Thread: Ac ?.. Best diag tool?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows

Ac ?.. Best diag tool?

So.. 2003 325i auto.
    After replaceing control arms, tie rods, cutting off front dust sheilds, the front passenger abs ring fell off the bearing. I accidently unplugged the front impact sensor making the airbag light come on. Leaving me with abs, brake, (!), airbag Lights... Before this the sas was triggered and made the break and (!) Lights from the bad alignment caused by bad ball joint and tie rods.

Anywhoo. New bearings on, i got it aligned.. The shop didnt have the bmw program to reset any of the systems for the lights.

Also.. The garage went to charge the ac, which hasent been filled in 5 years since i swapped engines. They attempted
    They said the compressor works, there are no leaks, but there is extreme high pressure on the low side so they evacuated the system and thats needed to be repaired before they can fill it. (Idk wtf that means as ive never self learned on ac systems)

Question 1. Whats the best diag tool to reset everything?
    Question 2. Wtf is wrong with my ac?
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    My view is that the best diagnostic kit is INPA running on a laptop. The software is free and the special leads are cheap. The software is available on various BMW forums, here is one. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

Can't help with the AC problem, sorry.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    My view is that the best diagnostic kit is INPA running on a laptop. The software is free and the special leads are cheap. The software is available on various BMW forums, here is one. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

Can't help with the AC problem, sorry.
    I want to avoid inpa. No computer skills. Dont aspire any either.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    How much refrigerant did they recover? What do they define as "extreme pressure?" Most shops use the Robinair AC unit for testing and evac/recharge. It sounds like someone may have overcharged the system in the past. Usually happens when someone tries dumping a can of auto store AC fix into it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Also.. The garage went to charge the ac, which hasent been filled in 5 years since i swapped engines. They attempted
    They said the compressor works, there are no leaks, but there is extreme high pressure on the low side so they evacuated the system and thats needed to be repaired before they can fill it. (Idk wtf that means as ive never self learned on ac systems)
    1. A good shop with a Robinair unit can diagnose any AC issue. ANY!! Find a new shop. Even if someone here guess what's wrong with your system, you'll still going to need a shop to fix it.

2. Don't ever go back to that shop again. For any reason. Ever. They are incompetent.
    Ray

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers in your area. A good shop will have tge W proprietary software and the right tools.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Im not incapable by any means... Just unlearned and inexperienced with ac since i personally never needed one in my builds... But if you guys are all about no DIY, il just find info somewhere else and end up fixing it myself.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    How much refrigerant did they recover? What do they define as "extreme pressure?" Most shops use the Robinair AC unit for testing and evac/recharge. It sounds like someone may have overcharged the system in the past. Usually happens when someone tries dumping a can of auto store AC fix into it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    The system was empty.. For years... It worked before engine replace in 2015. Hasent been touched since then. Alls they said " hi and low pipes get so hot they cant be touched..... High pressure on low side, so we sucked everything out.. Has to be fixed before being filled".

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Well you can't fix it if they did not give you recommendation of what part to replace, find another shop

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Well you can't fix it if they did not give you recommendation of what part to replace, find another shop
    I think they didnt diagnose it because it was there for simple stuff to get the inspection done. I didnt want to pay for diagnostic anything. As pointed out why pay for diagnostics when i would assume on a diy forum someone would know? Wtf is this forum for if no ones helping anyone diy anything?

My Cars
    2003 328i
    No possible way there is extreme pressure on the low side. Pressure on the low side will never exceed pressure on the high side.

Interpreting what I can from their retarded diagnosis I would guess it needs an expansion valve. Make sure the cooling fan is working too, no fan equals no cooling and extreme high side pressure.

My Cars
    Find a new shop. Those guys are retards. AC is easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Alright. Expansion valve and accessory fan..
    Il look up how to test the valve. Il check the fan today.. Now that i think of it, wife did say the car sometimes gets alittle hot when sitting in the fast food line, but never gets past the hash mark.