Thread: 2007 Z4 Convertible roof not openning.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0si

2007 Z4 Convertible roof not openning.

I as driving down the highway, top down and my rear console-upper cover, fortunately it landed back in my car but needs to be replaced. After I stopped I attempted to raise my top, the motor buzzed and the red light went on but it stopped and when I pushed the down button the red light went off. I tried to pull the red tab in the trunk but the top would not raise much and gave a lot of resistance so I stopped. Could there be something signalling the top not open. I am at a loss.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    Hey George

I re-read your posting a number of times and the only thing I can positively ID as a problem is that your Emergency hydo by-pass has failed at the pump(red handle in trunk).

Let me explain, most Z4 top failures involve either the motor/pump failing or the hydo system being no longer pressurized (leak). Whereas, you posted, you can hear the motor running and it was very difficult to try and lift your top manually (which means it's pressurized). This leaves only electrical. I believe the Z4 convertible system has a number of fuses you should check all of them.

Since you were there, do you believe the console coming off and the roof failure are linked, if so, why??

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0si

Grasping at straws. Was frustrated that the red lever never worked.

Quote Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
    Hey George

I re-read your posting a number of times and the only thing I can positively ID as a problem is that your Emergency hydo by-pass has failed at the pump(red handle in trunk).

Let me explain, most Z4 top failures involve either the motor/pump failing or the hydo system being no longer pressurized (leak). Whereas, you posted, you can hear the motor running and it was very difficult to try and lift your top manually (which means it's pressurized). This leaves only electrical. I believe the Z4 convertible system has a number of fuses you should check all of them.

Since you were there, do you believe the console coming off and the roof failure are linked, if so, why??
    Grasping at straws. Was frustrated that the red lever never worked.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    I honestly was shocked when after a long winter I pushed top down and it released from the windshield frame and...nothing. I then read the car's handbook and went to the trunk and used the Red emergency by-pass handle and then attempted to manually lower the top. I got nowhere, it was like pushing on a brick wall.

I was lucky that my top was up when I got the joint failure (top motor and the emergency by-pass system). I subsequently learned that this joint failure is really very common.

In simpler terms, you've really had a lot of company with being frustrated by the red lever not working.