Thread: Need advice on buying used BMWs

My Cars
    2013 Audi

Need advice on buying used BMWs

Hi there,
    new member, just joined. Not new to automotive forums as I do a lot my own car maintenance, but new to BMWs. I'm looking for advise from owners with experience.

I'm in the market for a lightly used (2019) BMW for my wife, basically her next grocery getter car. She doesn't drive a great many miles, maybe 1000 mi/month, mostly around town. It would also be our weekend leisure car.

Anyway, we are somewhat torn between the BMW 430i convertible, or a 5 series sedan. We both prefer the convertible, although less practical since it is two door, but we like the style and would likely enjoy top down driving for about 6 months out of the year in sunny S. FL. We drove one, nice drive, but it had too many cosmetic flaws, likely because it was previously a rental car. The 5 series is less sporty, but seems pretty roomy and seems to handle well for such a big car. I haven't driven a 2019 5 series, but have driven in 2017 and 2018 models, and I assume they are relatively similar.

Of course, I always look at the carfax, even though I can usually spot collision repairs. But what I have noticed is in 3 of 20 carfax the dealer either replaced or reinstalled the gas tank on 2019 4 series, which prompted me to ask whether there are some common issues with 2019 4 series gas tanks.

What other things do you recommend I look for with 2019 4 and 5 series cars? Any common or premature fails, issues, things that are costly and frequently need attention? I don't know what to watch for or stay away from. Any advise would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by philc2001; 07-06-2020 at 02:59 PM.

My Cars
    E38 730iA & E39 528i
    Hi there...
    I c this is yr 1st post on here, so let this reply be my first post

The way i c it, u really dont have a problem here... yr buying a 2019 car, and any potential common issues will most likeley not affect you yet, if there are any to start with, unless its a high mileage car, which i presume it is not.
    I dont think there should be any major concern in that regard. If u and the Mrs. like the 4 better, just go for it, wouldnt even think about the 5 series in yr shoes...

My Cars
    2013 Audi
    Quote Originally Posted by mbad7 View Post
    Hi there...
    I c this is yr 1st post on here, so let this reply be my first post

The way i c it, u really dont have a problem here... yr buying a 2019 car, and any potential common issues will most likeley not affect you yet, if there are any to start with, unless its a high mileage car, which i presume it is not.
    I dont think there should be any major concern in that regard. If u and the Mrs. like the 4 better, just go for it, wouldnt even think about the 5 series in yr shoes...
    I'm not after a high mileage car, but I am not looking for a certified car either, so if there is a known flaw I'd like to know about it. Furthermore, I tend to keep cars for 8-10 years, as long as they are relatively reliable and trouble free, so reliability is especially important for my wife.

My Cars
    2004 325Ci Convertible
    "so reliability is especially important for my wife"

Buy a Toyota.

My Cars
    2013 Audi
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabemer View Post
    "so reliability is especially important for my wife"

Buy a Toyota.
    So what you are saying is BMWs are not reliable?

My Cars
    E38 730iA & E39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by philc2001 View Post
    Well...honestley, and sadly, not as Toyota...

But thats not why we `re here, is it

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by philc2001 View Post
    That is pretty much the truth nowadays. The cars cost twice as much and last half as long.

My Cars
    1997 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    That is pretty much the truth nowadays. The cars cost twice as much and last half as long.
    if you are a car manufacturer, you have only the stockholders to fear. Cash and profit. Reliability is an obsolete concept. So, why build a high manufacturing cost and better quality car when people will get your car in leasing for 3 years? Nobody cares about reliability at leased cars. Unless it's getting too annoying. So, the car has to last 3 years. Has the car last 5 years, you are fired for not optimizing profit. You could have built the car cheaper. After 3 years, doesn't matter.

Leasing is the smartest way for manufacturers to force car change every 3 years, instead of 5 to 10 years in the past. More volumes. Better sales.
    Can we blame them? No.

As for the rest of us, thinking the car will be/(should be) as reliable as a VW Golf I or Mercedes Cobra, we have to wake up.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Driving a Toyota is like driving a refrigerator. It’s an fxxxxxxxxg appliance.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    A very reliable refrigerator where as bmw is not reliable, and costs a ton to repair. Some where you will get to the point where you just want your car to work for a long period with no repairs, bmw is not that car. Toyota is for sure