Thread: 02 325i car will not unlock with key or FOB. Please help!!!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i

02 325i car will not unlock with key or FOB. Please help!!!

Hi all,

My issue is that the lock cylinder stopped working on driver door a while back, passenger door does NOT have manual key hole. Key goes in only about 1/2 into hole and will NOT rotate to either direction. So I've been forced to only use the remote FOB key to unlock/lock doors. Since a week ago I have NOT been able to unlock my car with FOB anymore. I have replaced the FOB battery with a new Panasonic VL 2020 battery but still won't unlock car. I do not have folding rear seats or ski passage so cannot go in through truck, truck does open by the way with key. I called a locksmith to come open car for me thinking maybe its a central lock fuse issue. Locksmith was NOT able to unlock car using the long rod thing or using the hook wire between window and door so I am still locked out of car. Wondering if maybe try another more BMW experienced locksmith or is my only option is to break a window? Anyone on here have experience with this issue they can share?

Car battery is good by the way too. When I open trunk with manual key the trunk lights come on, just to rule out it not having enough voltage I jumped it while trying the FOB and still nothing.

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Quote Originally Posted by alexgmzz View Post
    Hi all,

My issue is that the lock cylinder stopped working on driver door a while back, passenger door does NOT have manual key hole. Key goes in only about 1/2 into hole and will NOT rotate to either direction. So I've been forced to only use the remote FOB key to unlock/lock doors. Since a week ago I have NOT been able to unlock my car with FOB anymore. I have replaced the FOB battery with a new Panasonic VL 2020 battery but still won't unlock car. I do not have folding rear seats or ski passage so cannot go in through truck, truck does open by the way with key. I called a locksmith to come open car for me thinking maybe its a central lock fuse issue. Locksmith was NOT able to unlock car using the long rod thing or using the hook wire between window and door so I am still locked out of car. Wondering if maybe try another more BMW experienced locksmith or is my only option is to break a window? Anyone on here have experience with this issue they can share?

Car battery is good by the way too. When I open trunk with manual key the trunk lights come on, just to rule out it not having enough voltage I jumped it while trying the FOB and still nothing.
    Fob doesn't work with a new battery. ..but yet will open the trunk?
    Can't remember if that's the correct battery...could it (fob) need to be reprogrammed?

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
    Last edited by X3456; 07-10-2020 at 01:39 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by X3456 View Post
    Fob doesn't work with a new battery. ..but yet will open the trunk?
    Can't remember it that's the correct battery...could it need to be reprogrammed?

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
    Hmm, I think you may be right. I had read something a while back about having to reprogramming the FOB when replacing the battery. Prior to replacing the FOB battery the FOB stopped opening the car or trunk. I replaced the FOB battery and FOB still does not open the car or trunk. Trunk only opens with manual key with old and new FOB battery. I guess I can try to get a locksmith that specializes or has more experience with BMW's to try to open car then try to reprogram the FOB with new battery to see if that works before going through the additional expense of new FOB

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Hmm, I think you may be right. I had read something a while back about having to reprogramming the FOB when replacing the battery. Prior to replacing the FOB battery the FOB stopped opening the car or trunk. I replaced the FOB battery and FOB still does not open the car or trunk. Trunk only opens with manual key with old and new FOB battery. I guess I can try to get a locksmith that specializes or has more experience with BMW's to try to open car then try to reprogram the FOB with new battery to see if that works before going through the additional expense of new FOB
    Simply reprogram the battery yourself...
    Do a search here find the directions. It may take a couple of tries but once you get the hang of it np.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by X3456 View Post
    Simply reprogram the battery yourself...
    Do a search here find the directions. It may take a couple of tries but once you get the hang of it np.

Ok, I did a search and read some posts. I now remember why I read it the first time around a few days ago. In order to program the battery and FOB I need to be in the car. Do a few steps like put ignition into position 1 ,etc... so I'll need to get into the car anyway. Under normal circumstances using the key manually would open the door then I can follow the FOB program steps, in my case since the lock cylinder isn't working I can't get into car using the key manually. So really sounds like I'll have to try another locksmith and hope they can get it unlocked then try the reprogram if if that doesn't work then have them make me a new key

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Ok, I did a search and read some posts. I now remember why I read it the first time around a few days ago. In order to program the battery and FOB I need to be in the car. Do a few steps like put ignition into position 1 ,etc... so I'll need to get into the car anyway. Under normal circumstances using the key manually would open the door then I can follow the FOB program steps, in my case since the lock cylinder isn't working I can't get into car using the key manually. So really sounds like I'll have to try another locksmith and hope they can get it unlocked then try the reprogram if if that doesn't work then have them make me a new key
    Ahhhh! I see...Here, let me search for some info...if I recall reading.....

Locked Key in Cabin or Trunk/Dead key and broken door lock combo

See this thread for opening your trunk without a key. Going through the ski-pass in the middle is also a relatively clean way. If your pass-thru isn't openable, you can drill a hole and try to work a coat hangar hook through there to grab the glow in the dark emergency release handle inside the trunk.
    If you have a dead keyfob in connection with a broken lock cylinder, the best method is to try to revive your dead keyfob with a temporary fresh battery (see electrical section of wiki for full battery replacement DIY). A simple 3v calculator battery can be wired to your open keyfob in a pinch for a very temporary work around until you can replace the rechargeable battery.
    If you can't get in using a key, the top corner of the driver's door or passenger's door may be gently pried open a little and then propped open to allow a coat hangar (or simliar) to be slid in to grab one of the interior door handles for the double-pull. Wrap the prying tools and coat hangar in protective tape so finishes do not get scratched. Pushing the unlock button will not work as the computer has built in security routines to prevent such a "break-in" attempt. If the car has been locked with a keyfob remote, the double-pulls will be disabled, but they can be re-enabled by pressing the central lock button by the parking brake handle. Due to the design of the locking mechanism in the doors, a traditional "slim jim" approach will not work.

Last edited by X3456; 07-11-2020 at 07:39 AM.