Thread: order for connecting fuel injector connectors to the injectors/fuel rail

My Cars
    1984 528e

order for connecting fuel injector connectors to the injectors/fuel rail

I have a 1986 528e

I'm curious if anyone can shed some light on which injector connectors get connected to which fuel injector on the fuel rail. All the connectors look like they're the same color and i don't see any indication as to which injector each once connects to. It looks like where to connector falls in the harness generally aligns with the appropriate injector on the rail. Maybe there's a diagram or something that shows this. I'm a bit new to this and didn't label them before disconnecting ...

Thanks
    Brice
    Last edited by blockerb; 06-15-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added model and year

My Cars
    e34 535i and 98 528i
    Well the lengths of the caps go along with the injectors. Just put the closest cap on the closet injector.

Andy

My Cars
    1984 528e
    Thanks. That's kind of what i thought. follow up question. is there a specific path to route the connectors/harness to connect them? seems like one way would from below the intake and the connectors might rough through the smallish rectangular cutout on the intake near each injector. Another way might be to route the entire harness up through the center portion of the intake and then try to run the connectors from above....can't seem to recall how they were routed before.

My Cars
    1984 528e
    Ok, i figured it out. The portion of the engine wiring harness with the injector connectors on it ( there are two pigtails that house the six connectors) routes up through the center gap of the intake. From there you are correct, the various lengths line up pretty well with the injectors. I ran each length through the center hollow of the intake and over the top of the rail and each one lined up and connector fairly easily. Helped to remove the valve cover to make more clearance to grab them and get them connected. Also of note, the cold start valve connector and the ICV connector are part of one of those same pigtails with the injector connectors and those continue on over the fuel rail to connect on the other side of the intake. Hope this helps someone else. thanks.