Thread: Original BMW GT1 Installation

My Cars
    Alpina BMW B12 5.7 Coupé

Original BMW GT1 Installation

Hello Bimmers,

I managed to lay my hands on an original GT1. A friend of mine gave it to me, because he believes that I can fix it.
    After days of trying out different things I´m at a point I need a little help, or at least a hint to progress further.
    I managed to get the WIPE CD working, as well as the Installation GT1 (V1.1). After successfully installing "Installation GT1" it asks me to insert the "GT1 Base CD V44" and restart.
    When restating it boots correctly, but the installation is aborted at a specific point.
    The Message that appears is following:
    "
    Modify base system (hww).
    dparam: could not open special device: No such device
    !!! Harddisk partitioning failed !!!

installation aborted !!!
    check CD and DVD-Drive !!!
    "

I would love to get in touch with someone who is an expert when it comes to original GT1, or someone who knows where I can get more information that are NOT regarding to EasyDIS.

Kind regards, siczzz

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    dparam: could not open special device: No such device
    This suggests the installer was unable to find the harddisk...

What is strange is that the GT1 Install CD seems to have worked just fine. Note that the GT1 Install CD is based on Linux and supports much more hardware than the GT1 Base System CD which is based on SCO OpenServer (Unix). Furthermore the GT1 Base System CD refuses to partition a harddisk that is not of the same size as the original harddisk (but if that was the case you'd get "Harddisk partitioning failed" without the dparam error and there are ways around that).

1. Do you know whether the harddisk was replaced? The original harddisk is a Toshiba MK2018GAS. It's not that others can't work but I found some harddisks not being detected correctly by SCO OpenServer. It's impossible to install the GT1 Base System on these drives even though they work fine for other operating systems.

2. Can you make a video of the system booting from the Base System CD and upload it to, say, YouTube?

3. You may also wish to boot a Linux live CD and perform some diagnostics on the harddisk. It may be difficult to find a modern Linux distro that can boot from the the old Group Tester One hardware, but older live CDs should work fine. A good one is GParted Live as it comes with GSmartControl (to view harddisk SMART data). I've used GParted Live 0.20.0-3 with success on the Group Tester One (direct download link). Burn the ISO to a CD (preferably at a lower speed), hook up a USB keyboard and mouse to the Group Tester One (touch screen will not work), and boot the Group Tester One from the freshly burnt CD. Hit the the arrow down key repeatedly after powering on the machine until you get into the GParted Live boot menu. Select the default (first) option and press Enter. During startup a few questions may be asked but you can proceed with the default options by pressing Enter. After a long wait you'll get onto the GParted Live desktop and GParted (partition editor) opens. Close it (it does not support the SCO OpenServer partitions anyways). Instead right click on the desktop, select "File/System utils" > "GSmartControl". In GSmartControl you can see the harddisk and CD/DVD. Right click the harddisk and select "View details". On the "Identity" tab GSmartControl displays the harddisk details (manufacturer, model, size...), on the "Attributes" tab the SMART data and finally on the "Perform Tests" tab you can run a short or extended self-test.

My Cars
    2002 bmw e39 530
    Hi Revtor
    I need some help
    I got original gt1 and diag head cables
    When open diagnostic ,5 ser. E39-message-job is not complete