Thread: 2012 BMW 528i blower motor issue

My Cars
    528i

2012 BMW 528i blower motor issue

Hi all,
    My 2012 BMW 528I fan works for few seconds and doesn't turn on again. The issue was minor few months back and now it is not turning on at all (once in a while turns on for 2-3 seconds). There is no error displayed and all controls seem to work fine. I have already cleaned the filter and I don't see any issues there.

My first guess was battery (it went down to 11.7v) and recently replaced with BMW CP battery matching 105ah and registered. However, that did not solve the problem. I have replaced the FSU, which again didn't do any good. Blower motor itself looks good and there are no leaves or friction that I noticed.

ISTA+ shows the error "open circuit" for HVAC and the first diagnosis is checking the fuse. ISTA doesnt say which fuse need to be checked and I tried to find fuse diagrams online. I've found 2 versions of the diagram for this model and one says Fuse 68 is for blower motor behind glovebox, at the same time there is no Fuse 68 marked on the diagram. The other diagram doesn't give any details of the fuses, however fuse locations are different (both diagrams are for 2012 F10). I really appreciate if anyone can help me find the right fuse for blower motor and the location of the fuse. I have already looked up all possible threads i could find, most of those direct to FSU and no information found on fuse for this model.

My Cars
    Sounds pretty simple if you ask me. Replace the blower motor.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    528i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Sounds pretty simple if you ask me. Replace the blower motor.
    Replacement blower motor is coming tomorrow. Hope it solves the problem. Out of curiosity, wondering if the blown fuses aren't the primary suspect for open circuit issue?

My Cars
    Have you confirmed there is an blown fuse? You stated you couldn't find it. If the fuse was blown, the blower would never turn on, not intermittently, or for a few seconds as you described.

My Cars
    528i
    Have you confirmed there is an blown fuse? You stated you couldn't find it. If the fuse was blown, the blower would never turn on, not intermittently, or for a few seconds as you described.
    Thank you for the response. You were right when you said the blower motor needs to be replaced. I couldn't find the fuse, this morning blower motor arrived, replaced it and everything back to normal. No more sweaty seats and fogged windshield. To my surprise, original resistor is still good, it is just the motor that is blown.
    Now that everything working fine, wondering if I need to register the replaced blower motor with ISTA?

My Cars
    No, there is no registration for a blower motor. Just clear any fault codes if there was any.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    528i
    No, there is no registration for a blower motor. Just clear any fault codes if there was any.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Thank you!