Thread: Auto X this Sunday, July 12th, Fontana....

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320

Auto X this Sunday, July 12th, Fontana....

I do not know what time we run, yet. I will be at the event with my '82 E21 on a fresh set of Falken 660's.

This will be no end of entertaining. More info on motorsportreg.com

David

My Cars
    1981 320i silver

We continue our 2020 season at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA on July 11-12, 2020! We will have a Saturday Test n Tune followed by a Sunday Autocross Event.

NOTICE: Due to the current COVID-19 situation we will be modifying some of our operating procedures. Prior to completing your registration please take a moment to read through the guide attached below. It details our response plan which is required by Auto Club Speedway. Take special notice of our new policy regarding spectators. To stay in conformance this event WILL ONLY ALLOW ONE NON-PARTICIPANT PER ENTRY.

Cal Cub SCCA Supplemental Safety Guidelines COVID-19 PUBLIC.pdf
    Autocross, aka Solo, is a timed competition that challenges drivers to a course marked by cones laid out on an asphalt parking lot or a concrete aircraft runway. Safety is emphasized because cars enter the course one at a time and are spaced out to minimize risks to competitors and event workers. A key emphasis is placed on handling and car control, which breeds some of the most intense competition down to the hundredth or thousandth of a second! Learn more about us at solo2.com.

Cal Club Autocross is sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). The Sunday Autocross and Saturday Test n Tune are open to all SCCA members. If you’re not an SCCA member, do not worry. During the online registration process, you can buy a weekend membership that goes towards an annual membership should you decide to join later!

Sunday Autocross Event—July 12th

Sunday Event Details

4 timed runs are included with your registration
    You may purchase an extra 4 runs (called X-runs) online or onsite (subject to availability) with no additional work required!
    Free Fun Runs following competition, if enough interest
    Please bring water and snacks
    One work assignment is required
    No overnight camping allowed (you may leave your car and gear on site, however)
    If you bring an EZ-up, you must have 50 pounds of ballast at each corner
    Schedule (subject to change)

We will have two grids, A and B, and will be swapping workers while the course is hot. Our goal is to run everyone in the morning and have time left over for those who want to do Free Fun Runs.

7:00 am—Registration/tech open, course open for walking
    8:00 am—Novice course walk
    8:20 am—Course closes for walking
    8:30 am—Mandatory driver's/safety meeting
    8:45 am—First group workers check in/cars to grid/Junior Karts run
    9:00 am—Registration/tech close; run groups begin
    Run Order (posted the week of the event)

Fees (fees are fully refundable should you not attend the event)

Online Pre-Registration
    Adult —$35
    Student—$25
    X-Runs (Extra set of 4 runs with no additional work!) —$25
    An SCCA membership is required
    If you're not an SCCA member, you will need a weekend membership for $15 during the checkout process. This membership is good for the entire weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. Your first two weekend membership can also go towards an annual SCCA membership should you decide to join later! Some restrictions do apply. See https://www.scca.com/pages/member-benefits for details.
    If you pre-register for the Sunday event only and do not attend, your credit card will not be charged. If you are registered for both Saturday and Sunday and do not attend Sunday, please email our treasurer at treasurer@solo2.com for a Sunday refund.

How and What to Register For

You may register online for a discounted fee, or you may register on-site at the event for a higher fee. You can register in a class based upon your car and modifications, or you can register to run Time Only (if you register TO, you will not be able to choose when you run/work). A work assignment is required.

An extra set of 4 runs (called X-runs) is available for purchase online or on-site for $25 (no additional work is required when you purchase X-runs). Your normal runs (in class or Time Only) must be purchased and completed prior to taking X-runs. X-Runs will be taken in the same group as your normal runs. So you can have 8 runs on Sunday for only up to $60 if you pre-register!

Free Fun Runs may be available in the afternoon after class competition is completed (provided we have a minimum number of drivers).

Saturday Test n Tune—July 11th

The purpose of Saturday is for drivers to test and tune setup changes. There is no live timing on Saturdays, and the times are not audited or posted online like they would be for Sundays (but you will get time slips). We encourage those looking for practice and seat time to come out on Sundays, do 8 runs (including X-runs) for up to $60, and then sticking around after for more Free Fun Runs. Better yet, do both days!

Saturday space is capped to ensure a lot of runs, so be sure to register early for your best chance at acceptance. Registering for the event late DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOUR ENTRY. However, once you are on the confirmed entry list, your entry is then guaranteed. To avoid confusion once the practice sells out, we have added a new 'Waitlist Saturday' registration option. If the Test n Tune is sold out by the time you register, the only registration open will be for the waitlist.

The Details

People usually get 12 runs
    Work assignment is required
    Bring water and snacks
    No overnight camping allowed (you may leave your car and gear on site, however)
    If you bring an EZ-up, you must have 50 pounds of ballast at each corner
    Schedule (subject to change)

7:00 am—Tech/registration opens; course opens for walking
    8:00 am—Course closes for walking
    8:10 am—Mandatory driver's/safety meeting
    8:20 am—First group workers check-in; tech/registration closes
    8:30 am—Run groups begin
    Fees (Unlike Sunday, cancellation deadline is 11:59:59pm the Wednesday before the event)

Single entry—$80
    Split Entry—$95 (two drivers sharing the same car, one set of ~12 runs, and one normal work assignment)
    An SCCA membership is required
    If you're not an SCCA member, you will need a weekend membership for $15 during the checkout process. This membership is good for the entire weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. Your first two weekend membership can also go towards an annual SCCA membership should you decide to join later! Some restrictions do apply. See https://www.scca.com/pages/member-benefits for details.
    Note: Once on the entry list, your credit card will be charged unless your cancellation is received by Wednesday midnight, prior to the event. There will be no refunds or credits after that time.

Weekend Details

When you arrive

Sign the event waiver at our entrance gate
    Register
    Tech your car
    Walk course (there will be no parade laps, this is your only chance to see the course before you run)
    Driving Directions

Exit 210 or 10 freeways at Cherry, then head South (from the 210) or North (from the 10). You will see the large entryway gate. Tell the guard you are with the SCCA, they will tell you which lot we are in (usually we're in Lot 6).

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320
    The tires are mounted on the rims and on the car ready to go on the morning. The car is loaded for the event and the water is in the fridge getting cold. Nothing like getting prepared for a 100 degree event in Southern California, because "auto cross".

The fact that I get an early morning drive with almost no one on the road with me driving down to the event, even better!

Our class runs "2" and works "4". Perfect, for the car!
    Last edited by jr02518; 07-11-2020 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320
    Just a couple of observations from the weekend, first I have to just remember that my car has to have half a tank of gas at the end of an event. Once again fuel starvation in down hill, decreasing radius left hand turn's will lead to a momentary loss of power. No matter how well the new tires perform, not having a momentary cut off is key.

Now the Falken 660's, in a 205/50 15 mounted on 15x7 Kosie et17 rim, were great. They did require some extra diligence to be mounted on the rims. The construction of the sidewalls is noticeable, they are stiffer that the other brands I have worked with in the past. Taking that into account, with the car loaded for the road trip to the event I set the tire pressure at 27 front and 25 rear. Now on the drive, on brand new tires I will admit I tip toe the car at first given full tread and "mould release" on the tires. I have nothing to prove on the way to an event. That and way to many brand new cars get totaled being driven off the lot.

At the event, I ran 31 front and 29 rear. My car has Bilstein shocks with H&R springs. The top hats are stock and the front end of the car has only the camber the BMW parts will give you. Which is nothing. I run the car with the compromise, my choice. Now size does matter, bigger tires could offer, lots of things. The construction of the E21 will only give you a certain amount of room to work with, my car might be able to run the 225 tire in the rear but they will not fit the front. Falken has built a tire that runs "bigger" that the moulded tire size, the 205 is more than enough on the front off my car. If you have a camber fix, you will be working the fenders. They are that big. I hope this has helped.

David
    Last edited by jr02518; 07-13-2020 at 09:45 AM.

My Cars
    75 2002 77 323irace 91M5
    You can fix the starvation you need to race prep the in tank pump.

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320
    Daryl did confirm there is a hose clamp on the pick up when he refreshed all the hoses, I wonder if the "fuel accumulator" is going bad. The idle is very low/weak when starting the car after it has been sitting for a while. Once it runs for a bit it gets happy again, no issues.

Brendon, are you returning anytime soon to the south land?

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320
    IMG_9100.jpg

Just a quick picture of my car set up for the event. This weekend, on Sunday I will be back at Fontana for a POC event. Unfortunately, the event is sold out.

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    [QUOTE=jr02518;30510643]Daryl did confirm there is a hose clamp on the pick up when he refreshed all the hoses, I wonder if the "fuel accumulator" is going bad. The idle is very low/weak when starting the car after it has been sitting for a while. Once it runs for a bit it gets happy again, no issues.

David, is your in-tank pump working? If it has fuel starvation below 1/2 on right hand turns then in-tank fuel pump is probably dead.

Max

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320
    I was able to attend an other event this last Sunday, again at Fontana and attached is a picture of the car.
    IMG_1874.jpg

Planning for the tank at the end of the day, I added 6.5 gallons to what I had in the car. Success, I had five runs in the morning and four in the afternoon without any issues.

The drive home from the storage unit on Saturday was a validation of why I keep it on the stock'ish springs and avoid coil overs. Yes, I pay for it at events. But I do get comments on the look of the car in the twisty bits.