Thread: Car Not Accepting New Battery

My Cars
    E46 M3 Coupe

Exclamation Car Not Accepting New Battery

Hey all,

I recently had to replace my E46 M3's battery and I'm having some issues I'm hoping I could get some advice on. It all started when I couldn't start my car a few weeks ago -- the battery was probably 7 years old so it was time. It was a BMW battery, and I replaced it with a Duralast Gold Battery H7-DLG Group Size 94R 800 CCA, one that I found recommended by others on these forums. When I first replaced it, I could start my car and everything was great. But just a few days later I could no longer start my car -- it would turn on electronics but when I tried to turn on the ignition, all electronics would die.

I thought the battery was bad so I took it back to autozone and they checked it -- they said it still had 100% charge and that the issue was that I needed to register the battery with my ECU. This is strange because every guide that I read about replacing the battery for E46 M3's didn't say you had to, in fact iirc one explicitly said that you only have to starting with E90s. [1][2][3][4]. Indeed, I have a BMW OBD diagnostic tool but there isn't even an option for battery management for the E46s on the tool, only the E90 and above.

Is there something I'm missing? What steps do you recommend I take to figure out why my car is still failing to start? At this point I'm thinking I might just take it to my mechanic but maybe there is just something stupid or obvious I'm missing that you guys could let me know so that's why I'm asking here first.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    As you said battery management only started on e90s. My friend had an auto zone do the battery on his e90 anyways and the car would still start. None of the lights or gauges would work, and he had to have it resynced. But it still started.

In your case you have another issue going on. Since it started temporarily for a few days and then stopped, I recommend having it properly diagnosed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    As stated, an E46 never requires 'battery registration'.

IMHO, it sound like a bad Alternator or a bad ground. What voltage are you getting while the car is running? There is an OBD sequence that will provide this information.
    Last edited by All2kool; 06-05-2020 at 10:08 AM.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

Clean the posts and the battery clamps on both sides, then give that a go.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    When reading your description the first time, I was thinking that is was a stuffed alternator not charging the battery. But Autozone tested the battery and it was 100 % charged, so it can't be that.

Do you have a multi-meter? If so, set it up on DC Volts connected to the jump start terminals under the bonnet/hood and place the meter on the windshield so you can read it from inside the car. It should read somewhere around 12.5 Volts for a fully charged battery. Go to start the car and watch the multi-meter. If the volts drop well below 12 Volts, then the battery is delivering lots or current into something. Most likely a stuffed starter motor. The other possibility is a stuffed cell in the battery, which can be found through a load test at Autozone.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    E46 M3 Coupe
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I checked the engine bay terminal connections and they were tight. I then decided to reinstall the battery, but first I cleaned the terminal connectors that connect to the battery (thanks @dworthy) with some distilled vinegar and lots of scrubbing to remove some minor deposits that had built up on the positive one especially. I then reinstalled the battery making sure the connections where extra tight, and voila! That seemed to do it. Seems like it was just a case of a slightly imperfect connection. Glad it seems to be working now but if my car doesn't start again tomorrow... I'll let you know. ����