Thread: S52 Lower Rad hose rubbing

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster,e46 325i

S52 Lower Rad hose rubbing

Hi, anyone who's an expert on the S52 cooling system.. Have you noticed a tight clearance of the lower rad hose and the AC compressor? THeres a little ear off the compressor that holds an electrical connection that is making slight contact with my lower rad hose right by the elbow.

I was replacing an oxygen sensor last night and noticed the hose touching a little bit. The "protective netting" on the hose isn't going to be enough protection over the long run.

The hose is a Rein brand one, i'm thinking it is a little longer than the BMW original. I did the cooling system job about a year ago and used a Rein hose. Should I trim a little bit off the radiator side hose so i can slide it down the neck a little (an 1/8" would do it), or make a protective sheath as a buffer between the hose and that radiator tab? I don't see what either could harm.

Motor mounts are new and the rad mounts look to be good so I think all my hard components are sitting where they are supposed to be.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    When you changed out the hoses, how did the old compare with the new? ( Everyone always does that, right? ) Maybe buy, or at least look at, another one to compare. I'm tempted to say "cut it". You're right, it will do not harm, but you'd hate to be missing some other problem by doing that. You don't want to leave as-is.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster,e46 325i
    Ya they looked identical when I matched them up, but if it is indeed like a 1/8" longer my eyeballing it wouldn't have picked that up because of the bends in the hose. The hose is the right one I'm just wondering if its just a touch long because of a manufacturing variation Rein Vs BMW.

I just noticed it by dumb luck yesterday I'm glad I didn't find it the hard way
    Last edited by yinzerinmass; 07-08-2020 at 12:25 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    What is the piece coming off the compressor thats interfering? IIRC there shouldnt be anything sticking out the front of the compressor towards the hose

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 328i
    How old are your motor mounts? If they are old and compressed, the motor tends to lean forward and make everything more compacted in that area. It is most notable at the top of the fan shroud but even at the bottom things get cramped. Check the clearance between the oil pan and subframe for a good reference. If they are close to touching, you need new mounts.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster,e46 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    What is the piece coming off the compressor thats interfering? IIRC there shouldnt be anything sticking out the front of the compressor towards the hose
    IMG_2316.jpg
    This photo is looking down from where the windshied washer bottle (removed) sits. THe electrical connection sticks straight up and is bumping into the elbow in the hose as it goes up to the T-stat. The more i think of it the connector is only on a stamped piece of metal, that could be made to have a little more room between the two, they are barely making contact.

QUOTE=gdavid;30507789]How old are your motor mounts? If they are old and compressed, the motor tends to lean forward and make everything more compacted in that area. It is most notable at the top of the fan shroud but even at the bottom things get cramped. Check the clearance between the oil pan and subframe for a good reference. If they are close to touching, you need new mounts.[/QUOTE]

Motor mounts are brand new OEM corteco,

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I would just bend the bracket that the plug sits on. Not going to cause any harm...
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster,e46 325i
    I get the mechanochondriac award of the day. Tweaking the bracket a little did the trick