Thread: PSA re the C33 headunit - bonus picture freshly detailed dakar convertible

My Cars
    1998 m3 convertible

PSA re the C33 headunit - bonus picture freshly detailed dakar convertible

If you still have a C33, upgrading to the C43/CD43 is a substantial upgrade.

No idea how many people still have a C33 headunit installed - my 98 came with one as the OE unit. I upgraded last year to BavAuto Stage 1 last year because I had a couple dry rotted tweeters that needed to be replaced. I wasn't particularly impressed with the upgrade, still muddy sounding, with little detail or staging.

Then last week the volume button on my C33 crapped out. I began reading about headunit replacement options and read a post where a BMW engineer noted the C33 output voltage had been necessarily limited to address an engine noise issue. The C43/CD43 weren't limited in that way. I found a C43 cheap, slid it in, and sure enough, the sound was dramatically improved. The BavAuto speakers really sound great now.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...069-C43-vs-C33

Just wanted to share that info again if anyone is still stuck with the C33.

Also, here's my car after a single stage polish and application of sealant. The paint had been bare and dull, the cleaning up the marred clear coat and coating it really creates depth and shows a much deeper color coat then I realized was there.

unknown.jpg
    Last edited by nye36m3vert; 06-01-2020 at 09:41 PM.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    It's still crap. yep it's better than a C33, but really, just buy an Alpine 149BT and call it a day. It looks fine. No it doesn't look "factory", but so what. it's not bad looking, or Tokyo at night crazy... I'll keep that stock unit to give to the next owner. (ok, what next owner, I've owned the car 25 years, and will probably never sell it..) Ok, the wife can bury the stock head unit in the car with me when I go...
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by nye36m3vert View Post
    Looks great, very shiny!! Nice work. Awesome garage too...

Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Tokyo at night crazy...
    Hahaha the perfect description of some aftermarket head units.
    Last edited by Carpy2; 06-02-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Slightly off topic, is there a modern head unit out there which fits, doesn't look awful, and has features like bluetooth and so forth?
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Slightly off topic, is there a modern head unit out there which fits, doesn't look awful, and has features like bluetooth and so forth?
    I believe continental makes a pretty decent unit

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vdo-part...xoCedkQAvD_BwE

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Like I said, buy an Alpine CDE149BT.. Everything you need. Bt, BT streaming, Ipod control, Pandora, USB, HD radio, CD's, sounds great. looks fine. About $230. It's discontinued, but there are still new units available. All in a single DIN .

My Cars
    '10 E90 M3
    Like I said, buy an Alpine CDE149BT.. Everything you need. Bt, BT streaming, Ipod control, Pandora, USB, HD radio, CD's, sounds great. looks fine. About $230. It's discontinued, but there are still new units available. All in a single DIN .
    Seconded. Obviously not OEM looking, but isn't tacky as hell like 99% of aftermarket decks. Has all of the modern functions and amber backlighting, which is 100% must have IMO.
    Current Whips: 10 E90 ///M3 - 04 GMC Sierra CCSB - 19 VW Atlas

Past BMW's:
    85 325 - 87 325is M-Tech 1 - 91 318is S50 swapped - 91 318i 'vert
    97 M3/2 - 98 M3/4/5 (Alpine/Modena) - 98 M3/2 - 98 M3/4 (Dakar)
    06 330xi - 09 335i

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Third, except I have a CDE-154BT. The AUX and USB ports are in the back so there isn't any cords flopping around. I also have a 3-spoke wheel with working radio MFL controls so I hardly even have to touch the radio its self.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    I bought this bluetooth adapter which fools the radio's CD changer into bluetooth functionality. Plug n Play. Mounted it behind the sunglass holder with double sided tape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-M...72.m2749.l2648

My Cars
    1998 m3 convertible
    It's still crap. yep it's better than a C33, but really, just buy an Alpine 149BT and call it a day. It looks fine. No it doesn't look "factory", but so what. it's not bad looking, or Tokyo at night crazy... I'll keep that stock unit to give to the next owner. (ok, what next owner, I've owned the car 25 years, and will probably never sell it..) Ok, the wife can bury the stock head unit in the car with me when I go...
    First, I have to say I disagree. I have an Audi with B&O and have had L7 systems in my E90 and E92, and I think the BavAuto Stage 1 with the HK amps and the C34 is not as good as either system, but it compares favorably. That said, I know a more powerful aftermarket unit would push the speakers harder...but where it is now, I'm entirely satisfied and get the added bonus (to me) of the OEM look.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpy2 View Post
    Looks great, very shiny!! Nice work. Awesome garage too...
    Thanks...not my garage unfortunately

If I were to ever consider aftermarket, these were the only 2 that seemed to fit the bill of aftermarket features and OE look - also both very hard to find:

Clarion FZ102E
    Becker BE2450
    Last edited by nye36m3vert; 06-02-2020 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Ah, ok. Looks like the Alpine CDE149BT is the way to go. It's got full Pandora functionality on the faceplate which is what I want. Too bad it's not orange instead of blue.

It looks like availability might be a bit sketchy. Do any of the newer models like the 172BT also work, or is the 149BT the one to get?
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    What do I know? I ripped the stock stereo out of my car two weeks after taking delivery of it 25 years ago...lol

current iteration Is the 149 HU, AudioControls DQX processor, a pair of Alpine V12 amps, JL Audio Stealthboxes, and BSW Rainbow speakers...

The best HUs I’ve had by category.
    Radio: Blaupunkt MP72 Seattle very strong reception.
    CD section, and overall look, Nakamichi CD7, looked great, simply superb CD playback, horrible radio, CD eject broke..
    Alpine 9887 was close to both, but no BT or iPod.
    but overall, the HD149bt really is excellent.

oh, and Blaupunkt Has a new Hu that looks damn cool. Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB

Last edited by RRSperry; 06-02-2020 at 09:19 PM.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    The 172 isn’t nearly as good. If you can get a 149, do it. You can add an orange filter for the main display. The buttons can be set to orange.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Yes, but perhaps at a price you wouldn't want to pay: https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/c...sqr-46-dab-bt/

Interestingly, Porsche have recently introduced the PCCM, a modern touchscreen single-DIN head unit designed explicitly for retrofitting to classic Porsche models:
    https://www.porsche.com/internationa...ghlights/pccm/
    It even includes Apple CarPlay. Of course its list price is just over $1500...

Neil

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Beat you to it Neil. (on the new blau)