Thread: RK Tunes S52

My Cars
    E36 M3 Hardtop Vert

RK Tunes S52

Hey all,

I recently got an RK S52 OBD II Tune for my 1999 BMW M3. Being inexperienced with tuning, I took it to a performance shop here in my city with reputable work. They had worked with RK and Jordan plenty before with seemingly no issues. The tune I got was essentially known as the “burble tune” and from all of the videos I had watched over the years, RK seemed like a smart choice.

After a week I decided to give the shop a call. They told me they were having difficulties saving the stock ECU file using the software provided by RK. They said that the software would boot up normal, read the ECU, could even copy the information but when they go to hit ‘Save’ it would show an error. It’s been an additional two weeks now and still no word from RK.

With that being said I came here to ask if this seems like a problem on the RK side or possibly on the Tuning Shop’s computer? I apologize if this is not the right place to post this type of thread or if I am asking a stupid question. Like I said, I am inexperienced with tuning.

I have been looking into possibly buying a cheap tablet and trying it myself but I’d obviously prefer it be installed by someone who knows how. Either way, I appreciate any feedback. I’m at a loss now considering these tunes aren’t refundable and I’m also out an M3 at the moment. Thanks

My Cars
    1998 e36
    what software are you talking about?

My Cars
    2001 e46, S52 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by corsi36 View Post
    Hey all,

I recently got an RK S52 OBD II Tune for my 1999 BMW M3. Being inexperienced with tuning, I took it to a performance shop here in my city with reputable work. They had worked with RK and Jordan plenty before with seemingly no issues. The tune I got was essentially known as the “burble tune” and from all of the videos I had watched over the years, RK seemed like a smart choice.

After a week I decided to give the shop a call. They told me they were having difficulties saving the stock ECU file using the software provided by RK. They said that the software would boot up normal, read the ECU, could even copy the information but when they go to hit ‘Save’ it would show an error. It’s been an additional two weeks now and still no word from RK.

With that being said I came here to ask if this seems like a problem on the RK side or possibly on the Tuning Shop’s computer? I apologize if this is not the right place to post this type of thread or if I am asking a stupid question. Like I said, I am inexperienced with tuning.

I have been looking into possibly buying a cheap tablet and trying it myself but I’d obviously prefer it be installed by someone who knows how. Either way, I appreciate any feedback. I’m at a loss now considering these tunes aren’t refundable and I’m also out an M3 at the moment. Thanks
    Did you resolve this issue? I am having the exact same issue.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '01 325it
    Same here. Has anyone resolved this issue of getting the file to save?

My Cars
    18 F80 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by catchmerolling View Post
    Same here. Has anyone resolved this issue of getting the file to save?
    Hey either you did not extract the program before running, under the drop down menu clicked wrong ECU(for e36 its MS41), or your computer blocked the correct drivers from installing. Email sales@rktunes.com for help, expect a reply in 1-2 business days, if no reply then call.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '01 325it
    Thanks for the info here. I was emailing back and forth with RK Tunes and Jordan. They were really helpful / responsive. This one's on me, I was trying to select a particular vehicles / not seeing a specific option for my 1999 M3. I selected MS41 and did not select any specific ECU, and I was able to select READ and save the file. Thanks for the help.