Thread: BMW E34 540iaSE + Transmission Maintenance Query

My Cars
    1994 BMW 540iaSE

BMW E34 540iaSE + Transmission Maintenance Query

Dear Friends

My 540ia has just completed 200,000K (120,000 miles).
    At the end of last year I came across two guys looking at my car in a shopping centre. They were both in the motor trade and liked my vehicle and its condition. One of them was a BMW owner, the other involved with GM Holden.
    Somehow we got to talking about maintenance and I told them that the transmission was sealed and required no oil changing etc.
    They both suggested that even so, it would not hurt to change the oil being likely to prolong the life of the unit and would be much cheaper than having to replace the transmission at some stage.

When I spoke to my garage they also agreed and are happy to do the work (of course).
    Having read some of the posts in Bimmerforums.com and reading of the experience of other owners it seems to me that doing an oil change could start any number of problems that do not exist at the moment and could become expensive.

Naturally, I do not want expense and I don't want to start oil drips or anything else that meddling with the unit could initiate. If it was designed to last for life, it seems to me I should leave well alone particularly while everything is running perfectly.

Like I said, reading the experience of others on this topic makes me a little nervous and, I would appreciate any comment that would sway me to follow the advice of others as I have described, rather than maintaining my stance to leave well alone!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to the E34 forum. Do a transmission fluid and filter service on your ZF5HP30 and forget about lifetime filling, ZF also recommends to do a trans fluid change on these transmissions and even BMW changed their mind. Lifetime means 100000km.
    See the ZF website: ZF recommends depending on the driving style transmission oil change every every 80000 - 120000 km or after 8 years at the latest.
    5HP30 Transmission fluid level procedures
    A) Transmissions fluid level checking.
    1) The transmission fluid temperature must be between 30°C and 35°C before checking can begin. Use test equipment to determine the trans temperature.
    2) The vehicle must be level with engine running at idle speed and air conditioning turned on.
    3) Step on the brakes firmly, apply parking brake fully and shift to D and R, briefly pausing in each position before shifting back to the Park position.
    4) With the engine running at idle speed and the selector in Park position, remove the filler plug. Monitor the transmission temperature, if a small stream of oil runs out at 40°C, the fluid level is correct.
    5) If no oil runs out when the filler plug is removed, the fluid level is too low and oil needs to be added until it overflows.
    6) With engine running, install the oil filler plug and tighten to proper torque.
    B) Adding fluid after repairs.
    1) With the engine stopped and the transmission in Park position, remove the oil filler plug. Add transmission fluid until a small stream of oil runs out.
    2) Insert the filler plug and tighten by hand. Start the engine.
    3) With the engine running, remove the oil filler plug and add transmission fluid until a small stream of oil runs out. Insert the filler plug and tighten by hand.
    4) Follow the “Transmission fluid level checking” procedure described in section A) above.
    2) If the transmission temperature rises above 50°C during the fluid level checking procedure the resulting oil level will be to low. Let the transmission cool down and repeat the fluid level procedure.
    3) Have transmission fluid and a suitable oil pump available before starting the fluid level procedure. The transmission fluid temperature will rise quickly during the checking procedure.
    Last edited by shogun; 07-06-2020 at 03:44 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 540iaSE
    Thank you for this reply, I had not noticed it until now....