Thread: 330e pressurised fuel tank error

My Cars
    BMW f30

330e pressurised fuel tank error

Hi everyone,

Really hoping that there’s someone here who has the first idea about what to do here!

So I bought a 2017 330e a few months ago. It had been in an accident with airbags deployed but with very minor front damage. I’ve repaired the damage and replaced the airbags and the car is completely perfect apart from one problem:

The display always shows the error message: ‘Fuel tank system fault. Do not open fuel tank’.

The car has a refuelling button to depressurise the fuel tank but this is completely unresponsive, doesn’t even try to depressurise the tank. I used the emergency access pull cord thing to open the fuel tank and have been filling it up with this method for 3 months with no problem. The refuelling is slow and the pump always cuts out I presume because the tank is still pressurised when I refuel.

I scanned the car and it shows the error: 806034 ‘tank shut off valve (TAV) or pressure tank system: Safe Mode’

I guess my question is- is there some kind of trip switch for the fuel tank or similar that might have been triggered because of the crash or does the safe mode thing come up if there’s a general error with the pressurised tank?

Any ideas HUGELY appreciated!

My Cars
    The most common issue with the hybrids and fuel tanks is the "fuel tank pressure sensor". BMW extended the warranty on these sensors. However, that may not apply to European vehicles.

I've replaced more of these sensors than I could ever count (330e, 530e, 740e, X5 PHEV, i3, and i8 all have the same, or similar, sensor), and I can think of maybe only one instance where I replaced anything else fuel or fuel vapor related in a hybrid vehicle.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW f30
    Thank you so much, that’s really helpful

My Cars
    i8, Model Y, AMG GT
    Also, consider driving in sport mode on your way to the gas station. It uses the gas engine only and clears out the pressurized vapors. As well if you look for "Pats Garage" on YouTube, he has a video to remove the arm behind the gas cap cover that will keep you from having to use the trunk release. Good luck

My Cars
    There's a reason the gas door is locked on hybrids, and must use the button. The gas tank is pressurized, and the valves and vents are opened when you request to refuel the vehicle. It's for safety so you don't get any pressurized fuel or vapors spraying out of the filler cap when you open it. I definitely wouldn't be trying to defeat any safety devices.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    330e
    Hi Jimmysam, Did you manage to get the fuel tank fault fixed? If so can you give me advice please. I have exactly the same issue as you, bought a crashed 330e which I have repaired. It had airbags deployed and has the same symptoms and dash fault. Previous owner said the fault only appeared after the crash, also the fuel flap is always unlocked, not sure if this is activated by the fault or he bypassed it. Thanks Nick

My Cars
    Bmw 530e
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick0001 View Post
    Hi Jimmysam, Did you manage to get the fuel tank fault fixed? If so can you give me advice please. I have exactly the same issue as you, bought a crashed 330e which I have repaired. It had airbags deployed and has the same symptoms and dash fault. Previous owner said the fault only appeared after the crash, also the fuel flap is always unlocked, not sure if this is activated by the fault or he bypassed it. Thanks Nick
    Hi Nick.
    I have the same exact problem on my 2019 BMW 530e. Have you been able to fix that issue

My Cars
    Mini

Fuel Tank System Fault

Hi Jimmysam, all,

Wanted to check how you managed to resolve this issue. Having the same problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmysam View Post
    Hi everyone,

Really hoping that there’s someone here who has the first idea about what to do here!

So I bought a 2017 330e a few months ago. It had been in an accident with airbags deployed but with very minor front damage. I’ve repaired the damage and replaced the airbags and the car is completely perfect apart from one problem:

The display always shows the error message: ‘Fuel tank system fault. Do not open fuel tank’.

The car has a refuelling button to depressurise the fuel tank but this is completely unresponsive, doesn’t even try to depressurise the tank. I used the emergency access pull cord thing to open the fuel tank and have been filling it up with this method for 3 months with no problem. The refuelling is slow and the pump always cuts out I presume because the tank is still pressurised when I refuel.

I scanned the car and it shows the error: 806034 ‘tank shut off valve (TAV) or pressure tank system: Safe Mode’

I guess my question is- is there some kind of trip switch for the fuel tank or similar that might have been triggered because of the crash or does the safe mode thing come up if there’s a general error with the pressurised tank?

Any ideas HUGELY appreciated!

My Cars
    Mini
    Hi All.
    Having the exact same issue with my car. Same error message etc. mine is a min countryman 2018. Hybrid. Accident damaged repaired. Everything is great other than the fuel tank system error message! Any guidance would be much appreciated!

My Cars
    X3 G01
    Hello. Then the only solution is replacement of the sensor you mentioned?

My Cars
    Mini
    For the Mini Countryman 2018 hybrid I could not locate a fuel tank pressure sensor in the workshop manual for the car.

Any suggestions to get this issue sorted would be much appreciated!

My Cars
    2019 BMW 530e

I need help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Layland11 View Post
    Hi Nick.
    I have the same exact problem on my 2019 BMW 530e. Have you been able to fix that issue
    Were you able to find out how to fix this? My collision was on the opposite side of the car and minor damage to the quarter panel. The number wasn’t removed and nothing was near the fuel tank. Getting the “Fuel Tank System” error and can’t open the fuel door. I drove the car 50 miles and it was fine. The dealer is saying that they would need to remove the whole rear end and fuel tank. That sounds extremely fishy considering the car drives fine.

My Cars
    F30
    Same issue here with my 330E I bought an accident car 2 airbags are opened and I have the airbag error message but also the tank fuel error. REALLY NEED YOUR HELP

- - - Updated - - -

PetersonCM

Same issue here with my 330E I bought an accident car 2 airbags are opened and I have the airbag error message but also the tank fuel error. REALLY NEED YOUR HELP

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PetersonCM View Post
    Were you able to find out how to fix this? My collision was on the opposite side of the car and minor damage to the quarter panel. The number wasn’t removed and nothing was near the fuel tank. Getting the “Fuel Tank System” error and can’t open the fuel door. I drove the car 50 miles and it was fine. The dealer is saying that they would need to remove the whole rear end and fuel tank. That sounds extremely fishy considering the car drives fine.

My Cars
    Bmw 530e
    I have the same error on a 530e 2018 after a minor accident in the back. Everything runs fine except the fuel tank system error and the pressurised fuel tank which dosn't allow me to refuel as normal bc the ventilatiom valve is always closed.

I got an obd2 scanner and the car scanner app and got the error "P04C9 - Fuel filler flap open - request sensor/swich - Performance or stuck off".

As someone said on this thread earlier that is the "fuel tank pressure sensor", I found on RealOem the part number: 16117361966 (pressure/temperature sensor located on the fuel pump) but it doesn't look like a conventional pressure sensor and I went to the BMW to ask if that's the part I need and they said is not that and could not tell me the part number on the sensor that I need (fuel tank pressure sensor) due to company rules.

Please advice if that's the sensor that needs to be replaces or where is the location of it as I tend to think is not the one I found.

If ANYONE managed to fix this.. just reply or text me if you are kind enough.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Did you found the solution pls?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you fix it? Pls

- - - Updated - - -

Did you manage to fix it pls?

- - - Updated - - -

How did you fix it pleasr?

- - - Updated - - -

How did you fix it please?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you please tell me if the part number I found is the correct one for this sensor? It looks more lioe a temperature sensor rather than a pressure one. Thank you

My Cars
    BMW 330E

Dear INHALEX Really need your help, Could you help this issue ?

I have exactly the same issue so hope you can help me out of this I'm really so sad, I bought a accident car where airbags are deployed but idk how to solve this tank issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhalexhalehigh View Post
    I have the same error on a 530e 2018 after a minor accident in the back. Everything runs fine except the fuel tank system error and the pressurised fuel tank which dosn't allow me to refuel as normal bc the ventilatiom valve is always closed.

I got an obd2 scanner and the car scanner app and got the error "P04C9 - Fuel filler flap open - request sensor/swich - Performance or stuck off".

As someone said on this thread earlier that is the "fuel tank pressure sensor", I found on RealOem the part number: 16117361966 (pressure/temperature sensor located on the fuel pump) but it doesn't look like a conventional pressure sensor and I went to the BMW to ask if that's the part I need and they said is not that and could not tell me the part number on the sensor that I need (fuel tank pressure sensor) due to company rules.

Please advice if that's the sensor that needs to be replaces or where is the location of it as I tend to think is not the one I found.

If ANYONE managed to fix this.. just reply or text me if you are kind enough.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Did you found the solution pls?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you fix it? Pls

- - - Updated - - -

Did you manage to fix it pls?

- - - Updated - - -

How did you fix it pleasr?

- - - Updated - - -

How did you fix it please?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you please tell me if the part number I found is the correct one for this sensor? It looks more lioe a temperature sensor rather than a pressure one. Thank you

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    If you are having a fuel door issue, this is not the thread you should be sitting in, start your own new thread with your issue(s).
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2019 BMW 530
    I had the exact same problem with my 2019 BMW 530e after being rear-ended in an accident, and I fixed it by
    1) delete (i.e. turn off) the "fuel tank safe mode".
    When the car detected the collision, it put the fuel tank system into safe mode (e.g. permanently turn off the non-return valve) for safety reasons. In safe mode, you are not allowed to open the fuel filler flap and cap. If you force open the fuel filler flap using the emergency pulley and try refueling, you may find the fuel pump cut off every ~10 seconds because the air cannot get out fast enough (because the non-return valve is turned off).
    IMPORTANT: technically, you should check the fuel tank system carefully and repair any possible damages/issues, otherwise deleting the "fuel tank safe mode" would hide the underlying problems and cause safety issues in the future!!
    2) clear the fuel tank system error code.

You need a tool to perform these. I did these using "FOXWELL NT710 OBD2 Scanner fit for BMW" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG6SRKWK. I believe the ISTA software and many other advanced scanners can also do it.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by qmfbimmer0625; 08-13-2023 at 01:09 AM.

My Cars
    2016 330e
    Hi, all. I've just joined. I've been living with this issue for a couple of years, and just got around to sorting it. In my case, it's more of an irritation than anything else - I have to OK the error message every time I want to refuel, but generally (not always, but generally) the flap will unlock.

I believe the part is: 13 90 7 645 859

I'm ordering that sensor and will be installing it and resetting the car's fault codes. I'll report back and let you know what happens.

My Cars
    2024 BMW 330e
    Hello, was anyone able to get a fix to this? I’m going through the same thing and can’t figure out how to get it to work.