Thread: DIY: BimmerTech Wireless CarPlay MMI Prime Installation in F10 BMW

My Cars
    F10 M5

Smile DIY: BimmerTech Wireless CarPlay MMI Prime Installation in F10 BMW

Hello guys,

I installed this module on my M5 to gain CarPlay and it's the best upgrade I have done to this beast.

Happy motoring

My Cars
    2016 BMW
    Thanks for posting this. I also use the Bimmertech MMI Prime and love it however I use wireless Android Auto. Also, there are other similar units from Andream, Carlinkit and several others at much, much lower prices for those that don't want to spend this much. But the Bimmertech software and UI is the most polished and bug free at this point. Anyway, this upgrade really transforms the driving experience.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 328i
    I also installed a Carlinkit MMI on my F30 this month. Added an aftermarket backup camera at same time. Works great. I'm also an Android user, and after installing a custom firmware I am getting a great experience out of my unit and really enjoying the interface. Connects wirelessly to my S10, and boots right up with the car and resumes playing where I left off in many cases. Having the AA showing in high resolution split screen (with navigation) and utilizing google voice services really makes this a lot of fun. My understanding is that many of these units are on the same hardware, but no question that BT is the best customer service. I had a few questions I had for Carlinke and while they eventually helped me via WhatsApp it took a few days of back and forth. But on the flip side, I spent less than $350 total and used Amazon to order and got my goodies in less than 2 days! Took me no more than 2 hours to install everything. I can even switch back and forth between iDrive and take calls on either interface.

The dynamic lines work as overlays on my camera display. I went with a camera that used a glass lens and CCD imager with a switch to turn on/off gridlines (some you have to cut a wire). The switch doesn't work but the company that I bought from is sending me a replacement switch. Not a huge problem for now - just makes the view "busy" with all kinds of lines showing up.

Was worth the price just to add a backup camera for me. The Android Auto (and Carplay) was a bonus for me but ended up being my favorite part.