Thread: Looking for new windshield

My Cars
    850i-6sp, MR2-T, SC400

Looking for new windshield

Hello all, it's been awhile since I have posted anything, but searched and couldn't come up with anything fairly recent on E31 windshields. I got a chip with star crack in the bottom of my windshield and safelite said it's not repairable. They quoted me almost $1000 for a new BMW windshield before installation labor. I didn't ask them for a quote for one of their windshields and don't even know if they make one. They also said they could only locate one in the US, but it was a fairly quick search on their part, so I'm not sure how thorough their search is. Anybody here have any ideas about where else to look, or experience getting one replaced? $1000 doesn't surprise me, but a cheaper price wouldn'the upset me either. Also not sure if there is anything unique about the E31 windshield relative to more common BMW's that would make replacement challenging, or additional parts that may be needed to do the job right. I have had recent experience with our local safelite on a similar vintage Toyota vehicle, and the person that worked on it was a 25 year veteran of the company, and he did a great job. I have his name and would request him if I go with them for this job. Thanks in advance for any info.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    $1k for just the glass is high... but you will need the new gasket too. Together ahould still be well under that.
    Do NOT use an aftermarket glass... you've been warned.
    Go to the dealer. Have them order it. If there is one in the US, it will be there pretty quick... but if it coms from Germany, be prepared to wait 10 days.
    Windshields are one of the few items you really want to go through your LOCAL dealer for... because they won't ship them straight to you.
    once you have the OEM glass & gasket, the safelite guys should be able to install it easily enough.

...and don't even think about using the aftermarket glass... seriously
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    Do NOT use an aftermarket glass... you've been warned.

...and don't even think about using the aftermarket glass... seriously

What he said ^^^! I currently have an aftermarket windshield & it sucks. Experiencing lots of wind noise at freeway speed.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    850i-6sp, MR2-T, SC400
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to do a little more research so I have a good understanding of parts needed for the replacement and what needs to be removed so I can insure the work is done properly. I did come across other posts about wind noise from aftermarket glass, so will definitely be going with OEM. I intended to contact a local dealer today, but got too busy at work. Since my insurance deductible is the same as the windshield cost, I will at least get the installation cost covered. My car is in extremely good condition for its age (or even a much newer car), so I want to make sure this is done right.

My Cars
    1995 BMW840
    Just replaced my windshield (Windscreen here in Scotland) this week. Our weather is not great so I had to rub down and prepare the surface as it was corroded. I can only advise you to check the metal when you have removed the old windscreen. The outer rubber seal (51318108043 Weatherstrip) is cosmetic and probably reduces wind noise, does not seal the glass to the body. I was able to remove the weatherstrip without damaging it and reuse, but this was probably due to the previous fitter doing a good job originally. At the bottom seal of the windscreen there are 4 rubber supports which sit about 6mm proud and are only about 6mm in diameter. These can get damaged when removing the old windscreen. I suggest if they are damaged, you or your fitter will need to fabricate a similar support, I used small rubber o-rings as I could not find a part number, but they are hidden from view once the new windscreen is installed. Best of luck. My car is 1995 840ci.
    Last edited by shogun; 06-06-2020 at 07:27 AM. Reason: double posts merged

radlaw is offline SoCalEights Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci

My Cars
    1995 840 Ci, 1959 Sprite
    Had to replace a rear windscreen last year. Safelite could not find an aftermarket and Insurance didn’t want to pay for original BMW price....but finally relented when no aftermarket was found. Safelite required new rubber and that was somewhat pricey too. I was told front was even more expensive and hard to find.

My Cars
    997tt,850,02m5,w140 s500
    there are 2 good ones at junkyards in chicago.

so only a few hours away from you if your in st. louis. pm me if your interested in that route.

i found one in chicago, & im not too far. so drove and picked it up. 40 bucks is all he wanted.