Thread: Found a 330i beater--am I crazy to be tempted?

My Cars
    Toyota Tundra

Found a 330i beater--am I crazy to be tempted?

A local FB ad--the usual--notoriously short on details, and being sold by people who are not inclined to fix things themselves.

What I know--parked for three years, "broken suspension", non-starting. Key/remote with the car, car has title. Appears to have minor damage on front (missing one side of the kidney grill)

What I like--reasonably low mileage (100,000), cheap and close.

I'm assuming that as with all basket case cars, all fluids will need to be changed. Looks like it has the M54 engine. I have done one resuscitation on a similar age Volvo V70, and have rebuilt full suspension, done brakes, plus all the usual shade tree mechanic stuff--drain and fill fluids, troubleshoot Evap systems etc...

I see FCP has full suspension refresh kits if it comes to that...

How much can I read of BMW codes with a generic code reader?

How crazy am I to be thinking of this as a project car?
    Last edited by paredown; 07-05-2020 at 08:15 AM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I know I wouldn't buy it

My Cars
    2004 325Ci Convertible
    Assuming you have the place, time and skills to work on it and can buy it for next to nothing, why not. You can always part it out and probbly make a few bucks if it comes to that.

How is the rust?

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Yep...I agree with the above conclusion...

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabemer View Post
    Assuming you have the place, time and skills to work on it and can buy it for next to nothing, why not. You can always part it out and probbly make a few bucks if it comes to that.

How is the rust?
    Got busy today finishing a bathroom so I have not yet gone to look at it. Rust is an issue in this area for sure. Any particular spots where they are known to show rust?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The area behind the wheels in the rear fenders tend to rust up. Also, check the bottom of the doors.

My Cars
    '98 328is, '04 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    A local FB ad--the usual--notoriously short on details, and being sold by people who are not inclined to fix things themselves.

What I know--parked for three years, "broken suspension", non-starting. Key/remote with the car, car has title. Appears to have minor damage on front (missing one side of the kidney grill)

What I like--reasonably low mileage (100,000), cheap and close.

I'm assuming that as with all basket case cars, all fluids will need to be changed. Looks like it has the M54 engine. I have done one resuscitation on a similar age Volvo V70, and have rebuilt full suspension, done brakes, plus all the usual shade tree mechanic stuff--drain and fill fluids, troubleshoot Evap systems etc...

I see FCP has full suspension refresh kits if it comes to that...

Really I think that depends on your expectations, skill and budget. I would think in most cases its going to be less expensive to buy one in better condition. You mentioned rebuilding a car before so you probably have a decent idea of what that kind of a project involved. A non-starter has a lot of questions about it. If they can give some insight as to what happened it would be useful.

I rebuilt a nearly junk 330xi over the last year (high mileage, poorly running, every conceivable maintenance item neglected, multi accident). I will say this much. It's a lot of work, with lots of surprises and delays. I loved the learning experience, but I won't do it again lol, at least not to this extent. My car should have been scrapped for parts. I have spent 5 times what I paid for the car in parts and there's still stuff to do. I had it on the road for 6000kms this year and I love it to death, but if I ever find myself wanting another one, I'm spending more time to find one in better shape. If you want to know more about the process just send me a PM.

To be clear, I'm not regretting it since I learned so much and the car is everything I hoped it would be but it took a lot of resources to do it.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp

Generic P codes associated with check engine light only.

Depends from how handyt you are, how much time and money you have to blow on this.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The area behind the wheels in the rear fenders tend to rust up. Also, check the bottom of the doors.

And under the trunk latch.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    It will be about $3,500 for transmission and engine parts if you do it all yourself. You can cheap the suspension if you ignore some of the rubber bits, but it won’t save much.

I rebuilt four in the past six months. I would only rebuild one now if it had a perfect body and mostly intact interior. Otherwise not worth it.

An interior swap can run $2k to much higher.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    What's the "cheap" price?
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.