Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: What is the bottom line for OTA updates / privacy / internet connectivity?

My Cars
    2014 F30

What is the bottom line for OTA updates / privacy / internet connectivity?

Long time lurker here with a 2014 F30, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer MY 3 series or 4 series. My dilemma is that I am pretty sure I don't want a car that is remotely accessible / connected to the internet in any way. Except maybe Maps (which seems unavoidable anyway) I see some troubling but probably inevitable developments down the road -- things like:

1) BMW selling telemetry data to third parties / insurance companies.
    2) Software updates bricking cars or being required before setting out on a drive.
    3) The slow creep of advertising. "Stop up ahead in 2.4 miles at Jimbo's Diner and receive 10% off!".
    4) Cars being hacked remotely (this is a question of when, not if).

Bottom line is that I feel like when I go on road trips I am off the grid and completely free (smartphone aside...). A car that is constantly connected to BMW's servers and trackable ruins that for me. I do not wan't an iPad with wheels.

SO, my question is just how connected are the new 2020 BMWs? It seems that the new 3 series has OTA updates which implies it has an LTE modem that BMW can connect to at will? The 4 series will probably follow suit.

Is there any spec sheet or documentation about just how connected these cars are and what remote capabilities exist?

I feel like my window of opportunity is closing or has already shut. The 2020 4 Series GC seems like my last chance but will probably get a Stop Production command very soon as the 2021 is just about out, right?

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Why not pop into your local BMW dealer and ask them if the online services are an option or if they're standard, can be switched off? Perhaps if you don't insert a SIM card, there'll be no connectivity to the cellular networks, ask them where the SIM card is. If it's an eSIM, ask where the settings are to switch off cellular connectivity. I'd have thought if you also don't pay a subscription to the car's connectivity system, that'd also prevent the system working.

Cheers, Dennis!