Thread: Trunk Gurney Flaps?

My Cars
    several

Trunk Gurney Flaps?

Has anyone ran across a 2-3" gurney flap that fits the trunk of the E36? Aesthetically tolerant is a good feature... I've tried lookin' but just have been striking out :/

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    I assume you mean a small lip directly on the trunk (no wing installed). AFAIK gurney flaps are generally rubber and are added to existing aero devices, like the gurney flaps Braymond141 offers on his website: msportparts -- gurney flap. I don't know of a rubber gurney flap/lip that fits directly to the trunk, but there are other non-rubber options available:

1. For a subtle lip, check out E46 M3 trunk lip if your car is a coupe. E39 M5 trunk lip for sedans. Both lips will fit E36 coups and sedans, but the M3 lip will be ~1/4" short on each side on a coupe trunk, and the M5 lip will overhang a coupe's trunk ~1/8" on each side. Some people prefer the M5 lip on their coupe, some don't. Here's a thread covering fitment.

2. There are also eBay lips, varying in size and shape (this one is for sedans). Of course you're taking a slight gamble on fitment/quality, but at ~$45 you may like your chances.

3. There are also larger lips like this one from cliquetuning. I don't know anything about that company or their products, just remembered they had a larger lip available.

What sort of size/style/material are you looking for? Any lips on other cars you've seen that you liked? That may help us narrow down a similar version for the E36. Hope that helps!
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpy2 View Post
    I assume you mean a small lip directly on the trunk (no wing installed). AFAIK gurney flaps are generally rubber and are added to existing aero devices, like the gurney flaps Braymond141 offers on his website: msportparts -- gurney flap. I don't know of a rubber gurney flap/lip that fits directly to the trunk, but there are other non-rubber options available:

1. For a subtle lip, check out E46 M3 trunk lip if your car is a coupe. E39 M5 trunk lip for sedans. Both lips will fit E36 coups and sedans, but the M3 lip will be ~1/4" short on each side on a coupe trunk, and the M5 lip will overhang a coupe's trunk ~1/8" on each side. Some people prefer the M5 lip on their coupe, some don't. Here's a thread covering fitment.

2. There are also eBay lips, varying in size and shape (this one is for sedans). Of course you're taking a slight gamble on fitment/quality, but at ~$45 you may like your chances.

3. There are also larger lips like this one from cliquetuning. I don't know anything about that company or their products, just remembered they had a larger lip available.

What sort of size/style/material are you looking for? Any lips on other cars you've seen that you liked? That may help us narrow down a similar version for the E36. Hope that helps!
    Thanks for shout out, Michael!

My flaps can be used on the bare trunk lid. It's subtle, but I also dig it. A friend did it on his sedan.

Last edited by Braymond141; 06-04-2020 at 02:41 AM.

My Cars
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Thanks for shout out, Michael!

My flaps can be used on the bare trunk lid. It's subtle, but I also dig it. A friend did it on his sedan.
    This helps a lot. Id want one between 33ish-75mm but following same contour along trunk (I have a sedan). Ideally, it would be rigid as it should be. Given I got enough of a crude model made up in some aero programs, I walked away with a height of ~1.25-3inches as the height range I need. The angled back ones/ non perpendicular... well, not all that functional (and ugly as sin IMHO).

Braymond, thats a good looking one for sure! Mighty tempting too. Literally that very one but if 30mm in height, itd be perfect.

It was either a spoiler or an adjustable end plate mounted wing which doesnt exist. The spoiler is way more budget friendly verse printing up stanchions and getting a center element designed.
    Last edited by OKsweetrides; 06-04-2020 at 12:39 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OKsweetrides View Post
    This helps a lot. Id want one between 33ish-75mm but following same contour along trunk (I have a sedan). Ideally, it would be rigid as it should be. Given I got enough of a crude model made up in some aero programs, I walked away with a height of ~1.25-3inches as the height range I need. The angled back ones/ non perpendicular... well, not all that functional (and ugly as sin IMHO).

Braymond, thats a good looking one for sure! Mighty tempting too. Literally that very one but if 30mm in height, itd be perfect.

It was either a spoiler or an adjustable end plate mounted wing which doesnt exist. The spoiler is way more budget friendly verse printing up stanchions and getting a center element designed.
    Mine are 25mm set on the tallest angle (3 to choose from). Very low compared to what you are after.

My Cars
    several
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Mine are 25mm set on the tallest angle (3 to choose from). Very low compared to what you are after.
    I did *not* know yours is adjustable! Lemme see what I can twerk on it

Is it the "replica gurney flap" - bottom gurney flap on your site?
    Last edited by OKsweetrides; 06-04-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    1998 M3 Sedan - LS3 M12T56 - A bad addiction.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OKsweetrides View Post
    I did *not* know yours is adjustable! Lemme see what I can twerk on it

Is it the "replica gurney flap" - bottom gurney flap on your site?
    They are the same shape for top or bottom, just the lengths differ.

That's the one. They are replicas of the OE BMW gurney flaps.

My Cars
    E36 m3
    I got a couple of these from Braymond141 a couple of years ago. They are very nicely done.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rpmm3 View Post
    I got a couple of these from Braymond141 a couple of years ago. They are very nicely done.
    Thank you! If you had one of the first sets (fat version), they have changed design and material for the better twice now