Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose Kidneys

My Cars
    00 540i-6, 86 951

Loose Kidneys

Both Kidney grills are loose in the hood. Is this the clip?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-clamp-61131925120
    open-uri20150528-29484-9jl10b_.jpg

Where/how does it go?
    Regards,

doug
    Waterloo, Ontario Canada, eh

16 E400 4Matic Wagon (wife-mobile)
    86 951 (http://pcaucr.org/media/image-galler...all&gallery=22)
    01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...body-do-2.html)
    00 540i-6 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hp?albumid=976)
    94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
    85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
    76 300D (sold in 92)
    83 944 (sold in 86)
    I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Unfortunately the plastic ppresure clips to hold the kidney grills are built into the frame of the kidney and are not sold separately.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...58#51132497261

There are aftermarket frames that include the clips if you want to go that route:

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...ew?product=N39

Or you can try to wedge a makeshift shim in between to keep it in place.

My Cars
    00 540i-6, 86 951
    OK, sounds like a gob of RTV in each spot will work. Probably.
    Regards,

doug

01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...body-do-2.html)
    85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
    76 300D (sold in 92)
    83 944 (sold in 86)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    The kidneys are held in by plastic nubbins on the inside surface to protect the paint, and the grills snap in place.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Quote Originally Posted by dykaar View Post
    OK, sounds like a gob of RTV in each spot will work. Probably.
    Yeah, basically what this guy did to their kidney grill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AzWqXPJypU

My Cars
    00 540i-6, 86 951
    Exactamundo, except with RTV. I hate broken nubbins.
    Regards,

doug

85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
    76 300D (sold in 92)
    83 944 (sold in 86)

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    Has anyone purchased from the Schiedmann site. Looks interesting.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    If it's broken, I'd tend to want to replace it. If any of the RTV is in contact with paint, I'd tend to want to do something different that is less likely to damage the clear.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by scubajim20 View Post
    Has anyone purchased from the Schiedmann site. Looks interesting.
    I purchased M5 headers from them back in 2015 for my 540.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    When in doubt, pull out the JB Weld, or what that guy used when he cut his boat in half!
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    OP never stated how loose the kidney was. If just one nubbins cracked, RTV would be fine IMHO. No need to get another full grill when the new one will likely crack just well too since they are now made in China.

If 2 or 3 nubbins break, surely makes more sense to get a new grill or frame. When the nubbins on the M5 replacement grills I have broke, I simply used the frame from the factory grills I had to swap with the M5 grills.

OP can simply go to a pick and pull and check for grills and frames too. The solution really depends on how loose those grills are.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    You all are aware we are talking about $100 for a new set correct? If you can't afford to install a grill that is shiny, non pitted, cracked or "loose" time to sell the damn thing!

What's next used brake pads? Oh, that's right we already had this conversation on this forum...

Your next ride:
    Bike or mom's minivan....
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    You all are aware we are talking about $100 for a new set correct? If you can't afford to install a grill that is shiny, non pitted, cracked or "loose" time to sell the damn thing!

What's next used brake pads? Oh, that's right we already had this conversation on this forum...

Your next ride:
    Bike or mom's minivan....
    Yeah, tell that to long time member CN90 who regreases pulley that cost $10 or aligns their own car when a professional alignment is less than $100

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...heel-Alignment

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...=pulley+grease

Yeah 3 yrs ago, I'd agree with the enthusiast route but after taking so good care of my 540i for the past 18 yrs only to find it worth less than $6,000 in it's current pristine condition, it's pick and choose your replacements based on conditions at this point. B/C my current grills are not pitted and still shiny and were Made in Germany. Maybe yours are and need replacement. But you'll get Made in China if you do.
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 06-03-2020 at 02:28 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    You will only get cheap Chinese made ones if you buy cheap Chinese made ones. It doesn't matter how cheap these cars have gotten. If you love it like we all do, show it some love, buy the good stuff. That goes for everything on these cars. If you think it's not worth it, then you don't care about the car. If you're driving around in a car that you don't care for, my god, then this conversation is a lost cause. Don't know about some of you guys anymore, what I do know is, that I still love these old BMW's just as much now as I first did the first time they came out. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my silver wagon, as much as I don't want to, I don't really spend as much time with it as I do my other E39's. I know I do want to find another E28. I'd love a 535is, but might just be better to get an any E28, as long as it doesn't have rust, throw an S52 or an S54 into it. Euro bumpers and headlights are a must!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Right, because more and more stuff for our E39s are being made in Germany after they've become classics. WRONG. More than 3/4 of Lemforders/Behrs are made in China not Germany or Europe now. Just look at all the threads about Behr expansion tanks, Lemforder control arms and such.

I used to think like you for the past 18 yrs and now when i drive less than 500 miles a year but pay over $2,000/yr for my garage space in the big city along with $700 for annual insurance and minimal maintenance but new tires every 10 years with 5000 miles on the set, it works out to $6-10+ per mile , I'd rather just take an Uber or Mass transit and not worry about tickets, parking fees. These days there are plenty of other cars in the sub $30k category that are just as fun.

So, let's just say, we can agree to disagree. Because everyone's situation is different after nearly 20+ years into the cars. I know despite how well I've taken care of my car, you all will not even entertain anything over $7000k for it.

The wake up call was when Fudman sold his 530i for $3k in one day.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...7#post13322927

Porsche, Telsa or AMG will be next on my list. But Uber sounds nice for a while for me. More so now that we're working from home and even commuting is not needed anymore..
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 06-03-2020 at 07:33 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Lol, dude, so since Lemforder dropped the ball, going into that, knowing about the problem, don't buy it, on parts like that, if you want the Lemforder, get them without the bushings, that's what I did, and got the bushings from BMW. The Meyle sticky bobber expansion tanks? Why buy those? I got the BMW bottles. Sounds like you're giving up, heck, you even posted a video about some stooge who JB weld epoxied his crapped out grills to the hood... How much you wanna bet, two weeks later he needed to bust the grills back out because he also neglected to lube up his hood latch cables?

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty;30485281.
    Sounds like you're giving up, heck, you even posted a video about some stooge who JB weld epoxied his crapped out grills to the hood... How much you wanna bet, two weeks later he needed to bust the grills back out because he also neglected to lube up his hood latch cables?
    Scotty. You're not listening as usual.... I don't have China parts on my car since I've done all the major overhauls back in 2009 and with less than 500 miles per year, at $6-$10 per mile, the economics don't make sense.

The video was posted for the benefit of OP not for you. If you don't have anything positive to contribute to the threads beside your rants, just let it be. Seriously, it's not always about you or what you want people to do.

BUT if you want to continue on, I'm more than happy to go head to head with these useless rants but I'm sure Jim will not like it.
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 06-03-2020 at 08:42 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Really? Was that so offensive? I wasn’t just talking to you, you know. I’m just throwing my opinion out there for others that might want to do things right. Practice what you preach, your opinion is not the only one out there either. Others on here put many daily driven miles on their E39’s , not 500 a year, I throw a crap ton of miles on my cars, he’ll, I love driving the damn things, isn’t that what this is all about??? What good is it to love a car that never gets driven? I’m sorry I hurt your feelings..... I’ll be quiet now... maybe for five minutes, maybe more.

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Really? Was that so offensive? I wasn’t just talking to you, you know. I’m just throwing my opinion out there for others that might want to do things right. Practice what you preach, your opinion is not the only one out there either. Others on here put many daily driven miles on their E39’s , not 500 a year, I throw a crap ton of miles on my cars, he’ll, I love driving the damn things, isn’t that what this is all about??? What good is it to love a car that never gets driven? I’m sorry I hurt your feelings..... I’ll be quiet now... maybe for five minutes, maybe more.

You still don't get it do you Scotty? Learn to communicate instead of inserting yourself into an conversation with useless banter. I, let me repeat that word, I. drive 500 miles a year and pay $2,000 a year for a parking space while YOU and many others drive 10,000 or more. SO why should I follow your suggestion to keep it? In fact, I don't need a car anymore living with Uber, Lyft and trains every few blocks. And when I get back into something, I'm sure I'll enjoy the 911, the Telsa with Ludicrious mode or AMG 63 just as much. It may not be an E39 but and E39 is not the only fun car in existence.

You didn't hurt my feelings, you simply rarely understand where anyone else if coming from and just go on about some other topic unrelated to what OP is asking. Jim may find it amusing, but it sure gets tiring for some of the new members trying to get some straight answers. It's absolutely amazing how this always comes back to being thick skin or thin skin. It's not. It's about trying to address OPs questions without any of the BS you seem to add.

I gave plenty of options to OP which is alot more that you added to this thread as usual. If OP wants to RTV his kidney grill that's his right. I gave him a link in RealOEM with a part number if he wants to buy OEM, I gave him a link to Schniederman if he wanted a frame only. I gave him a link to Youtube, simply as a reply to his RTV. Let the next BUYER judge him for what OEM he did or didn't buy while owning it. It's not for us to decide what he puts on his car.

As for me, why do I need lemforder bushings when I already have Powerflex Bushings all around that don't wear out? Or why buy a Meyle sticky tank when I already have a spare Behr that doesn't stick? You were replying to me, weren't you? Or was that a general statement for someone asking about a kidney grill?! Do you have any idea how much spare goods I have over 18 years that's not made in China? No, you probably don't. But as usual, another thread derailed by Scotty
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 06-04-2020 at 01:33 AM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMBlack-540i View Post
    You still don't get it do you Scotty? Learn to communicate instead of inserting yourself into an conversation with useless banter. I, let me repeat that word, I. Get it I drive 500 miles a year and pay $2,000 a year for a parking space while YOU and many others drive 10,000 or more. SO why should I follow your suggestion to keep it? In fact, I don't need a car anymore living with Uber, Lyft and trains every few blocks.

You didn't hurt my feelings, you simply rarely understand where anyone else if coming from and just go on about so other topic unrelated to what OP is asking. Jim may find it amusing, but it sure gets tiring for some of the new members trying to get some straight answers. It's absolutely amazing how this always comes back to being thick skin or thin skin. It's not. It's about trying address OPs questions without any of the BS you always add.

I gave plenty of options to OP which is alot more that you added to this thread as usual. Like, for me, why do I need lefmorder bushings when I have Powerflex Bushings all around that don't wear out? Or why buy a Meyle sticky tank when I already have a spare Behr that doesn't stick? You were replying to me, weren't you? Or was that a general statement for someone asking about a kidney grill?! Do you have any idea how much spare shit I have over 18 years that's not made in China?

No, you don't. But as usual, another thread derailed by Scotty.
    First of all, the name is not Scotty. Second, I did address op’s question by suggesting he should buy new grills rather than booger up his car like you suggested for him to do. Ok, I’ll admit, I didn’t have to call you guys a bunch of hacks, but that’s what It was, pure hackery. All I was arguing for was that these cars deserve better. You suggest that others watch a video which you posted, some dude using a JB Weld epoxy hotdog, I drew my line. You reported it, it’s cool, I’m ok with that, they warned me, doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to post what’s on my mind anymore on this thread. Hell, you even suggested that I should stop posting on it or what? Jim would be called again by you? What am I doing? I’m posting my opinions, just like you are. You’ve accused me of hogging up the thread, funny, you’re doing so too, I’m not threatening to press the report button, nothing wrong with that. Op? I think we are way past the grills, it’s either you booger it up with stupid hackjob fixes, or you replace them. What’s so hard about that? I’ll admit, I’m guilty of switching subjects, I do that all the time, I just got off the phone with a buddy out in Washington State, 4 hour conversation starting with the rear wagon spoiler that we talked about on another thread three or four years ago, he completed the project, sort of was my idea, and is now actively selling beautiful versions of the long discontinued oem BMW wagon rear spoilers, I just got mine today, yesterday, and it is beautiful. I may even end up ordering the carbon fiber version for my green wagon and throw the FRP one on the silver one. Change of subjects? My mind is always spinning at 150mph, I was posting on this thread and others while I was on a four hour conversation with someone while you were posting your side of your argument on this thread. I didn’t mean to rattle you, I definitely am not trying to right now either, so you can calm down, I am not trying to argue with you, but you should know, since we now sort of are, you do not get to tell others what they can and cannot speak about, threatening to report him and such. That four hour conversation? You will not believe how many crazy different topics we spoke about. All this comes from this crazy love affair we all have with the E39. I want Op to be better for his car, not hack it all up.

I have a set of free flat black grills brand new for him if he wants it. They are not oem, but they are free, I won’t be using them, definitely free of Covid 19 as I have had them brand new in a box for well over 3 years. My brother bought them for a 540 that I gave him, when I saw them, I harped on him about buying cheap China and gave him a new set of oem grills. I’m not using them. For all I know, they probably don’t fit as good as a good oem set, but they’re new and they are free. You were actually the one that was harping on everything being Chinese. My argument on that statement was, Don’t want Chinese parts? Don’t buy Chinese parts. You brought up Lemforders failures, BehrHellas expansion bottle failures, I apologize, I believe I said Meyle’s bobber failures, look it up, their float bobbers are known to get stuck telling you your coolant level is low. It’s not useless knowledge. Hopefully some others that were about to order the stuff see this and do more research before a purchase. I just ordered a massive cooling system overhaul batch of parts from FCP for the 540, I almost got the Meyle exp bottle because their website will suggest you get that one when you click on the BMW one because it will save you $60, being supposedly the same one from the dealership, only with the BMW logo shaved off. Glad I checked up on it, as on my i6’s I opted to get them straight from the BMW dealership. Found out a whole bunch of people were having to replace them because the floats were sticking. I did the same for the pump, pulley, even the bolts.... well, somehow, I lost the stupid bolts. Lol. Radiator is good, threw that on a couple years ago, but it was a BehrHella radiator from Germany, not South Africa. Same with all the hoses. I should have just gotten them from the dealership as I do get a wholesale discount, but figured just go for FCP and be lifetime warrantied on everything. So since this has nothing to do with the grills, it is still useful info. I’m not perfect, never said I was, nobody is. Neither are you. $2000 a year for parking in NY city? That’s cheap, but on a car you never drive? Yeah, that sucks, I don’t drive my silver wagon as much, I’m thinking I may let it go, but..... the whole reason I snagged that car, it was $500, or it was gonna get parted out. I knew what the po had done with the car, everything suspension related was replaced, all the subframe bushings front and rear all done, car drives like a champ, glad I got it, best 371,000 mile $500 car I ever found. Only $500 car I e ever owned, but the engine And transmission was yanked, all the drivetrain swapped out from a donor wagon with 90,000 miles, the car deserved better than the scrapyard, so I went out and got it. That’s how much I love these things, just to give you some insight into my strange ways.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    OK guys, might be better to take this woman ratchet jawing off line and PM each other if you want to keep busting each other's balls.
    It's gone too far off topic and it's not amusing.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMBlack-540i View Post
    Yeah, tell that to long time member CN90 who regreases pulley that cost $10 or aligns their own car when a professional alignment is less than $100

Yeah 3 yrs ago, I'd agree with the enthusiast route but after taking so good care of my 540i for the past 18 yrs only to find it worth less than $6,000 in it's current pristine condition, it's pick and choose your replacements based on conditions at this point. B/C my current grills are not pitted and still shiny and were Made in Germany. Maybe yours are and need replacement. But you'll get Made in China if you do.
    You are completely correct. Some owners have lots of frustrated engineering genes that require a unique level of effort that no one besides themselves would ever do. Having done some of these things in the past and seen the short term results, I choose to replace parts with known good brands and so far I have not had any issues that others have posted. I personally believe that many are self induced through poor tech skills and processes that leave a lot of variables waiting to pop.

Every car ownership reaches a critical point where you start asking yourself, "Why am I doing this?". I have the same question floating by frequently as cashing out and buying a Ferrari V8 looks like a better investment of time, $$, and effort.

Regarding our old BMWs, people on this site want 100% sorted car at low ball prices. My suggestion is not to advertise any car on this site, but go after the general market car buyers as that would give you access to other car nuts who buy the example as it is rather than compared to the one they have or had. The first group who are seeking low cost on your car are the same ones who complain when their insurance company totals out their ride for $3950..."After all its just a 20 year old car with XX mileage" waaaa waaa.

As more and more city dwellers find themselves remote workers, cars become an expense and a unwanted money drain, that each owner gets to choose how to spend their time and funds. Snotty, I, and many are located in what I call - close in suburbs, so short commutes and a space to park that comes with the house. Not having cars to wash, wax and tinker with as well as a yard to make picture perfect, would make me nuts as I have anal tendencies that would go into high gear if all I had to organize were the carpet fibers and silverware drawer. Besides the kitchen is my wife's domain (someone who measured all the cooking pots and utensils and made sure when the custom cabinets were built, every drawer depth allowed complete coverage. Pot drawer, pan drawer, ladles, pull outs, racks, split shelves, etc... You would think she was me!).

With the advent of hyper sanitation awareness, I can't wait until we see lawsuits against UBER and other companies for not having a set of posted standards, hourly checks, lab testing requirements, and driver/owner training program. This current pandemic is sending a huge increase of city renters to seek suburb housing. The WSJ is now running daily stories on high end couples fleeing high risk apt living looking for a better life for themselves and children. Gee, living in packed living quarters has downstream environmental negative impacts, WHO KNEW?! If you can operate remote, why would you live in a packed, high taxed, high risk, high cost areas when you are just a phone voice and or WEBEX image? Heck my company has workers in 19 States working on client programs and projects via secure connections. I am now 100% home office with a four legged "helper".

See helper's "action photo" below ZZZzzz....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StephenVA; 06-04-2020 at 09:30 AM.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Well, as I was typing this all up, Jim came in with his warning. Since it's already typed up, I'm posting it anyway. Sorry Jim!

Ok Snotty, You want to play the opinion and justification game? I'm your Huckleberry! But like I said, Jim probably won't like the pages and pages off-topic that's to come. Let's break it down:

First of all, the name is not Scotty. Second, I did address op’s question by suggesting he should buy new grills rather than booger up his car like you suggested for him to do. Ok, I’ll admit, I didn’t have to call you guys a bunch of hacks, but that’s what It was, pure hackery. All I was arguing for was that these cars deserve better.
    Is that what you first said? Absolutely not! You used a bunch of F words calling out OP as cheap....and you know the rest. What that a suggestion? No. That was a clear attack and violation of the forum rules for which you've been called out numerous times for in other threads. Is this your car or OP's car? Sure, it's your opinion but saying they're a hack already turns them off. I've been around long enough to know that at this stage where the cars can be bought for $500 like you have don't always mean they have the deepest pockets. Especially in current situations where people are without jobs and trying to put food on the table rather than worry about a $100 grill set. How do you know who reported your clear violation of forum rules? Did Jim tell you after removing that? Why are you pointing the finger at me?

You suggest that others watch a video which you posted, some dude using a JB Weld epoxy hotdog, I drew my line.
    Did I suggest directly to you? No. I replied to OP directly quoting him and stating yeah your RTV will work giving the 1st video that came up under a Google for "E39 Kidney" came up with video? He said "Exactamundo, except with RTV. I hate broken nubbins. "

IMHO, that is a means of "thank you" to me. Again why do you draw the line? It's not your car? Are you buying the car after OP is done with it? Is everyone that comes across my video in reply directly to OP going to take my suggestion? Maybe, maybe no. Will I or you? No. Everyone will and shall make their own decision based on their own sense of ownership, budgets and love for THEIR CAR. But does that mean your opinion of that video gives you the right to draw a line on someone else's car even if you are an enthusiast? This would be a whole different discussion if you started out with saying "Dude, these cars deserve better, you're doing a disservice to it by RTVing it. I have a free set of China Made that I could send to you if you budget is tight at the moment. They may not fit but maybe you can try to use the frames instead" But instead you went off on your curse tantrum. Not the 1st time and doubt it will be the last time.

It's like when you post that you recently lost your job and someone came along and said "You *&*(&, you're mind runs at 150MPH, you can't stay focused, no wonder you lost your job, you deserve it Snott!" How would you feel and would you even bother reading the rest of the poster's post? Doubt it.

Hell, you even suggested that I should stop posting on it or what? Jim would be called again by you? What am I doing? I’m posting my opinions, just like you are. You’ve accused me of hogging up the thread, funny, you’re doing so too, I’m not threatening to press the report button, nothing wrong with that. Op? I think we are way past the grills, it’s either you booger it up with stupid hackjob fixes, or you replace them. What’s so hard about that?
    Did I say stop posting? I said let it be. Meaning, it's not the 1st time you went on your rant, or opinion or curse tantrum and certainly won't be the last. Write a much as you want or hog up as much as you want. Maybe OP will find out the hard way that RTV won't work or he'll get a new one when he feels the need to. It's his car to do with it as he pleases. We both know depending on Jim's or a mod's personal view of all this back and forth may eventually be removed because it has nothing to do with kidney grills. I was simply trying to keep it from snowballing into this exact banter that may eventually be removed

Great that you have a bromance with your buddy. I just took a crap, had a cup of coffee, said goodbye to my one night stand after 3 hrs of sex, and drinking the coffee she made before she left. Now watching TV to catch up on the protests and market but what does that have anything to do with anything. Is any of this relevant to this post? You know there is a lounge here where you can talk about anything and everything without derailing these E39 threads, right? Again, normally I couldn't give a crap but given all the banter which just creates more banter and the fact Jim has repeatedly given you warnings, removed quite a few posts and you've had to ask if you've crossed any lines after certain posts means many are NOT opinions but attacks and/or in violation of forum rules. Let's be honest, that's even after all the slack he cuts you for you being you.

You were actually the one that was harping on everything being Chinese. My argument on that statement was, Don’t want Chinese parts? Don’t buy Chinese parts. You brought up Lemforders failures, BehrHellas expansion bottle failures, I apologize, I believe I said Meyle’s bobber failures, look it up, their float bobbers are known to get stuck telling you your coolant level is low. It’s not useless knowledge. Hopefully some others that were about to order the stuff see this and do more research before a purchase.
    Was I harping on that? I was directly to StephenVA stating that buying new grills may be made in China these days like many other OEM part. Then, as usual, you inserted yourself about "You will only get cheap Chinese made ones if you buy cheap Chinese made ones.....". then off tangent on E28, with S52, S54 drop-ins. I'm the 1st to admit I'm not caring for my car as much as I used to. I used to wash and wax my 540, once a month. Now it's once a year. At least I'm clear enough to realize it may be better off with someone else who may be able to drive it more. Very few people stay in love for their car for a lifetime. I've had it for nearly 18 years now and realize it's time to move on as there are plenty of other great cars out there.

Rest of your rant needs no discussion as far as I'm concerned; I knew of those tips way before you even joined this forum and was posting those same tips way before to other members and if you think your tips buried in 2 long off topic posts, I'd say 1 out of 100 readers will come across that gem of a tip. But I will end this by saying I find it funny when one poster decides to RTV their kidney grill it's a hack but when someone wants to drop a S52, S54 into an E28 with Euro bumpers and headlights it's not. Or maybe it is but an acceptable hack. Guess as long as it's not Made in China, you're okay with it LOL.

Want to keep going on opinions and justification and who's thin skinned? Ready and waiting.
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 06-04-2020 at 09:23 AM.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Ok, everybody feel better now? hahahaha Jim where U be?

Meanwhile, the OP has super glued his grill and is happy...
    Last edited by StephenVA; 06-04-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ahhhh, geeez..... You're not the only one that's owned these E39's for 18 years. It's been a lifetime for me too, same amount of time in fact. I only signed up on the forum when I did, to try stopping people who've bought these cars at rock bottom prices, doing all kinds of stupid hacks, goal was to try keeping the cars honest and true, not be all butchered up. Because I do buy these cars quite a bit, I've flipped a bunch of them, and all the ones I've done, always turned out for the better. It wasn't about the money, it was about extending the life of the car. Like rescuing a dog from an owner that wasn't taking care of him and getting him back on his feet. I actually prescreened the buyers and only sold the cars to people I knew were gonna be able to properly take care of them. But I can see this conversation will never end, I can go on and on, and obviously, so will you. Jim asked for stoppage, so this is it, Snotty sort of giving up, and Snotty OUT. Op is still welcome to the free set of flat black trimmed grills if he wants them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast