Thread: Looking for advice on a AA Stage 2 C38 supercharger build

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4

Looking for advice on a AA Stage 2 C38 supercharger build

Need some advice for a build. S52 M3 with 110k miles on it and I'm picking up an AA Stage 2 Supercharger with a C38 blower.

Do I throw some ARP headstuds on and an M50 manifold and run it as is, or should I pull the head and have it reworked along with a cutring head gasket beforehand? If I pull the head I'd be doing port, polish, valve job, springs, seals and maybe cams.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Need some advice for a build. S52 M3 with 110k miles on it and I'm picking up an AA Stage 2 Supercharger with a C38 blower.

Do I throw some ARP headstuds on and an M50 manifold and run it as is, or should I pull the head and have it reworked along with a cutring head gasket beforehand? If I pull the head I'd be doing port, polish, valve job, springs, seals and maybe cams.

Thanks in advance.

I would definitely do the M50 manifold, that's a pretty big upgrade on a SC'd car, as well as cams. The runners are a good bit wider for more airflow with the M50 manifold. I would also highly recommend doing ARP headstuds and the cutring head gasket. It's better to do it now than to have it go on you out on the road. At 20+ years old with 110k miles on the original head gasket, while adding boost, you increase those odds. My advice on the head, based on my own experiences, don't go too crazy with the head. I got too creative so to speak with going +1 mm valves, inconel exhaust valves, upgraded springs, and had an issue because +1 mm valves were too big for stock pistons and had a piston contact the valves in I believe cylinder 2. I got VERY lucky that it barely touched and did not do any damage outside of having the contact area on the piston filed. The 2 valves were ever so slightly bent, and that was the extent of it. Karl himself at AA told me just get the head refinished and run stock valves and springs, that it's fine, so I would up having it redone as he recommended. Autohead Performance took great care of me, we shipped the head to them and turnaround time was quick. Port and polish is fine, not sure how much of a difference it will make but it won't hurt. You may want to look into a meth kit, I am currently having a Snow Performance Stage 2.5 being installed. I initially was very hesitant of adding meth, but I have come to realize a good setup has many advantages with no real drawbacks...plus I will be able to run an additional 4 psi

Are you ordering the kit new from AA? I'm assuming you're looking at the C38-81 kit? If you can swing the extra cost, the C38-92 on an E36 is a great setup I also see you're in NY, you should see if MaxPSI can do a dyno tune with Nick G for you. You would have it dialed it perfectly.
    Last edited by abradic; 07-16-2020 at 02:16 PM.
    MODS: AA SC'D Rotrex C38-92 Stage 2 (60# injectors)==M50 Manifold==Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Meth Kit==Schrick 264/256 Cams==AA Ceramic Coated Headers==AA Trackpipe==Eisenmann Race 2x76==Clutch Master FX250 Clutch==Euro Oil Cooler==MANN Provent 200 Crankcase Catch Can==AA DSB== X-Brace==ZKW 6000K HID FX-R retrofit with Orion V2 L.E.D. Angel Eyes==Euro clear signals and tail lights==M-Tech Pedals and E-Brake==BBS RGR Diamond Black 17x8; 17x9 staggered==Leather Z Gauge Kit (oil temp, oil press, voltage)==Rally Road Guage Pod (steering wheel mounted with AEM AFR guage and Prosport boost gauge)==Cut-ring head gasket==Head refresh done by Autohead Performance==KW V2 Coilover Kit

Current with 85mm pulley and meth: 450 whp 365 wtq @ 13 psi on a Dynojet at Performance Eurowerks in Buffalo Grove, IL.
    Previous: AA Mustang Dyno Tuned in Miami, FL @ 10 psi on 93 pump made 392whp 325wtq (
    Performance Eurowerks Dynojet in Buffalo Grove, IL was 410 whp and 325 wtq @ 10 psi)

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by abradic View Post
    I would definitely do the M50 manifold, that's a pretty big upgrade on a SC'd car, as well as cams. The runners are a good bit wider for more airflow with the M50 manifold. I would also highly recommend doing ARP headstuds and the cutring head gasket. It's better to do it now than to have it go on you out on the road. At 20+ years old with 110k miles on the original head gasket, while adding boost, you increase those odds. My advice on the head, based on my own experiences, don't go too crazy with the head. I got too creative so to speak with going +1 mm valves, inconel exhaust valves, upgraded springs, and had an issue because +1 mm valves were too big for stock pistons and had a piston contact the valves in I believe cylinder 2. I got VERY lucky that it barely touched and did not do any damage outside of having the contact area on the piston filed. The 2 valves were ever so slightly bent, and that was the extent of it. Karl himself at AA told me just get the head refinished and run stock valves and springs, that it's fine, so I would up having it redone as he recommended. Autohead Performance took great care of me, we shipped the head to them and turnaround time was quick. Port and polish is fine, not sure how much of a difference it will make but it won't hurt. You may want to look into a meth kit, I am currently having a Snow Performance Stage 2.5 being installed. I initially was very hesitant of adding meth, but I have come to realize a good setup has many advantages with no real drawbacks...plus I will be able to run an additional 4 psi

Are you ordering the kit new from AA? I'm assuming you're looking at the C38-81 kit? If you can swing the extra cost, the C38-92 on an E36 is a great setup I also see you're in NY, you should see if MaxPSI can do a dyno tune with Nick G for you. You would have it dialed it perfectly.
    Good to know I shouldn't have to go too crazy with the head. Standard refinish and maybe cams then. Would certainly cut down some of the cost. Did you end up doing anything to the block or did you leave it alone? I'm buying a used kit with I believe the C38-81. As for the manifold, I'll definitely be using an M50 mani I have on hand.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    I had just the Cutring for awhile and ran 11.5psi on pump gas for about 400whp.

That's about the limit for pump and stock compression.

So it depends on yours goals.

I have since added the copper gasket spacer for 9:1 compression. Now I run 15+psi on pump.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There are one or two members with a well done AA kit that make over 400 rwhp. You might be able to find the details with some searching.

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    I didn’t do anything to the block. Right now I’m at 10 psi and stock compression with the cut ring head gasket and arp head studs. I’m in the process of adding meth and roughly 4 psi, so I’ll be 13-14 psi with stock compression. Per Karl at AA he said that would be the limit without lowering compression...I believe the old HKS kit went 13 psi on stock compression for the E36 and E46 M3’s ran 11 psi with stock compression and meth, and their compression was I believe 11:1. The C38-81 maxes out at 11-12 psi on an S52 so you should be fine.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    It really depends on your power goals, I didn’t do head studs or anything to the motor besides what I had already done when it was NA plus cams, I am also just at 6 psi and made 330 to the wheel, but if you want to make more you want to be safe.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    I think I'm going to leave the head on for now and just do ARP head studs to play it safe. I'll just the stock pulley it comes with, an M50 mani and a tune. In the meantime I'll save up to get the head refinished along with cams and other upgrades when I'm ready to take it all apart. Ultimate goal would be to be at 400-450 at the wheels.
    Last edited by LockDots; 07-18-2020 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I’d recommend dropping compression for 400-450 rwhp if using pump gas. But if taking the motor apart, put a turbo on it

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    I think I'm going to leave the head on for now and just do ARP head studs to play it safe. I'll just the stock pulley it comes with, an M50 mani and a tune. In the meantime I'll save up to get the head refinished along with cams and other upgrades when I'm ready to take it all apart. Ultimate goal would be to be at 400-450 at the wheels.
    Make sure to make a thread when it's all together! The C38-81 blower will get you about 400 whp in stage 2 guise fully set up with cams, headers, exhaust. I'm not sure if meth was needed, or if adding that would push you higher into the 400's. A couple of the guys on here might be able to tell you. Are you running a stock clutch? You'll definitely like your setup and then you'll have some extra power to look forward to
    MODS: AA SC'D Rotrex C38-92 Stage 2 (60# injectors)==M50 Manifold==Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Meth Kit==Schrick 264/256 Cams==AA Ceramic Coated Headers==AA Trackpipe==Eisenmann Race 2x76==Clutch Master FX250 Clutch==Euro Oil Cooler==MANN Provent 200 Crankcase Catch Can==AA DSB== X-Brace==ZKW 6000K HID FX-R retrofit with Orion V2 L.E.D. Angel Eyes==Euro clear signals and tail lights==M-Tech Pedals and E-Brake==BBS RGR Diamond Black 17x8; 17x9 staggered==Leather Z Gauge Kit (oil temp, oil press, voltage)==Rally Road Guage Pod (steering wheel mounted with AEM AFR guage and Prosport boost gauge)==Cut-ring head gasket==Head refresh done by Autohead Performance==KW V2 Coilover Kit

Current with 85mm pulley and meth: 450 whp 365 wtq @ 13 psi on a Dynojet at Performance Eurowerks in Buffalo Grove, IL.
    Previous: AA Mustang Dyno Tuned in Miami, FL @ 10 psi on 93 pump made 392whp 325wtq (
    Performance Eurowerks Dynojet in Buffalo Grove, IL was 410 whp and 325 wtq @ 10 psi)

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I’d recommend dropping compression for 400-450 rwhp if using pump gas. But if taking the motor apart, put a turbo on it

Haha, I've been in plenty of turbo E36s. I love the simplicity of supercharging though, and the different feel they have. Love turbos too, but my heart has been set on supercharging for a while. Once it ready for more power after this I'll throw in a CES cut ring and spacer while the head is off.

Make sure to make a thread when it's all together! The C38-81 blower will get you about 400 whp in stage 2 guise fully set up with cams, headers, exhaust. I'm not sure if meth was needed, or if adding that would push you higher into the 400's. A couple of the guys on here might be able to tell you. Are you running a stock clutch? You'll definitely like your setup and then you'll have some extra power to look forward to
    Will do!

I currently have Turner shorty headers, Magnaflow cats and Corsa catback. May go catless later, not sure. Would definitely love to put in some aggressive cams later on and other smaller upgrades.

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    Haha, I've been in plenty of turbo E36s. I love the simplicity of supercharging though, and the different feel they have. Love turbos too, but my heart has been set on supercharging for a while. Once it ready for more power after this I'll throw in a CES cut ring and spacer while the head is off.

Will do!

I currently have Turner shorty headers, Magnaflow cats and Corsa catback. May go catless later, not sure. Would definitely love to put in some aggressive cams later on and other smaller upgrades.

We definitely don't get supercharger love in this forum! I can definitely understand why the turbos are the way to go, my cousin had a monster setup that felt like warp speed...they really do make big power and have way more midrange but I just love the way my car is set up. If you want something with big torque and 500+ whp no doubt go straight to turbo. I'm very happy with my current power level and if you end up at around 400 whp you'll have tons of fun. Since I'm only at 10 psi with 17 psi possible out of my blower I decided not to under utilize it so much So roughly 14 psi will be it. I love the linear power where it just keeps feeling better and better, it's very fun to rev out. I'm in the minority on here to be sure.

Those shorty headers should help your mid range a bit. With the SC setup you don't want to go too aggressive with cams due to valve overlap, what is recommended is the Schrick 264/256 setup. VAC also has a SC cam, and metric mechanic can set you up too.
    Last edited by abradic; 07-18-2020 at 11:20 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    We definitely don't get supercharger love in this forum! I can definitely understand why the turbos are the way to go, my cousin had a monster setup that felt like warp speed...they really do make big power and have way more midrange but I just love the way my car is set up. If you want something with big torque and 500+ whp no doubt go straight to turbo. I'm very happy with my current power level and if you end up at around 400 whp you'll have tons of fun. Since I'm only at 10 psi with 17 psi possible out of my blower I decided not to under utilize it so much So roughly 14 psi will be it. I love the linear power where it just keeps feeling better and better, it's very fun to rev out. I'm in the minority on here to be sure.

Those shorty headers should help your mid range a bit. With the SC setup you don't want to go too aggressive with cams due to valve overlap, what is recommended is the Schrick 264/256 setup. VAC also has a SC cam, and metric mechanic can set you up too.
    The VAC cams are actually what I was considering.

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    The VAC cams are actually what I was considering.

Can't go wrong with them!

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    I have both the shorty headers and schrick 265/256 cams with me VF SC setup, but I also have the bimmerworld trackpipe so that might help a little.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJordanWhitte View Post
    I have both the shorty headers and schrick 265/256 cams with me VF SC setup, but I also have the bimmerworld trackpipe so that might help a little.
    That should sound great through that Stromung
    Last edited by abradic; 07-19-2020 at 12:10 AM.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    That should sound great through that Stromung
    Ha! It does
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Back home with a trunk full of goodies!

Last edited by LockDots; 07-23-2020 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    Looking good