Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Technique Tuning - Still around?

My Cars
    ///M Roadster, Cooper S

Technique Tuning - Still around?

Hey fellow members.

I'm wondering if anyone has had contact with Nick G from Technique Tuning this year. I've sent him a couple of emails and haven't heard back. Is he still in business?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Subscribed

* 19x10 & 8.5 Work VS-XX -Rogue 18mm spacers * Hankook Ventus RS3 * H&R coil-overs * Dinan strut brace * Magnaflow 14815 custom stepped tips. * TT stg2 Turbo -416rwhp * AEM truboost * Mocal / Ireland Engineering oil cooler * Roadstersound 8 with custom set-up * flipped hats *RF Rear Subframe Kit *STG3 F1 Racing Clucth & Flywheel

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    From my experience he's started a family and out of the tuning game. You need to know the right people just to get a hold of him.

I had his tune and was very happy. My new setup, he was my first choice but when MIA I had to make other choices.
    Last edited by Jamesons Viggen; 07-12-2020 at 09:59 AM.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    He still tunes. He posted in the forum about a month ago when someone was asking about the correct resistor for one of his tunes. He did a 93 pump plus meth 80 lb tune for me late last year. He was my first choice. I got one of his early 60 lb tunes when I changed from a supercharger to turbo in 2010 and ran that tune with 2 motors, 4 turbos, 3 manifolds, and up to 675 rwhp.

He is most responsive to the few individuals or shops he works through and does not seem to be much interested in doing tunes for people who don’t really know what they are doing and have cars that need sorting out before they can be tuned. John at CES Motorsports might be able to get you a tune from Nick.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    He still tunes. He posted in the forum about a month ago when someone was asking about the correct resistor for one of his tunes. He did a 93 pump plus meth 80 lb tune for me late last year. He was my first choice. I got one of his early 60 lb tunes when I changed from a supercharger to turbo in 2010 and ran that tune with 2 motors, 4 turbos, 3 manifolds, and up to 675 rwhp.

He is most responsive to the few individuals or shops he works through and does not seem to be much interested in doing tunes for people who don’t really know what they are doing and have cars that need sorting out before they can be tuned. John at CES Motorsports might be able to get you a tune from Nick.

He tuned my car this year at CES remotely. Unfortunately, the oil pump gear just fell off and engine was a total loss, but was unrelated. The tune was worth it and is OEM quality. He does not seem to want any direct contact with customers and only talked to John @CES (Just setting your expectations) while tuning.

Last edited by wgknestrick; 07-12-2020 at 12:15 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Can you share the dyno sheet? Dont think anyone else has used the 8474 yet

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac834 View Post
    Can you share the dyno sheet? Dont think anyone else has used the 8474 yet

Here you go: Bill K 98 E36 M3 8474 EFR 93 oct Nick G tune Dyno.png

Steedspeed manifold, catted exhaust, stock engine, 93oct. I will soon have the engine to let this turbo sing, but it is a great turbo match for these cars. Very responsive.
    Last edited by wgknestrick; 07-13-2020 at 08:46 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I’d line to see that 8474 cranked up to 25 psi. I bet it would wake up nicely. 500 lbs rwtq at 4000 at 17 psi is good but not exceptional. I did that with an old school GT35R on an open Boostlogic. The 8474 might hit 500 lbs sooner at 25 psi.

CES hit 500 lbs at about 3200 with an EFR 8374.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1-2-Mile-event

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    That turbo makes 440whp at 11psi, its working well. Another 6 lbs only adds 80whp, so he has some restriction, likely that exhaust.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster, Cooper S

Bummer..

I bought his E36 kit years back. Still runs great, but I have some changes I'd like to make to the tune.

If I cant reach him, who else is tuning the factory ME these days? Is there software available that I can use myself?

Thanks for the all the responses.

* 19x10 & 8.5 Work VS-XX -Rogue 18mm spacers * Hankook Ventus RS3 * H&R coil-overs * Dinan strut brace * Magnaflow 14815 custom stepped tips. * TT stg2 Turbo -416rwhp * AEM truboost * Mocal / Ireland Engineering oil cooler * Roadstersound 8 with custom set-up * flipped hats *RF Rear Subframe Kit *STG3 F1 Racing Clucth & Flywheel

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by billyr3d View Post
    Bummer..

I bought his E36 kit years back. Still runs great, but I have some changes I'd like to make to the tune.

If I cant reach him, who else is tuning the factory ME these days? Is there software available that I can use myself?

Thanks for the all the responses.
    RomRaider allows tuning, free download, you'll need an OBD cable.

22RPD seems to be killing it with boosted S52 tunes lately.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Yeah he’s still around. He posted this today

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    Yeah he’s still around. He posted this today
    Ka boooom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    A few

My Cars
    ///M Roadster, Cooper S
    Thanks for the info - Guess he's been busy - I understand how family life can get. I'll shoot him another email I suppose. If he does't respond however, any links of the most reputable tuners would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Ask John at CES Motorsport if he can get you a NickG tune.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Ask John at CES Motorsport if he can get you a NickG tune.
    It appears you can ask Zack too.

My Cars
    M3 e36
    I am curious if Zack(Vollosso) has the balls to admit this,because i heard a long time ago that he stole his tune.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Hasn't every tuner been accused of stealing his work? TRM, rk tunes

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by M3turboE36 View Post
    I am curious if Zack(Vollosso) has the balls to admit this,because i heard a long time ago that he stole his tune.
    Zack denies it. A year or two ago, I told him that was what I had heard and he vehemently claimed those rumors were false and that he developed his own tunes.

Tuners and others have been looking at NickG tunes for years. I remember more than ten years ago when George at ICS sent a NickG supercharger tune to Karl at Active Autowerk. Karl apparently commented that NickG was doing things Karl had never seen before and was not aware of. I have also heard that people using romraider have copied NickG 60lb turbo tunes. They may not be able to understand what NickG is doing but they can copy it.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac834 View Post
    Hasn't every tuner been accused of stealing his work? TRM, rk tunes

You forgot to add TRM stole from AA .

Who’s counting right

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    And maybe Technica took what it learned from TRM?

My Cars
    Bima
    i think why work from scratch where you can work off of other people research.
    someone had to start it from scratch and others work from that and improve.

then there's an engine tune
    where there's going to be a narrow window where things just end up and work great.
    Last edited by Robocop; 07-17-2020 at 11:58 AM.

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    i think why work from scratch where you can work off of other people research.
    someone had to start it from scratch and others work from that and improve.

then there's an engine tune
    where there's going to be a narrow window where things just end up and work great.
    This is where people don’t understand and start defending others without adequate knowledge.

NickG has made custom program code changes(very uncommon for a tuner to do in the first place) which are present (identical) in 22rpd’s flashes.

When confronted, 22rpd did their typical response of vague wording and could not definitively describe these changes.

It’s one thing for a tuner to say “oh hey, xyz tuner modified this dashpot table, let me play with it and see how it works” but in this case, code alterations were copied.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    This is where people don’t understand and start defending others without adequate knowledge.

NickG has made custom program code changes(very uncommon for a tuner to do in the first place) which are present (identical) in 22rpd’s flashes.

When confronted, 22rpd did their typical response of vague wording and could not definitively describe these changes.

It’s one thing for a tuner to say “oh hey, xyz tuner modified this dashpot table, let me play with it and see how it works” but in this case, code alterations were copied.
    I agree sucks big time.

― George Orwell

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Wow, that escalated quickly.

I paid $1200 for my Nick G tune. Was very happy.

I contacted him first with no response.

Had I not heard he was largely MIA I wouldn't have had to seek tuning elsewhere.

So I can't speak to the stolen tube debate

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast