Thread: BMW 525I Xdrive 1995 year, problem with windows and central lock

My Cars
    BMW 525I Xdrive

BMW 525I Xdrive 1995 year, problem with windows and central lock

Hi to all,

first of all I apologise if there is already thread like this, but I am a new one to BMW and to this forum, and honestly could not find topic.

Also, I am not native english speaker-writer, so don't mind my gramatical or other errors.

I have bought few months ago BMW 525I Xdrive year of production 1995 - verry nice car, and I this is my first BMW in life, and love it.

1. Yesterday when I unlock car from riders side central does not work, it just opens drivers door, but not others.
    2. Also from yesterday those little buttons for windows does not work. Everything happened at same time.

I was driving car throught 5km verry good pawed road, and got a lot of dust everywhere.

Visited eletrician but he says that everything is fine with electrycity and it must have been mechanical problem.

Since I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina and mechanics here are not so honest, I am asking you please for help if you know what could be the problem before going to mechanic shop (they are quite expensive, and many of them are frauds for an example if something to repair on car is apx 20$, they lie and charge it 150$ - you cou can see why I am asking for a help).

Best regards and tnx in advance
    tino - konstantin

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Hi Tino, first check the fuses, here are the wiring diagrams by built year and all fuses are shown from about page 15 http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/
    The central locking and the windows are controlled by the general module = GM under the rear seat driver side, there are also fuses, check these too, and also check if there is water/moisture under the rear seat.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Hello and welcome! If both the locks and the windows failed at the same time, that points to problems with the General Module (GM, a green box about the size of a VHS video tape, under the back seat), which controls both. It also controls the wipers, power mirrors, and interior lights; do those work? In 15 years of owning an E34, I've had at least two random GM failures. One time, one of the rear windows didn't work, another time the windows didn't work at all, and wipers worked only randomly and at top speed. Replacing the module was the cure, but of course these are getting hard to find. A few years ago I started compiling information for how to modify the car to use generic off-the-shelf controllers for the windows, locks, and wipers. Wipers and windows are easy enough, but I didn't finish researching what kind of signals the locks use.

My Cars
    BMW 525I Xdrive
    Hi to all,

I have checked the fuses that are under back seat. The green one was damaged, and I have replaced it and it worked for few minutes.

After that died again, I went to electrician, and he fixed wires (few of them were broken) that goes from backpack (5th dores where is spare wheel - don't know word in english), and replaced fuse again, because that wires caused some ,,electroshock, that killed fuse.

Than every thing worked fine. But after 30 minutes than again windows and central lock died.

Car was not driven for 3.5 months, just occasionaly started up.

I have read somewhere that maybe it is problem with battery which is Varta 12v 95AH 800A model. It says that for an example one cell is damaged in battery that can be the cause of this failure.

Should i go to check and charge battery before buying new one or? Price of battery here in Bosnia is apx 110 eur or apx 120$.

Tnx for advices I appreciate it a lot!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    The green "one" fuse? There should be several green (30amp) fuses. Or do you mean the green electronics module, the General Module?

Not sure what you mean by "backpack". Use Google Translate, or post here in Bosnian and I'll figure it out. EDIT: prtljažnik? If so, that's "trunk" in American English, "boot" in British English.

If you had some broken wires and visible sparks, I'm afraid that's just the tip of the iceberg - you probably have a lot more bad wiring, and I strongly recommend you find someone qualified and honest to fix it. It could cause a much more expensive failure, including possibly a fire.

A weak battery wouldn't cause this problem. A battery that (for some reason) puts out more than ~13.5 volts, yes, could damage something. Just read it with a voltmeter. Our batteries cost about the same, if not more.
    Last edited by moroza; 07-02-2020 at 02:45 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 525I Xdrive
    Hi,

tnx for the info and your help. I will try to find someone honest and let the profesional do the job.

Will let you know as soon as I fix the car. Yes it was wires in trunk ,,prtljažnik,,

tnx a lot!!
    Tino