Thread: How I like to see the BMW community work

My Cars
    2000 528iT

How I like to see the BMW community work

Just thought I'd post a short note of appreciation. These E39s are getting old and needy, and don't get much love outside of a small community of geeks like us. Couple that with relatively low values, keeping these things on the road takes focus, skills and dedication.

BimmrMeUpSnotty has been consistently helping me with tech guidance and some parts since I picked up my Sedona Red 528iT in February. I purchased a couple of E38 comfort seats from him, and he spent most of a day going through the seats and getting them installed in my car. Observing him go through the process suggests that he has likely forgotten more about BMWs than I know. Those seats are currently drinking in as much Leatherique as I can push into them.

The free sharing of knowledge and the direct hands on assistance makes it possible for one more rare BMW to be preserved - thanks Snotty!

(And for you originalists out there, I am keeping the original seats for return to stock if I need to :-))

Robert

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Hey Robert, just noticed this, dude, you’re welcome. Had a lot of fun, nice change to wrench with someone for a change. I really didn’t want to get rid of those seats, but i really needed the space as you could see from the small garage. You did me a big favor taking them, I'm glad they went to you. The hot weather and then the cold rain outside, lol, kicked my out of shape butt though, getting old is all kinds of fun. Now i need to install those sport seats in my green car, but first, i will clean them up some more, then tackle the custom sound system install, running all the wires underneath the carpets. Need to stop procrastinating and tackle it before work comes back and calls me in.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Agree. This is a great forum. Best I've seen for something like this.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    Agree. This is a great forum. Best I've seen for something like this.
    And it’s 99.9% of you members that make this a great forum.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Sorry to be the .1% that's caused some trouble every now and then

It hasn’t been long since Robert/raftel joined us in the E39 part of the forum, but he’s already done some major repair work that his sort of new to him E39 wagon needed, he’s learning his way around the car quite well, glad to have helped in the little ways that I have, his next phase are the subframe bushings, he had to complete the rear airbags, and now that he’s got them taken care of, he realized that the bushings were shot. He already got the bushings, Lemy’s, and glad to see that they are still from Germany! He went ahead and got the press tool, should keep him busy as soon as he puts them to good use!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Snotty, your not the .1% I was talking about.
    You are a wealth of knowledge and very helpful.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Hey thanks Jim, glad to hear that. But still, sorry for all the past incidences.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Hey thanks Jim, glad to hear that. But still, sorry for all the past incidences.
    That’s water over the dam, stay positive.
    Some of those past posts were a blast to read.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    That’s water over the dam, stay positive.
    Some of those past posts were a blast to read.
    Haha! Glad they entertained a certain group of people. Unfortunately, things are taken out of context by some with thin skin, emotions take over and the laughter gets ignored.

My Cars
    97 528i
    heck guys...I don't even own an e39 anymore and I still hang out here...haha....

JimLev - Snotty - you two guys have been great to chat back and forth with. Shoot...I can't possibly start to shout out all the members that have helped, supported, bantered, set me straight, etc. You guys ALL keep me coming back here....

Robert - congrats on the car, enjoy your projects, and I am (we are) glad that you joined here. You're in good hands with this crew.

And yes....a most sincere Thank You to everyone that puts so much effort into keeping this forum a place you always want to return to.
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    heck guys...I don't even own an e39 anymore and I still hang out here...haha....

JimLev - Snotty - you two guys have been great to chat back and forth with. Shoot...I can't possibly start to shout out all the members that have helped, supported, bantered, set me straight, etc. You guys ALL keep me coming back here....
    No e39...what are you driving now?
    Thanks for being a member adm.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    We need to get Tony back into an E39.... Wagon of course!

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    No e39...what are you driving now?
    Thanks for being a member adm.
    thanks for the kind words Jim - extremely please I joined this board. thanks for having me !!

as far as our current "non-e39" ride goes, I picked up a 2008, 132k mile, E70 3.0 sport from the Atlanta area for my wife over the winter. (and 2 days after I got it home, we sold her '97 528i).
    Meanwhile I drive a 2006 Grand Marquis. Hey...it's pretty bullet proof, has four doors, and a bike rack. What more could i ask for right ? hahaha.

We figured we could use the x-drive here in Ohio, and we definitely wanted something rust free. She absolutely loves it...!! It rides great, travels great, and seems to be a pretty good car with lots of usual suspects (water pump, radiator, etc...) addressed already. However, I am sorting through some sub-par work the PO did on the vehicle and undisclosed faults/issues. I was dealing with someone whom I thought was an enthusiast so I (foolishly) trusted the information coming to me and didn't have him take it somewhere for a PPI. Totally on me for not doing this as upon my arrival to pick up the vehicle (one-way airfare) I found that even poignant questions were not answered truthfully and many issues were undisclosed. But...like I said...I think overall it's a good vehicle. I just have a bit of sorting to do on some items and I think it will give us many years of good service like the other BMW's have. I have a good friend that own's a great indy shop a bit north of me here that helps me with a lot of stuff...plus I have the forum as well.

X5.jpg

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    This thread died quickly. Lets see, all was going well then Snotty got a pat on the back. That killed it.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green