broken, so just fyi when taking it off. if it ends up breaking the pipe, its a deal to replace because you have to pull the head or engine to get access to the bolts.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungSensei View Post
    So upon taking a closer look it seems one of the hose clamps on the rubber tube is broken. I didnt notice it before, because some of the metal is still there. Could this be the source of my leak?
    That is the hose I mentioned yesterday and YES, that would cause your smoke (steam) upon shut down. I just had the head off on my car and that hose and clamp had me nervous upon reassembly as I'm not sure you can get to it without at least removing the intake.

But I think you found the cuplrit!
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    1986 BMW E30 325
    Ended up being tranny fluid being flung all over the exhaust lol

My Cars
    80 320i, 87 325 i & is
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungSensei View Post
    Ended up being tranny fluid being flung all over the exhaust lol
    Had that happen to my Volvo, it was just dramatic as all hell. Ended up replacing that transmission and upgrading. How's your trans?

My Cars
    1986 BMW E30 325
    The trans is relatively okay in general, it just seeps an unreal amount of fluid. Im talking 3-4 drives and the trans is empty. Really frustrating stuff.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Is this a manual or automatic?
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.