Thread: Rear M-Tech Bumper Differences?

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

Rear M-Tech Bumper Differences?

The US M-Tech Rear Bumper P/N for my VIN in RealOEM is: 51122232436. It shows that it has been discontinued.
    If you manually select a Euro 1995 540i in RealOEM and look at the M-Tech Rear Bumper P/N, it shows: 51122230383. This P/N is still available.

Anyone have a clue to how the two P/Ns differ? Will the Euro rear bumper fit a US spec car?

My Cars
    E34 520i 1996
    I'm not certain, but don't the US ones have those little side marker lights recessed into them? We don't have those here.

My Cars
    1993 540i/6
    Its possible the mounting points are different to conform to the US bumper regulations, other than that id be guessing...
    The rear M-tech bumper on my 540 has cut outs for side markers pre molded into the plastic but no harness/connectors plus 4x17mm nuts / 2 guides on either side holding it on.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Thanks guys. The US side markers are part of the bumper trim panels which I believe are common to all bumper setups (M-tech or non), so I don't think that would matter.

I'll do some additional research and post back if I find anything good.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    I put together this reference for myself, and thought someone else might find it useful (Hah!). It's a comparison between the Real OEM entries for both front and rear bumpers (M-tech, Non M-tech, Carrier Supports) between an HE53 (US-spec 1995 540i 6-speed) and an HE51 (Euro-spec 1995 540i 6-speed):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

The colors highlight were parts are shared/not shared. Green = Shared, Red = Not-Shared. You'll see blank cells for parts only available on a given variant.

Some 'interesting' observations:

Front

• The front M-tech bumper covers are identical, with the major differences amongst the trim parts boiling down to the availability of the brake ducts on the HE51
    • The same can be said for the front carrier parts. The crash bar ('carrier' in realoem) is different, but presumably since the front M-tech bumper covers are the same, there isn't any meaningful dimensional differences between the two
    • The Non M-tech front bumper trim IS different between US and Euro, at least as far as the P/N goes.
    • The right and left bumper trims are also different (duh, since the US spec has marker lights and the Euro doesnt). Non spreadsheet observation: I ordered Euro trims for my car a while back, and noted that not only do the Euro trims not have the marker light cutouts, they are also a different texture. The Euro trims have a rough 'pattern' while the US trims are smooth
    • The front shock absorbers are the same between the US and Euro

Rear
    • As I noted in my original post, the rear M-tech bumper covers are a different P/N, but all other M-tech specific bumper cover parts appear to be the same.
    • The Euro M-sport bumper has 'trailer hitch' options, not available in the US
    • The Non M-tech bumper covers are a different P/N
    • The rear bumper trims are a different P/N. Left, Right and Center. I wonder if this has to do with the texture difference, or if there is something different in the way they mount to the bumper? Much like the front, the implication via realoem is that M-tech and non M-tech share these parts, since the M-tech specific catalog does not mention them. I'd therefore find a mounting difference dubious.
    • The rear crash bar ('carrier' in realoem) is different. I think this MIGHT be the reason the rear bumpers (non M-tech and M-tech) are different between Euro and the US, but that is just a hypothesis (images below)
    • The rear shock absorbers, as well as the mounting plates for the absorbers are also different between the HE53 and the HE51

Here are images of the two different rear carriers which confirms at least some cutout differences. Can't really tell dimensionally unfortunately.

-183 (HE53/US-Spec)
    https://images.app.*******/ZZ1uWjw9cpVYD7y46
    -182 (HE51/Euro-Spec)
    https://images.app.*******/bK2J8y9W8qFdqjvSA

I'll keep adding here if I find anything else pertinent.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    I have a Euro car (540i sport, not M-tech) so I can comment on a few of the differences:

- Euro cars have fiberglass "carriers" whereas I think the US ones are aluminum.
    - The rear bumper trims are different because of signal lights, just like the front.
    - You noticed the differences in textures (smooth vs. textured). I think there was a date change on this - later cars have the textured type. You should be able to get Euro trims with either variety.

FYI - your links to pics don't work.

My Cars
    2014 328i xdrive
    I’m trying to Purchase a rear bumper and there is two option with molding holes and without molding holes. I don’t know which one I have to get also does it need after paint to be go through oven?
    2014 328i xdrive basic

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkelliny View Post
    I’m trying to Purchase a rear bumper and there is two option with molding holes and without molding holes. I don’t know which one I have to get also does it need after paint to be go through oven?
    2014 328i xdrive basic
    Waaaaay off on the right forum. This is for the E34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by eddycooper View Post
    I have a Euro car (540i sport, not M-tech) so I can comment on a few of the differences:

- Euro cars have fiberglass "carriers" whereas I think the US ones are aluminum.
    - The rear bumper trims are different because of signal lights, just like the front.
    - You noticed the differences in textures (smooth vs. textured). I think there was a date change on this - later cars have the textured type. You should be able to get Euro trims with either variety.

FYI - your links to pics don't work.
    Thanks for this. Yep. The damn marker lights for the US.

Interesting on your texture comments. My ‘95 is pretty late build 4/95, and has smooth bumper trims. Does that mean the switch to textured happened after that?

Any ideas about the P/N for the smooth trims? There is no break in realoem.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    Looks like the smooth/textured trim difference was only on European cars. Here's a RealOEM page that shows a 3/1994 date break for them: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_0610

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by eddycooper View Post
    Looks like the smooth/textured trim difference was only on European cars. Here's a RealOEM page that shows a 3/1994 date break for them: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_0610
    Thats great! Thanks.