Thread: S54 Radiator in S52

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

S54 Radiator in S52

Cooling refresh time. Did the RF subframe fix last year so how bad can this be? I have a plan and I have been searching the forums but I have a few questions I cannot find answers to. Have a full parts list. Will do fan delete. Seems like I should go with the S54 rad in my 2000 s52. Don't talk to me about Zionsville, I have 5 kids . So, here are the things I can't find answers to: The S54 rad is shorter than the S52 to allow room for an oil cooler, right. So if you don't implement the oil cooler, you need to block off the open area to keep airflow through the radiator. I have seen options from a special fan shroud to just a piece of aluminum sheet to fill the gap. Are both of these options viable? And speaking of fan shrouds, do I even need one if I do a fan delete. It seems I only need the existing pusher fan (that will work with my new S54 radiator, right?) so why would I need a shroud on the engine side of the radiator? Lastly, what other bits do I need to replace? Does my existing radiator mounting hardware work or do I have other considerations here? And what about hoses, any changes necessary from S52.
    Sorry guys. I have been searching and reading for hours. I am close to a solution but it is time to try the easy button. Your considerate assistance is appreciated.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Unless you are retrofitting an S54 oil cooler, there is no real advantage to swapping in an S54 radiator. I have done the conversion myself, because I did retrofit an oil cooler, so I have some experience with it. The S54 radiator does not have more cores, it is just a little thicker because it is shorter to accommodate the oil cooler--in the end it has the same cooling area. If you keep the shroud it needs modified--no big deal but something to be aware of. It is the oil cooler that makes the difference, not the radiator, between the S54 and S52 set up. I ultimately swapped out the S54 radiator for a Zionsville which made a marked difference. As to the fan delete, I wouldn't do that without replacing it with a shrouded puller--the auxiliary pusher is insufficient on its own. A shroud is an essential element to the system when properly mated to a puller fan--it is useless with a pusher only, but that is not a reason to remove it--it is a reason to replace the puller and shroud.
    Last edited by Mr Bingley; 06-01-2020 at 06:48 AM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Everything Ralph says, plus ...

Unless you devise an alternate setup for your reservoir, you need to keep the fan shroud to support the OE, or any reservoir based on the OE mounting configuration.

If you're not adding an oil cooler, I'd stick with the S52 radiator, as Ralph says.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Just the two gents I was hoping to hear from.
    Randy, my decision was partly based on a post of yours from '13 that included your S52 refresh parts list plus a few other sources that list the S54 as an upgrade without the oil cooler. But the above makes sense to me.
    Ralph - I've read a ton of your posts and your complete setup is what I would like to end up with someday. But there is some (a lot of) uncertainty as if that will ever happen and I just need to get this refresh done now as reasonably priced as possible. This surgery will also include vanos rebuild, plugs and coils.
    Anyway, thanks, gents. The shopping list is nearing completion.

My Cars
    z3
    E36 guys swear up and down the S54 Z3 is an upgrade because its 3 core even though it has less surface area

Is it not even actually 3 core?

Although in Colorado im sure youd be fine with a mechanical fan delete... The shroud holds your expansion tank though so may not want to delete that. Lower temp fan switch usually helps
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 06-01-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Regarding the shroud as the holder of the expansion tank: I switched to a later stock Z3 expansion tank, that mounts just behind the D.S. shock tower. It is such a cleaner set up. Gets that big ugly tank off the side of the radiator, which has got to help with airflow through the radiator in that area. It's cheap too.

My Cars
    '00 Z3M, '06 Z4M
    Well, you've got the responses from 2 of the most knowledgeable guys here. Personally I went with an S54 radiator for 2 reasons. 1. It was $50 cheaper than the S52 one. 2. I plan on installing an oil cooler because the car is going to be tracked. I cut out a blank block off plate from a sheet of ABS that I had laying around to cover the gap. The gap itself is actually pretty narrow. Here's a list of parts that I replaced (it is largely based on the list that Randy posted here a while ago):

(I'm not sure I would replace the hose clamps, but they were really cheap.)

Annotation 2020-06-01 155233.jpg
    Last edited by Andryuha; 06-01-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Check out my M Roadster projects and DIYs:
    Cooling system part 1: https://youtu.be/ERqztIL1DPw
    Cooling system part 2: https://youtu.be/-DnclDkn2hI
    Power convertible top: https://youtu.be/KLYNqkCBh_M
    Head unit removal: https://youtu.be/LKe9fPKrAqE

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    E36 guys swear up and down the S54 Z3 is an upgrade because its 3 core even though it has less surface area

Is it not even actually 3 core?

Although in Colorado im sure youd be fine with a mechanical fan delete... The shroud holds your expansion tank though so may not want to delete that. Lower temp fan switch usually helps
    There's three tubes, but for years, people mistakenly called them a dual pass. Water only flows from right to left, single pass. I had to cut one open__well, a deer started it, I just finished it...

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I've seen aftermarket S54's that are two cores. BimmerBum Ed sent me a pic of one that was a single row. But it doesn't matter whether it's one or five in this case. The tubes are in a single line.The whole point of multi-row radiators is to stagger the tubes so each is exposed to the airstream. These have the tubes hiding behind each other. These aren't multi-row radiators. They are a single really fat row with either one or two support dividers. Or zero.

Graham, the E36 guys really believe bolting on M-Pars makes a 318 much faster.

/.randy

My Cars
    z3
    Thanks Randys, that makes total sense

Sadly true on the E36 comment too I left the local E36 group because I got sick of seeing all the silly stuff they do. Catch cans are not better than CCV's...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gautier View Post
    Just the two gents I was hoping to hear from.
    Randy, my decision was partly based on a post of yours from '13 that included your S52 refresh parts list plus a few other sources that list the S54 as an upgrade without the oil cooler. But the above makes sense to me.
    Ralph - I've read a ton of your posts and your complete setup is what I would like to end up with someday. But there is some (a lot of) uncertainty as if that will ever happen and I just need to get this refresh done now as reasonably priced as possible. This surgery will also include vanos rebuild, plugs and coils.
    Anyway, thanks, gents. The shopping list is nearing completion.
    I'm guessing the vanos rebuild makes a huge difference. FWIW, on the S52, the Airlift II vacuum cooling system filler works flawlessly. Link. Totally worth the $94 not to have to worry about whether there is air in the system.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Thanks again all for the info. Andryuha - your list looks remarkably similar to mine. Appreciate the confirmation. I hadn't worked out the hose clamps yet so you saved me a bit of searching. Parts ordered. New thread forthcoming...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    I'm guessing the vanos rebuild makes a huge difference. FWIW, on the S52, the Airlift II vacuum cooling system filler works flawlessly. Link. Totally worth the $94 not to have to worry about whether there is air in the system.
    I was just about to go back and find the thread where you had mentioned that. More time saved. Thanks!

Before I start another thread, any ideas where I can rent the cam timing tool set for the vanos build. The link on Beisan's site is dead. BTW - also recall you said the Vanos was the best upgrade you did. Anxious to see what my car used to feel like.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Well, if you have time to wait for me to go dig them out, I have lent them to others on trust for the cost of shipping them back. It could take me a week or so to get to it if that works for you. Shoot me your address and stuff via PM unless you can't wait. I put a kit together for the Job with all the tools needed (which I can't remember every little thing that includes now--but I do remember that it's complete), including the instructions. All I ask is that you treat them like they are your own and ship them back when you're done (and that you get to the job in a reasonable time--yes I'm pointing at you Bimmerbreaker).

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Much appreciated, Ralph but I pulled the trigger on a kit this morning. You've been a great help - more than you realize and I am happy not to impose further. When I am done with this kit, I'll figure out a way to pay it forward. Best...

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gautier View Post
    Much appreciated, Ralph but I pulled the trigger on a kit this morning. You've been a great help - more than you realize and I am happy not to impose further. When I am done with this kit, I'll figure out a way to pay it forward. Best...
    I'll help defer some of your costs once you're done. I've had my VANOS rebuild parts on a shelf for far too long. And since it's 110 in Phoenix, now's a good time to sweat off some weight in the garage.

Tony
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    It’s a question of when everything arrives here, Tony but I’m figuring 2 to 3 weeks. I’ll post back or PM when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by ProductUser View Post
    I'll help defer some of your costs once you're done. I've had my VANOS rebuild parts on a shelf for far too long. And since it's 110 in Phoenix, now's a good time to sweat off some weight in the garage.

Tony
    Ive got the tools in hand at my shop in Mesa already if you need em

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Ive got the tools in hand at my shop in Mesa already if you need em
    Much appreciated!
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."