Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ‘Time’ to have some fun... going in for some timing fun

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    If you don’t have HOT air coming out of the cabin heater there is still air in the system.

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    Congrats on completing the job! I followed this method the two times I have done cooling system repairs and I have had excellent results. Slightly different engine but the process seems to be perfect.

https://youtu.be/Q6BeQozdOYc

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    CONGRATS!! Loved the "hoot" after startup...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2003 540
    Congrats. When you got it all back together, turned the key, and heard it fire up and come back to life, that must have been one satisfying moment. I've done a lot of work on my 03 540, but nothing like this. Must have been many hours spread out over weeks to complete. I'm impressed.

JimLev, you are a wonderful resource to all of us who take on a project, get a little lost and need direction. Bravo. Thank you.

One other thought strikes me reading this thread. What is it about this car that drives normal, rational folks to go to such lengths to drive an old BMW? I'm right there with you, but my friends think I'm crazy. The car is not worth much. There is always something triggering a code or springing a leak. And yet, we get our wrenches, open the hood, and get to work. For me, when the car is running right, it just makes me smile. And for some reason, I get satisfaction from fixing a problem that I would never attempt on another brand. Go figure.

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    It really is a nice car to wrench. It has impressive performance and drivability for a 2 decade old automobile. I always get a "nice car" from what I suspect are true automotive enthusiasts. I agree that the regulars on this forum and the forum itself have made owning this car a joy.

My Cars
    '12 Maxima '02 540i
    @ violin Ha thanks! I was elated man! So glad it was over. That repair beat the crap outta my hands.. my back... that ‘hoot’ was actually quite reserved, I edited out all the running around with arms waving etc.

@bill I started in late June, worked on it when I could. It would have been done 3 weeks earlier but I had a couple packages that were super late or got lost and another ordered. So big delays there. 1 week I was out with a bad back..

The way I see it, I’ve always enjoyed this model, it’s classy and the lines of it are timeless. It’s not round it’s not square.. it’s just right. The V8 has a great grunt to it, my Chevy buddies are always saying step on it so they can hear it. Today’s cars are overwhelmed with electronics and sensors, that you need to get a laptop or take it in to the dealer. This car isn’t that bad at all for 20yrs old tech, that’s another reason I don’t go and buy something else. Plus, since I have been working on it, I know the history of it now, with all the parts going in to it etc. But, I’m glad I can wrench though, otherwise it would be different story.

As for right now I have a pesky P0332 code for the knock sensor. It’s the only code that shows as pending. I knew I should have replaced it when I was in there. I just thought these never go bad. I’ve been driving the car all over the place and a little pinging Can be heard under acceleration. I definitely am down power when getting up in throttle. I’m going to get out the multireader and see if the sensor is kaput before I start ripping off the intake and pipes
    Last edited by bighman209; 09-19-2020 at 11:49 AM.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Congratulations!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234