Thread: Looking for Detailed "how to" for removing factory sun roof.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu

Looking for Detailed "how to" for removing factory sun roof.

My sun Roof needs a new seal on the sliding roof and below.

Need to get the old seal off and a new one on. It leaks from the edge of the head liner around the opening, the drains down the A pillars work fine fixed them already.

First I guess I need to get a new seal - hum?

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Daryl, that seal does not(should not) cause leaks, it just slows down water flow. Leaks usually are because of clogged drains or alignment of the sunroof is way off. Put some water on the sides and see if it drains down or overflows into the car.

I have replaced the seal (2 piece one) without removing the sunroof- first remove the rear part of the seal when the sunroof is in vent position, then open it (so the rear part is inside the roof) and swap the front part of the seal.

New seal is around $100 and what I have learned is that the correct seal is one piece seal. Two piece seals are more expensive (because you need two) and seem to be the wrong length. I just bought one piece seal recently as I am slowly collecting/replacing rubber seals on the car. I have not tried to see how it fits and if I can use the method above without removing the sunroof.

Max

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl556 View Post
    Daryl, that seal does not(should not) cause leaks, it just slows down water flow. Leaks usually are because of clogged drains or alignment of the sunroof is way off. Put some water on the sides and see if it drains down or overflows into the car.

I have replaced the seal (2 piece one) without removing the sunroof- first remove the rear part of the seal when the sunroof is in vent position, then open it (so the rear part is inside the roof) and swap the front part of the seal.

New seal is around $100 and what I have learned is that the correct seal is one piece seal. Two piece seals are more expensive (because you need two) and seem to be the wrong length. I just bought one piece seal recently as I am slowly collecting/replacing rubber seals on the car. I have not tried to see how it fits and if I can use the method above without removing the sunroof.

Max
    Thanks Max

My seal on the sliding roof is falling off on it's own, I think this lets water weak around and drip inside the drain of the roof? Not sure?

Where did you get your seal?

Daryl

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    I think this seal is more for wind noise and to slow down water, it does not prevent water from getting in. If you open a sunroof, there are two holes in the front corners, these are drain channels. I'd pour some water on the sides (kind of like valleys) and see how it drains. Water suppose to drain behind front fenders.

I got my seal from BMW dealer online (getbmwparts.com).I usually get parts from them. Part # 54121903725. I have not had time to see how it fits or install it. I better go see if it is the correct size.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    My sun Roof needs a new seal on the sliding roof and below.

Need to get the old seal off and a new one on. It leaks from the edge of the head liner around the opening, the drains down the A pillars work fine fixed them already.

First I guess I need to get a new seal - hum?
    That's not what I was thinking when read the title . Thought you wanted help removing completely ie delete the entire trolley from the roof and more race car. Can't help much for factory repair on that.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    Step 1 : Buy a slicktop

Step 2 : Drink a beer, you’ve earned it

The first step is optional

-John