Thread: Checking Off the Maintenance List!

My Cars
    1998 540i/6

Checking Off the Maintenance List!

I just completed several major maintenance jobs I have had on the list for some time so I thought I'd come here to show off a little.

I needed to do the valve cover gaskets because they have been leaking a little oil for the past 10,000 miles or so. Honestly they weren't that bad, but while I was in there it gave the opportunity to do many other things at the same time.

I live north of San Francisco, but my long time friend owns a shop in San Diego. Two weeks ago I made the trek down there to get some help wrenching on my car, also the fact that he gets shop prices on parts doesn't hurt either.

Over the last two weeks we gave my car a ton of love, as well as a full detail, inside and out. It's never run better or been cleaner. The only problem is now I want to replace everything that's a little worn. Kinda like when you clean your house and then you notice all the little things that need to get done that you didn't notice before.

Here is a list of what we did:

-Front wheel bearings
    -Timing chain guides
    -Valve cover gaskets
    -Replaced broken trunk switch
    -Lower oil pan gasket
    -Replaced all the belt tensioners and wheels
    -Timing chain tensioner
    -Motor mounts
    -The seals in the motor mount arm
    -Front crank seal
    -Fuel filter
    -Spark plugs
    -Valley pan
    -Oil filter
    -Rebuilt the intake manifold
    -New fan clutch
    -Parking brake shoes
    -Raised the rear 1/4"
    -CCV
    -Replaced a broken interior door handle
    -Replaced all the seals and gaskets along the way and then some

One of my coilovers is leaking and the rear suspension is getting a little worn, so next time we can tackle that. For now I'd say she's a happy car.

Here's some pics for fun.

Cheers y'all!

DSC_0294.jpgDSC_0293.jpgDSCPDC_0002_BURST20200706125237112.jpgDSC_0288.jpg
    Last edited by baneoh; 07-13-2020 at 05:27 PM.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Congrats, beautiful looking car!
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    2000 EuroSport RHD 540it
    Beautiful sedan, what color is it? Looks like Glacier Green, one of the best looking colors on an e39 in my opinion, but I am a little biased
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo8 View Post
    Beautiful sedan, what color is it? Looks like Glacier Green, one of the best looking colors on an e39 in my opinion, but I am a little biased
    Yep! Glacier Green. Always garaged, never been hit. Took me a while to find the right E39 and the color was definitely one of the deciding factors. It looks different depending on the time of day. I never know what to say when people ask what color it is. Um, light blue? Silver green? At night it might just be silver? So cool.

My Cars
    2000 EuroSport RHD 540it
    Interesting to see that you have what look like dual fuel lines in the engine bay, I only have one, it looks factory so maybe another difference between a US and UK spec car? I was lucky enough to buy my wagon from a classmate in college, their family had used it as a rural mail carrier bc is was RHD, and it just happened to be Glacier Green. Fantastic color and 1000% true on how it changes color depending on the lighting
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mateo8; 07-13-2020 at 06:37 PM.