Thread: Seat belt light flashes

My Cars
    2000 BMW 330 Ci

Post Seat belt light flashes

I'd have thought this was a common issue, but I can't find a solutions here. Perhaps I missed it?

My seat belt light flashes for exactly 10 minutes (have timed it many times) then goes out.

I asked the mechanic to read the fault codes for me - the codes said:
    - Seat-backrest locking, driver.
    - Seat-backrest locking, passenger.

BACKGROUND:
    I previously swapped out both the seats to resolve the Seat Occupancy Sensor issue - but inherited the seat belt error...

THOUGHTS:
    - The error appears to be on both seats (strange)
    - I didn't have this error with the previous seats (identical seats)
    - The connections on the large yellow plug ahev been checked and cleaned with cleaner/contact spray
    - The seatbelt tensioners appear intact

I can swap out the switches with the ones I took from the seats I removed, but it's a lot of work...and I won't know if it has fixed the issue until I have done BOTH (since the fault code dongle I have is an ELM327 and doesn't the errors like the mechanic's system does)

Has anyone else seen the same "seat belt light flashes for exactly 10 minutes" issue?

Thanks all

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    I hope you are doing well in Melbourne with the lockdown and all. It sounds a little tough over there at the moment.

I suggest that you set yourself up with the INPS diagnostic software (free) and the special leads (cheap), so you can test all the modules in your car yourself. Here is a link to INPA https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

I would swap in the original drivers seat to see if that gets rid of the backrest locking code for the drivers seat. If it does then you need to investigate and compare the wiring of the yellow plug for each seat to see what is different and work back into the seats from there.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Actually, the software is INPA. The new seats may be incompatible with your car’s electronix. Did the new seats come from an E46 of the same year? I’m wondering if there’s coding that needs to be done. Did you disconnect the battery when you did the swap?