Thread: UUC Evo3 Shifter Off Center Issue

My Cars
    1987 325i Convert

UUC Evo3 Shifter Off Center Issue

Just installed the UUC EVO3 SSK + DSSR on a 98 M3 and went for a test drive. The DSSR is the 198mm version. I also changed the selector joint. One thing that I noticed off the bat and also when I tested it prior to buttoning everything up underneath was that the shifter alignment was offset, it wasn't exactly dead center of the console like how the stock shifter was. During my drive, it did require harder shifts to get into gear and sometimes it didn't feel as smooth as it was with the stock shifter. at times, it was fairly notchy. I am hoping that it will smooth out over time.

My concern is the alignment of the shifter. It wasn't dead center longitudinally, but it was latitudinally. If I had to compare with stock, center was where the 5th gear would be when stock. But when it is off centered, I can move it up or down and it's aligned well with 3rd and 4th gear. This tells me that it seems correct. When I move it to the left right before I hit reverse detent, that's when it's dead center.

Is it normal to be offset?

My car does suffer occasionally from 5th gear lean. The car has 52k miles but it's 22 years old, as far as the smoother shifting, maybe the shift pins, bushings, and detents are ready to be changed?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The shifter could be backwards or the DSSR could be upside down. Nothing you can do about 5th gear lean other than replace the detents. The mileage is it determinative; not driving cars can cause as many problems as driving them. Might as well enjoy it rather than try to save it for the next owner.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Pull up the boot, and take the insulation out, and take a pic. Is the entire cup offset or just the shift lever?

If it were me, I'd take out the DSSR and put in the stock selector rod, and see. About the only thing that could move the lever over is the incorrect shifter carrier, or you put the DSSR in the wrong way (if that's even possible)?
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1987 325i Convert
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    The shifter could be backwards or the DSSR could be upside down. Nothing you can do about 5th gear lean other than replace the detents. The mileage is it determinative; not driving cars can cause as many problems as driving them. Might as well enjoy it rather than try to save it for the next owner.
    I put the shifter in with the bolt head towards the front per the the instructions. The DSSR is symmetrical (if I remember correctly), so I don't think it matters if it's upside down. When I took out the stock selector rod, I was surprised to see it have an upward bend while the DSSR was dead straight.

Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Pull up the boot, and take the insulation out, and take a pic. Is the entire cup offset or just the shift lever?

If it were me, I'd take out the DSSR and put in the stock selector rod, and see. About the only thing that could move the lever over is the incorrect shifter carrier, or you put the DSSR in the wrong way (if that's even possible)?
    I'll take some pictures tonight. It's still possible to use the stock selector rod with the EVO3? I guess that would make sense to determine whether if it sits where it should compared to the DSSR….

My Cars
    1987 325i Convert
    Here are the links to the photos.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...llYjFJRTlXMUdn
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ZiSm5weEdJZHl3
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...IxODB0NzI3Z3ln

Here is a video of the shifting.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JkbGZoZHk4UmZR

I took a drive with the boot off and it seemed smoother to me an easier to shift, so maybe a replacement boot will help.
    Last edited by dcwang3; 06-01-2020 at 08:05 PM.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    As Guy Fleegman in Galaxy Quest said... "Ohhhh, That ain't right..."

Did it lean like that before the install? Now, I don't know about the gear lean first hand, the ZF S5D-310Z's in the 95's don't seem to have that problem like the 320's. But, reading a lot of threads about it, people seem to say that the stick leans at rest, but centers pretty easily and it doesn't effect putting it into gear.

Yes the shifting is more effort and notchy. (I thought it was not notchy, but more machine like, like the action of a rifle bolt.) All short shifters are more effort, you are reducing leverage in exchange for a shorter throw.

My question is how did you install the selector joint with the trans in the car?..lol You must have very small hands.
    Last edited by RRSperry; 06-02-2020 at 07:32 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Good point about the selector shaft coupler. Maybe a new one would be a little tighter and hold the shifter more in the middle. But the detent bushings in the trans are what center the trans output to the coupler. You may have to pull the trans and change them. It’s fun; I have done it about 4 times.

My Cars
    1987 325i Convert
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    As Guy Fleegman in Galaxy Quest said... "Ohhhh, That ain't right..."

Did it lean like that before the install? Now, I don't know about the gear lean first hand, the ZF S5D-310Z's in the 95's don't seem to have that problem like the 320's. But, reading a lot of threads about it, people seem to say that the stick leans at rest, but centers pretty easily and it doesn't effect putting it into gear.

Yes the shifting is more effort and notchy. (I thought it was not notchy, but more machine like, like the action of a rifle bolt.) All short shifters are more effort, you are reducing leverage in exchange for a shorter throw.

My question is how did you install the selector joint with the trans in the car?..lol You must have very small hands.
    The stock shifter did not lean like that typically. When the fifth gear did get stuck, it would lean like that. But from what I could tell with the UUC shifter, it seemed like it was "dead" center" as it should since it was aligned with 3rd and 4th gear. The question now becomes what is causing that lean even though it's technically "centered"…

The selector joint was a pain in the ass. Getting the retainer clip off was tough. Then getting the new joint pressed in with the pin was insanely tough, required a lot of force since the spongy material inside was so new.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Good point about the selector shaft coupler. Maybe a new one would be a little tighter and hold the shifter more in the middle. But the detent bushings in the trans are what center the trans output to the coupler. You may have to pull the trans and change them. It’s fun; I have done it about 4 times.
    As you can see from the video, when I push it over to the left to physically center the lever, it's right at 1st gear and before hitting the reverse detent. So it's quite a decent amount of movement. I'm wondering whether the detent is really the cause for this? It seems like the lever is angled incorrectly, especially if the stock lever was center in the console. The instruction says that it bends backwards and to the right. I assume if the shifter bottom is straight up and down, it is backwards but it's to the right (as shown in the picture). What do you think?

This weekend I am planning on getting under the car to see the length of the DSSR compared to the stock selector rod. Maybe very hard to change it without taking the exhaust and driveshaft (which I don't plan on taking off)…

I sent the pictures to UUC to see what they say
    Last edited by dcwang3; 06-02-2020 at 07:41 PM.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Yeah, from what I’ve seen, that looks like a detent problem, maybe someone with direct experience will weigh in.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I had the UUC EVO3 with DSSR for about 10 years and don’t recall it leaning over, but I did redo the detents on my 3 ZF320 (turbo S52 broke a couple). I did have the 5th gear lean on my original trans, which led me to do the detents the first time.

My Cars
    Porsche 993
    The problem might not be all detent related since I also have a right lean after I did the detents and autoslutions SSK at the same time. The lean is certainly not as dramatic as yours but definitely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1987 325i Convert
    I talked to UUC on the phone about this. Shout out to Jay from UUC. He explained to me that it is normal if there is slop inside the transmission. Since all the bushings and selector rod joint was replaced, there isn't anything external that would cause it to lean so that would lead everything to be internal that connects to the actual shaft thus aligning to the selector joint —> DSSR —> shifter. He said depending on the mileage and type of transmission, it is common to see it lean from center. The shift pins and detent wouldn't be a factor in this case. Depending on the amount of internal slop, it would translate into a big shifter offset due to the "short shift" concept.

Just think about your hand movement relative to your elbow when you arm wrestle. If you change the angle of your arm 'X' degrees, the arc distance that your hand (top of the shifter) creates is much larger than what is seen by your elbow (ball of the shifter) or slightly above/below your elbow. So a small amount of play at the DSSR connection could possibly translate into significant play at the top.

UUC has offered to take the shifter back and bend it to make it more center. It's nice that they do this for no extra charge, but unfortunately, if I ever decide to sell it (low possibility), that it may not align well with the next transmission.

I was pretty convinced it seemed normal because moving the shifter directly up is in align with 3rd gear, but wanted confirmation.

Once I get the shifter back and installed, I'll post up pics to see if there is any improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miclin View Post
    The problem might not be all detent related since I also have a right lean after I did the detents and autoslutions SSK at the same time. The lean is certainly not as dramatic as yours but definitely noticeable.
    does the auto solutions SSK have the same amount of reduction as the UUC? I have seen videos (not of the e36 M3), but other BMWs and it still looks fairly long throw but slightly less than stock?

My Cars
    Porsche 993
    I opted for 35% throw reduction kit from autosolutions. It is definitely ‘notchy’ and precise but I also did the detents at the same time. The ‘notchiness’ gets better and smoother over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1988 325 Super ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by dcwang3 View Post
    I talked to UUC on the phone about this. Shout out to Jay from UUC. He explained to me that it is normal if there is slop inside the transmission. Since all the bushings and selector rod joint was replaced, there isn't anything external that would cause it to lean so that would lead everything to be internal that connects to the actual shaft thus aligning to the selector joint —> DSSR —> shifter. He said depending on the mileage and type of transmission, it is common to see it lean from center. The shift pins and detent wouldn't be a factor in this case. Depending on the amount of internal slop, it would translate into a big shifter offset due to the "short shift" concept.

Just think about your hand movement relative to your elbow when you arm wrestle. If you change the angle of your arm 'X' degrees, the arc distance that your hand (top of the shifter) creates is much larger than what is seen by your elbow (ball of the shifter) or slightly above/below your elbow. So a small amount of play at the DSSR connection could possibly translate into significant play at the top.

UUC has offered to take the shifter back and bend it to make it more center. It's nice that they do this for no extra charge, but unfortunately, if I ever decide to sell it (low possibility), that it may not align well with the next transmission.

I was pretty convinced it seemed normal because moving the shifter directly up is in align with 3rd gear, but wanted confirmation.

Once I get the shifter back and installed, I'll post up pics to see if there is any improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

does the auto solutions SSK have the same amount of reduction as the UUC? I have seen videos (not of the e36 M3), but other BMWs and it still looks fairly long throw but slightly less than stock?
    Sorry for the thread revival but I’d like to get to the bottom of this. I also installed a UUC evo 3 short shifter and ever since it looks offset to the right. I don’t trust what UUC says in this case. Because slop is slop, and this isn’t a slop issue. I have no slop, everything is tight and everything but my transmission has been replaced. It also doesn’t explain why it wasn’t like this before. I also have a DSSR which if I recall is also totally straight. I really don’t know if I should blame the shifter or the DSSR. I was really hoping to find others with this issue but I haven’t seen any solutions. Everyone just wants to talk about the spring detent, even when the shifter is perfectly centered with 3rd gear.