Thread: Fix for broken wood trim clip mount??

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90

Fix for broken wood trim clip mount??

Just wondering if anyone else has had this (I'm sure the answer is yes) and if there is a valid fix for it. Wood trim above glovebox. Last clip to the right will not engage in the hole because hole is worn from over-use

Anyone ever fix this?

IMG_6688.jpgIMG_6689.jpg

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    You fix that by buying a new plastic anchor with the metal clip that grabs hold of the trims peg and keeps it in place. Go do some legwork on realoem, you know the drill. Chances are, if one of them is messed up, I’m sure some of the others are bad too. They are the same as the ones on the door trims too, they’re cheap, buy a few extras and store them in your stash of extra perts.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Same problem....I bought 10 of them last year.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Dash and door retainers are different
    #10 for the dash
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2277
    #10 for the dash
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ip-51457000912
    #11 for the door
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ip-51417001629

I tried putting in a new retainer in that same location, but it still would not hold reliably. Added some double stick tape. I think my issue was the retainer itself would not stay in the dash, so the retainer was what was coming out with the trim. guess I need to use some epoxy or something to glue that retainer in solidly
    Last edited by f355spider; 07-14-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    540i/6, 911 C4
    I have had the same problem on both my e39s. In my case it is the hole in the dash where the plastic retainers go into that rips. Therefore there isn't enough grip to hold those trim clips in place.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    Dash and door retainers are different
    #10 for the end piece
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2277
    #10 for the dash
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ip-51457000912
    #11 for the door
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ip-51417001629

I tried putting in a new retainer in that same location, but it still would not hold reliably. Added some double stick tape. I think my issue was the retainer itself would not stay in the dash, so the retainer was what was coming out with the trim. guess I need to use some epoxy or something to glue that retainer in solidly
    They’re different? Huh! Lemme check to see if my brain is still with us...... crap, partial loss, I’ma goner, move along, nothing to see here.

Yeah, you guys with the worn out holes..... lol, I’m sure some epoxy would hold those clips in place.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by b2ke View Post
    I have had the same problem on both my e39s. In my case it is the hole in the dash where the plastic retainers go into that rips. Therefore there isn't enough grip to hold those trim clips in place.
    Exactly my issue. Need to figure out a way to glue/affix the retainer into the hole in the dash
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    This! The clips are fine, its the dash hole that has lost its rigidity over time (like all of us). Has anyone figured out a way to fix the dash area? I guess I could come in from the glovebox and maybe use a fiberglass strengthener?

The problem with fiberglass is its not pliable and once the clip is in place, its not coming out, making future work in the area even more difficult.
    Last edited by kouks; 07-14-2020 at 12:45 PM.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    03 540i6 M-Sport
    This is my problem also.

In the exact spot the OP has an issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Same thing that will make you smile will make you cry. Was that a piston?

My Cars
    540i/6, 911 C4
    Might as well add this to the list of common problems to look out for when buying an e39

"Have the guides been done? Or more importantly, is the wood trim on the dash still intact and flush?"
    Last edited by b2ke; 07-14-2020 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Had this happen to me while installing a new head unit in a friend's 2003 525i with ~30k miles and I'm still profusely apologizing to him. I couldn't even tell you how careful I was and the rightmost clip broke the plastic behind the dash. It was actually crumbling to pieces (what E39 plastic isn't?). I think my own car has the same issue and the clips are loose (the trim hasn't separated from the dash, though) and I've been trying to figure out how to fix it. Maybe cutting a piece of plastic out of the back of an old CD case and jb welding it behind the broken piece?
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    So, couldn’t sleep, was reading this thread again, and my strange mind did remind me that I had a spare lower dash piece sitting in my basement...... yeah, I know, I have some issues, and a ton of parts all over the place.
    So, took some shots. This dash came of my old green wagon which had well over 213,000 miles on it, I bought that car when it had 38,000 on the clock. I must have changed out the trims at least 5 or 6 different times on that car and the anchors are still the same originals that came with the car. Note, there is a slight crack on the nylon anchor. So even I am not perfect, and I only did work on taking cars apart and put them back together for a living. The secret is, to have a general idea of where the clips are, and placing the trim tool right where the anchors are, a trim tool with the proper gaps to slip perfectly around the trims peg, would be the best way, this gives you proper removal without stretching the nylon anchor out of the dash’s hole. But if you get the tool generally right next to the anchors would be ok too.
    The clips have a barb on both sides, they go through the vynil or leather surface, through the foam, then the back plate material is hard plastic, the barbs lock in on the plastic. Most are having issues here on the corners because most people try to completely pull the corner sections out while the middle pegs are still all the way in. So it stresses the plastic backing on the corner sections of the dash. The trick is, start at the corners, once it slips out a bit, move to the next ones, a bit at a time, evenly pulling the trim off. You do this with all trim pieces, inside or out.

I took some pictures, on the back side, press the anchor in all the way, a tiny bit of epoxy on both sides where the anchors barbs are is all you need. Prep is king. So this nylon material is conducive to glues and epoxies breaking loose, as the nylon is kind of a slimy material. So, with a blade, or Exacto knife, etch some cut lines into the material, its thin, so don’t go Big Jim Bundy strength on it and cut through, just enough to roughen up the surfaces, do this on the plastic back material on the dash too, of course, clean the area and the anchor with some alcohol to get rid of oils, and boogers, or whatever else may have contaminated the area through the years. A dab of epoxy on both sides of the barbs, and let it set. While you are t it, do all the other clips too. Why just a dab? Well, thats all you really need, but more importantly, in case you do end up having to replace the anchor clip In the future, it won’t be a major pain in the butt to break the old one off.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    I'm going to try the plastic backing mentioned above. May take me a while to get to it, but I'll post pics if it works. If anyone else tries something and it works, please post.

So, couldn’t sleep, was reading this thread again, and my strange mind did remind me that I had a spare lower dash piece sitting in my basement...... yeah, I know, I have some issues, and a ton of parts all over the place. - Too funny.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Is there a way to reach up behind and install a reinforced metal retaining ring on the plastic anchor?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by f355spider; 07-15-2020 at 06:26 PM.

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Is there a way to reach up behind and install a reinforced metal retaining ring on the plastic anchor?
    On my e38 I can remove the top of the glovebox and get behind the dash, I assume the e39 is the same.

Yep, here it is on newTIS.info: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-panel/BmqwHLh

Actually, that whole lower section of the Dash comes out and you can work on it on the bench, then re-install.

You can also pop open the airbag cover and go to it that way, but don't know what room there is for big hands without taking out the airbag, which requires disconnecting the battery before you unplug it.
    Last edited by kouks; 07-15-2020 at 07:45 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The anchor isn’t round, you wouldn’t be able to get it on the anchor. That lower piece of dashboard isn’t hard to pull off at all, just tedious because of all the things you need to take off. But it is not hard.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    The anchor isn’t round, you wouldn’t be able to get it on the anchor. That lower piece of dashboard isn’t hard to pull off at all, just tedious because of all the things you need to take off. But it is not hard.
    Doesn't need to be round to force that retaining ring on, as long as you have a few different sizes. I will try epoxy first, before tearing apart the dash...gonna order a fresh trim clip first

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Doesn't need to be round to force that retaining ring on, as long as you have a few different sizes. I will try epoxy first, before tearing apart the dash...gonna order a fresh trim clip first
    Good point! For some reason, I wasn’t thinking when I responded. But hell yeah! It would work, if you could get the right size, it will grab on the sides, instead of the barbed sides, still would work like a champ.