Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Locking Lug "Key"

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325 Convertible

Locking Lug "Key"

Hi All - new here. Just picked up an old 3 series convertible, but I have been a long time BMW owner. I need some help- finding the "key" for the locking lug bolt. I ordered one online that seems to be the only pattern I can find for the year and model I have, but it's not the right one. I will post a photo in here of mine. I desperately need new tires - one is flat currently in my garage in fact. It is a 2001 325ci convertible. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Strange... I spent a while googling for this type of bolt head as I've never seen a 9 splined female bolt head before. Triple square is 12 points, spider drives are 8 points, polydrive (ribe) are 6, and there are a few 10 points... It wouldn't be surprising if this was an unique design to minimize the chances someone has the key for it. It looks very similar to ECS's Wheel Locks, except yours is female. This is the only 9-point male drive I can find, but I don't know what size you need, but it's the only 9 point socket in the list available. Apparently some older Audis/VWs used a 9 point female lug bolt, but I'm not entirely sure. But what's even more weird is this can't be an Audi/VW locking lug bolt that someone just repurposed onto your car, because Audi/VW threads are M14x1.5, whereas BMWs up until recently are M12x1.5. The same male side (key) could potentially be used for both, however, I have no clue. Sorry that's not a lot of help, it's just interesting to me how strange it is lol.

You could try a Torx bit and see if it can catch the splines well enough to get it off.
    Last edited by Carpy2; 06-02-2020 at 10:58 PM.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Obviously you want to get rid of all of these lug bolts. Why not go to a home improvement store and buy bolts that’ll require some force (aka hammer) to reach the bottom and then flood it with epoxy. Let the epoxy set overnight and then unbolt it.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    There are tools made specifically for removing locking lug bolts but good ones are fairly expensive. A method that often works for me is to find a 12 pt socket that almost will fit over the bolt and hammer the bejeezus out of it onto the lug bolt. Unless the bolt was over tightened to begin with this will usually provide enough grip to remove it.
    Consider that socket sacrificial.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    How about a reverse thread drill bit. Start with a small pilot whole
    and increase the size until you can get a big reverse thread bit to fit. I recently got a broken motor mount bolt out of my Harley/Buell --Shops wanted hundreds but twenty minutes of drilling and it was out.

My Cars
    2014 428i
    Had a similar problem with my 428i and BMW lock nuts, bought a new key for $50 and the bolts were on so tight it stripped the key. My mechanic had to weld nuts on top of the keys and take em out. $30/wheel.