Thread: 2001 Z-3 82 mm and 74 mm Emblems

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster

2001 Z-3 82 mm and 74 mm Emblems

I recently replaced the hood, trunk and side grill emblems on my 2001 Z-3.
    I was able to find a set of 82 mm and 74 mm "Hood and Trunk" emblems on Amazon.
    My Z-3 happens to use 82 mm for both hood and trunk, but 74 mm for the side grills, so for about $30 I replaced all four emblems.
    BMW Emblems 2 pack.JPG

The hood and trunk emblems were held in place by rubber grommet inserts, the new set doesn't come with new grommets, but I was able to use my existing grommets. Side by side there really was no difference between the OEM and the replacement emblems, other than the OEM was metal coated on the back.
    The new emblem is on the left, old emblem is on the right.
    I had to apply a little spit to the rubber grommet and alignment pins to get them to push in all the way, there is a very small gap under the new emblem and pushing at the top and bottom will cause the emblem to rock a little. This gap and rocking is such a minor thing that I'm not sweating it.
    BMW Hood pair.JPG

The 74 mm side grill emblems were held on with a two-sided adhesive gasket. There is a difference in the alignment pin diameter of the OEM (left) and new emblems (right) with the OEM having a smaller diameter, The new ones won't just slip into the existing holes on the side grill.
    BMW Side.JPG

I was able to match up a drill bit just big enough to match the new pins and I over-sized the holes in the plastic side grill. It was no biggie, they're just plastic side grills.
    BMW drill.JPG

To attach the new emblems I put a gob of grey RTV on each hole and a gob on each pin and schmacked it all together.
    BMW Side glue.JPG

I'm satisfied with the new emblems and the fact I was able to spiffy up a 19 year old car for about $30.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Looks good.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8
    Good to know they are still available somewhere other than a dealer. Currently trying to find out how to
    remove side gills - there's some sort of hidden latch/clip at the back.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster 3.0
    RobRig- How are the new emblems holding up? I'm about to replace my hood and sides really soon. Can you also share the Amazon link. Thanks.