Thread: Follow up: Cooling system overhaul

My Cars
    95' M3,

Follow up: Cooling system overhaul

A few weeks ago I broke down because the top hose on the radiator blew off the neck. It was cracked and clearly needed to be replaced and so I did just that. Full overhaul kit from FCP with a new Mishi radiator. Just got everything buttoned up minus the coolant level sensor and the aux fan switch that goes into the side of the radiator since the kit came with the incorrect switches.

I added my coolant and did the standard massaging of the upper/lower hose and then started it up with the heater on. I had it running for about 10 mins and started checking the sides of the radiator and the hoses since I noticed I still was not getting any heat from the heater. The right hand side (when looking at the engine) of the radiator was very hot, the left hand side was not at all. I then looked at the temp gage and I was at 12 o'clock so all was good there. I let it run a little bit longer and then decided to turn it off. I rechecked my left side to see if that got warm at all and nothing had changed.

Thermostat is brand new- though I did not throw it into any water to see if it opened.

Does this sound like I need to keep bleeding the system of air since I did the entire overhaul? Or is the thermostat stuck/failed?

My Cars
    99 M3

Follow up: Cooling system overhaul

You should have been opening (cracking) the bleed screw all through the warm up process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 07-11-2020 at 08:56 PM.

My Cars
    95' M3,
    We are good! I let it cycle a few times and then finally started getting heat from the heater. I was so worried I was going to have to take it all apart again!!

Yay to new cooling system, rebuild power steering system, power pulleys