Thread: 330e pressurised fuel tank error

My Cars
    BMW f30

330e pressurised fuel tank error

Hi everyone,

Really hoping that there’s someone here who has the first idea about what to do here!

So I bought a 2017 330e a few months ago. It had been in an accident with airbags deployed but with very minor front damage. I’ve repaired the damage and replaced the airbags and the car is completely perfect apart from one problem:

The display always shows the error message: ‘Fuel tank system fault. Do not open fuel tank’.

The car has a refuelling button to depressurise the fuel tank but this is completely unresponsive, doesn’t even try to depressurise the tank. I used the emergency access pull cord thing to open the fuel tank and have been filling it up with this method for 3 months with no problem. The refuelling is slow and the pump always cuts out I presume because the tank is still pressurised when I refuel.

I scanned the car and it shows the error: 806034 ‘tank shut off valve (TAV) or pressure tank system: Safe Mode’

I guess my question is- is there some kind of trip switch for the fuel tank or similar that might have been triggered because of the crash or does the safe mode thing come up if there’s a general error with the pressurised tank?

Any ideas HUGELY appreciated!

My Cars
    2019 Silverado 2500
    The most common issue with the hybrids and fuel tanks is the "fuel tank pressure sensor". BMW extended the warranty on these sensors. However, that may not apply to European vehicles.

I've replaced more of these sensors than I could ever count (330e, 530e, 740e, X5 PHEV, i3, and i8 all have the same, or similar, sensor), and I can think of maybe only one instance where I replaced anything else fuel or fuel vapor related in a hybrid vehicle.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW f30
    Thank you so much, that’s really helpful

My Cars
    i8, Model Y, AMG GT
    Also, consider driving in sport mode on your way to the gas station. It uses the gas engine only and clears out the pressurized vapors. As well if you look for "Pats Garage" on YouTube, he has a video to remove the arm behind the gas cap cover that will keep you from having to use the trunk release. Good luck

My Cars
    2019 Silverado 2500
    There's a reason the gas door is locked on hybrids, and must use the button. The gas tank is pressurized, and the valves and vents are opened when you request to refuel the vehicle. It's for safety so you don't get any pressurized fuel or vapors spraying out of the filler cap when you open it. I definitely wouldn't be trying to defeat any safety devices.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    330e
    Hi Jimmysam, Did you manage to get the fuel tank fault fixed? If so can you give me advice please. I have exactly the same issue as you, bought a crashed 330e which I have repaired. It had airbags deployed and has the same symptoms and dash fault. Previous owner said the fault only appeared after the crash, also the fuel flap is always unlocked, not sure if this is activated by the fault or he bypassed it. Thanks Nick