Thread: BREMI 1 703 359 Resistance?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto

BREMI 1 703 359 Resistance?

Hi all, 95 525i 5 SPD 283k

I have a stuttering idle as if it's not getting enough gas but the car doesn't shut off during idle. It stays running. If I drive it, it stutters but, it will not shut off. I have replaced the injectors, FPR, tested fuel pressure, no codes, no vacuum leaks, and I believe the MAF is fine because when I unplug it there is a hint of a surge and the idle is back to normal. I want to check the resistance of the coils because I believe the coils are original. So far I've checked coil 1 and 2 and they read 1.4 - 1.5.
    Is that normal? I can't find any info on the resistance measurement for the coils. I'm hoping someone can tell me the correct measurement.

Thanks in advance.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Specified resistance between the outer terminals of an M50 or M60 ignition coil is 0.5-0.7 ohm.
    Well, turns out there was water in plug 5 and 6. Had to clean it all up. They all seem to work. I still do feel a stumble and now there's a loud tapping going on. Sounds like the lifters are flat. After cleanign up the spark plug holes and coils, I started it up and let it idle for 10 minutes hoping the lifters would fill back up but, the tapping was still there. I took off the valve cover and put the car in TDC and the head looks good. I revved the engine to 2k for about a minute to see if the lifters would fill up. Tapping sound is still there and it's loud.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    I think the sound might be the water pump. I'm going to swap it out Sunday and see if that gets rid of the noise.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    General advice on an ICE car: don't let it idle that long, especially cold. The oil will never warm up that way, among other problems. Start, let idle for two to five seconds, listening for the engine sound to settle (however quiet, all engines change their sound as they first get oil flowing, usually around 0.5-2.0 seconds), at most 30 seconds in brutal cold, then drive it. Until the coolant comes up to temp, no more than ~2700rpm and 1/3-1/2 throttle. Record the time T it did to do that, then drive for another 2T, this time with no more than ~4000rpm and 2/3 throttle. After 2T has elapsed, you can (and at least once a full drive, should) use the full powerband at WOT. The latter is referred to as an Italian Tuneup, and done with proper warmup on an otherwise reasonably healthy engine, seems to make engines run better. Think of the necessity of doing this as similar to brushing your teeth - it won't change much right away but you do it to promote long-term health. It's easy to get away with not doing it - namely, a cold start and shut down before warming up - once, twice, even for months, but the damage adds up.
    Last edited by moroza; 07-04-2020 at 01:34 AM.