Thread: E46 Dashboard Help

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci

E46 Dashboard Help

Hi everyone,

For the last few months my E46 has had some dashboard issues. It started with the traction control, handbrake and abs lights all coming on together which I looked up and lots of people are saying this could be a wheel speed sensor issue.
    Since then the rev counter has stopped working (along with the smaller mpg dial within) and the thermometer immediately flips to max when starting the car (i know this is not actually a hot engine problem as it would have blown up by now)
    Just wondering if anyone has some general info in regard to these issues? I'll attach a photo alongside this post for clarity.

On another note if the wheel speed sensors are a main culprit (at least for one of the issues) I tried to get them out the other weekend but the 5mm allen bolts are rusted shut and no amount of Wd-40 was helping, I can't even get a 5mm allen key or a 10mm spanner to work as it just slipps around it's so worn. Any advice on how to help with that too would be great! I'm thinking maybe a drill job is in order through the bolt and replace it if there's not other solution.
    [IMG][IMG]https://photos.app.*******/dbURDmTGQCTdLYVs5[/IMG][/IMG]

Cheers,
    James

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Best to get the fault codes read in the ABS unit before you go off stuffing wheel sensor bolts. Your problem may be something else. You will need a good scanner with BMW software to be able to read the ABS. Most cheap scanners only read the engine computer (DME). There are lots of options for the scanner, here are a couple of options:

- INPA software (free) running on a laptop with special cables (cheap). https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

- Foxwell NT530 scanner with BMW software. https://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesal...installed.html

Once you get set up with the scanner, read the codes in the instrument cluster and the ABS, post them here with the descriptions in English and we can help you.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    Okay great thanks for the feedback, I'll have a look into scanner options and report back when I've got more!
    Cheers