Thread: 95 M3 won't stay running

My Cars
    1995 M3 luxury edition

95 M3 won't stay running

just trying to figure out where to start this time...A few years ago my crankshaft position sensor went bad. year or so later my EWS fried. 1 test drive after it was fixed and it wouldn't start. the guy that did my ews checked it out and my crank sensor was bad again. drove great after that. a few months later i stopped driving the car every day after getting another daily driver. one time i let it sit about 2 months, so i decided to drive it to work one day. started perfect, ran great. half way there it started spitting and sputtering and died. after it sits for say 20 or 30 minutes it will fire right up, run great for 5 minutes, then bog down to an idle of about 300ish rpms. try to hit the gas and it dies. last time it acted like that it was the fuel system, but i replaced every single piece of the fuel system. i mean everything - pump, new hard lines, pressure regulator, fuel bar. i think it may have acted the same way the first time the crank sensor went bad, but i might be conflating that with the time i had to replace the fuel system. after the ews when the sensor went bad it just wouldn't start. I've replaced to much on this car over the years its had to decide there to start testing. before it sat for 2 months it ran great. the entire top end was redone a while back. 21.5 injectors but its always ran fine with them. full exhaust but i retained the O2 sensor and its always ran fine. just had a random thought that maybe there is something that can cause repeated crank sensor failures? i would assume it the reluctor wheel was damaged or warped then it should have affected how it ran. the cam sensor was replaced right before the first crank sensor, maybe its time for that again? new plugs, new coils, so it know the fuel and spark should be good unless an important sensor is bad which would throw one/the other/both off. its that time of year again so its time for me do dust her off and get my baby back on the road. just figured i would ask if anyone has seen symptoms like only running for a few minutes then bogging down, or maybe there's some e36 problem that i somehow haven't encountered over the years...

95 M3
    S50/AT
    lots of work over the years but its all either oem or high performance parts. Turner, Pelican, genuine OEM. the only piece i dont know the origins of is that crank sensor, but the guy that did it used to work for bmw and has specialized in them for years and years so i have always trusted him and i'm pretty sure it was direct from the local bmw dealership. thanks in advance for reading, i figured if nothing else maybe talking about it out loud will jog my brain before i climb under the hood and start poking around again

Watch me spin a road sign!!:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sO3krpFDnA

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Try.resetting the DME, remove the negative from the battery and touch the cable to the positive for 20 seconds.

You could have bad wiring concerning your sensor going bad more than once.

Was the fuel filter done? If your not sure do it again.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert
    After sitting for 2 years my 99 M3 would just bog down and die after starting. Cleaned the idle control valve, ran a bit better, but still died, and misfired like crazy. Drained the tank of the old gas, then changed the MAF and that fixed it ish, I'd still have to floor it to get it to start, but once it warmed up it would run decently, but quite lean.

Finally changed the injectors out for a rebuilt pair. Problem solved completely. Old injectors with 130k on them had so much black gunk on them.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E36 M3 forum from E36 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1995 M3 luxury edition
    i did the fuel filter when i replaced the entire fuel system. thats one of the things i just figured i was going to do when i started in on it just because of how long its sat. its been sitting a bit, but i pulled the battery when i parked it, so i've got it on the charger and i'm going to get a fuel filter tomorrow, drain the tank, and start with some fresh gas so i can check the fuel pressure. i cleaned out the idle valve last time i had the manifold off, if nothing else works i'll check that as i go through the typical check list. i know i havent done myself and favors by letting it sit, so now i'm gonna give it a good once over while i'm working on it. this car used to be my life, and i've neglected it for too long. i just want to get it driving again so i can motivate myself to continue my plans for the car as i originally intended

Watch me spin a road sign!!:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sO3krpFDnA

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Intake boot cracks or ICV hose that plugs into it underneath cracked or unplugged?
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/