Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 6 month Build Project with Randy Forbes

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr

My 6 month Build Project with Randy Forbes

This thread is to document the lengthy build project of my M Roadster which was a mix of restoration and modifications.

Back story:

I bought the car near stock in 9/09. The big appeal was a reinforced subframe by Mr. M Car in NJ. It also came with BBS LMs, in my opinion about as perfect as a wheel gets. I drove it for a year and did some light NA mods like Turner Shorty headers and M50 manifold swap. This setup did 220whp on MaxPsi's SuperFlo dyno.

In 2011 I supercharged it with a cheap USED RMS/Dinan stage 2. I bought a second hand DME with a crap AA tune from someone on the forum and on the same MaxPSI dyno made 367whp @13psi. Around 2014 I had a CES cutring gasket(stock compression) Vibrant cats and a Nick G tune installed. I learned I was a bit maxed out on pump gas due to stock compression and on a hot day made about 388whp/317tq @11.5psi.

So for years, no changes aside from 996 911 Brembos. My stock ORIGINAL clutch mostly held up fine and had only recently started slipping under boost at the top of 3rd.

In 2016 I acquired an dealer reman. E46 420 6mt gearbox. The plan was to install it with a friend. Every year it got punted. After three years of delays I started talking to Randy in late 2019. It snow balled from there.

The plan was to drive my car from Michigan to Florida. Randy was going to swap the 6mt. I also wanted him to pull the Vortech to send out for rebuild and upgrades. I also had a laundry list of small things. I wanted my e-brake functioning again with the E46 shoe kit I had on hand, door handle gaskets swapped out, hardtop adjusted, small stuff like that.

I dropped off the car around Christmas, about 6 months ago.

Right off the bat things became more expensive than intended. Doesn't that always happen?

A quick inspection of my subframe showed the Mr M Car fix was not good enough. Randy said he would do a full inspection and let me know. I was not thrilled by starting off the build a few grand higher than expected.

Randy started the project in early January by pulling, boxing up and sending out the blower to Jon Bond Performance.

I had the euro E36 trans mount, the E46 flywheel, 6mt ZHP knob, and Southbend stage2 clutch on hand. So it was just a matter of modifying the shift fork/lever and shorten the driveshaft.
    He pulled the stock box and there was a lot of oil everywhere from the original rear main seal.

Here is the installed 6mt.

Sure enough the previous subframe repair was not up to snuff. There are various pictures in the main album.

So Randy did his usual great job.

While he was there I had him take off the Butt strut, frame braces and install IreLand Engineering bushings I had laying around. I sold the Butt Strut and Randy has the frame braces that someone can beg him for.

Randy also fixed my leaking power steering lines and installed all the correct undertrays and my chewed up fender liners up front were replaced with new ones I had provided.
    [img][/img]

I wanted my car setup to run E85. I gave Randy a bunch of goodies to install. I had him put in an Aeromotive adj. fuel pressure regulator which he added a gauge to.

He also put in a Walbro 485lph kit I got from Rally Road.

Along with the tuning, I sent him an APE FlexFuel Module. This way I can run anything from pump gas to ANY mix of E85.

In March the blower was back.

When I dropped the car off with Randy I had kept the LMs to have them refurbed in PA. I wanted something a bit more aggressive than the Super Sports I had before. So I sent Randy a new set of Cup 2's, this time with 295s out back.

Right about now in late March, early April I got greedy. My goal was 500whp on E85. But what if I could hit it on pump gas? The stock compression was standing in my way. The engine only had 90k and I didn't want to build the motor yet. Adding the CES gasket spacer to my cut ring would drop me to 9:1 compression. CES let me keep the rings and they sent just the gasket and spacer. Randy got to work on sending out the head for light machine work.

Here is the head back from the machine shop.

New gasket and spacer, ready for the head to go on.

Buttoning up. He also did a stage 1 vanos rebuild while he was there.

My previous intake setup made the headlight fitment pretty poor. The new MAF from 22RPD made things worse.

Randy had to take some time and source different elbows and filters to get something to fit.

Oh look, mid-late April my refurbed LMs showed up from PA.

For cooling I had given Randy a RallyRoad oil filter cooler cap. I bought a nice Setrab oil cooler. Randy whipped up the lines.

This shows how off my hardtop fitment has been for over a decade.

Missing hardware as the culprit.

Much better.

Around this same time my buddy was building a motor for his Mr2. On the test flight it wound up on fire. He had an extinguisher and so it was $50 in damage and running in a day. This inspired me to ask Randy to make an underseat mount.

Around this time the car was running and the loading of the 22RPD didn't go as planned. The DME wound up bricked and was sent to the west coast to be fixed and have the software loaded in person. This was getting close to the pickup window.

I threw in another last minute thing. My car had been rear ended before my time. The bumper gaps were TERRIBLE. I looked into bumper absorbers which were $500 a set. I got a used set off eBay for $35 and they arrived quick enough to Randy.

With only days until delivery, things got hectic. My car has run hot for awhile. I was hoping all the fixes like a new thermostat would help. But we learned the Setrab blocked too much of the radiator. We also think the Mishimoto radiator wasn't THAT efficient. So last minute we ordered an S54 rad and S54 oil cooler. These arrived Thursday/Friday May 21/22. Did I mention I was on my way from MI to TN on Friday the 22nd to grab the car that weekend? Cutting it close.

Randy got everything in. Comically along the way an AC hardline broke and was on backorder so Randy welded it so we were back in business.

Car ran MUCH cooler. Randy thought it could be better, maybe the Spal fan wasn't enough. He had another Spal on hand to try running on the A side of the rad. So we gave that a go.

I wound up taking deliver of the car Monday 5/25.

The second I got in the car it was POURING rain.

Randy had told me the first time I go to the 2-3 shift I am going to miss. He was right. 3rd was a fair bit over from where it was stock. The clutch had a VERY strong return spring kick at the end of the travel. So much to get used to. The car was untuned, riding on it's base map. It was a bit surgy/bucky at LIGHT throttle, smoothing out in neutral or with more gas and would have the idle drop out if holding the clutch too long to a stop. All to be cleaned up with the tune.

Wednesday I drove the car 600 miles from FL to TN. We had tons of rain, traffic, heat, you name it. Temp gauge with the AC on never really budged and the oil temps were a solid 20-30 degrees cooler.

Thursday was the second leg home, another 600 miles. Again, no overheating, and when it was dry I even got 24.2mpgs on a couple of tanks. It made it 599 miles back! Meaning...I was on the side of the road about 1 miles from my house....

(for the 1234 pictures in detail, here is the whole album)
    http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/index.php?/category/430
    Last edited by Jamesons Viggen; 06-01-2020 at 08:46 AM.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    So when I was a couple streets from home I gave it pretty close to WOT in 2nd and let off. A couple seconds later it was bucking and didn't sound right.

Uh oh.

I popped the hood and looked around.

Nothing obvious.

Then I saw the BPV hose had jumped off.

I had just restored and reinstalled my tool kit and brought it to the car in FL so I had a screwdriver!

Put the hose back on, go to start the car...extended crank. WTF.

I called Randy. He thought maybe I flooded it. Let it sit. Nope, that didn't cure it. Nice neighbors let me push the car into the driveway. I would return the next morning with a tow. I had an appointment anyway Friday at a good BMW shop that was going to dyno the car. They would help me figure out the issue. I went back to the car pulled the battery to have it tested just in case. It passed. I was thinking it was fuel pump related.

So Friday morning I called for the tow. It was free thanks to Grundy. It had occurred to me. I have a gauge now on the fuel pressure regulator. it showed 0. Hmm. I was texting my buddy at RallyRoad who I got the fuel pump from and Jake the guy at the BMW shop. Check the fuses.

Sure enough, we spot a fried fuse.

I put in the spare fuse and the car fires right up.

I could have driven to the shop/dyno but the tow was 5 minutes away. It was good insurance. But why did it fry the fuse? It's a pretty beefy pump, that's quite a power draw. Then I find out RallyRoad had an optional upgraded wiring kit for the pump. RallyRoad guy lives 10 minutes away has one in stock. He has my wife pick it up from him and gets it to me in time to have with the car when it gets towed. The BMW shop owner is friends with same RallyRoad buddy and agrees to install the wiring before the dyno. Result!

We arrive at the shop/dyno about noon on Friday. I had the tow guy use micro fiber rags I had brought to protect my fresh LMs lol.
    Last edited by Jamesons Viggen; 05-31-2020 at 07:05 PM.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    So wiring is done, let's strap this down and see where we are at! The shop owner Jake says, man, you like the clutch spring like that? Umm no, I didn't know there was any real adjustment. He says, he takes out the spring. 5 minutes later, no spring. We go for a drive. SOOO MUCH BETTER!

First we did some logging on the street. Man, this thing feels good for the base map. I've also noticed it pulls harder in 6th than it did in 5th before. That said to me I am making more tq.

So my best before was 387/317.

All I have going for me is lower compression which of course doesn't make more power, but allowed more boost. The upgraded blower wheel is my only new power mod.

Right off the bat, load bearing dyno(like a Mustang, not a higher reading DJ), 395whp/385tq at 13.5psi. Maybe 2psi more but look at that tq gain!

This was also running very rich and still on pump gas. So much more left on the table.

I had the 3.15 pulley on the car. Let's try the 2.85!

Boom 426whp/412tq at about 15.5psi(we now peg the 15psi boost gauge). So that's about 100-w-tq gain largely from the blower and of course some from the lower compression. Again, untuned pump gas. So I have a revised tune to flash this week and we are doing more pulls. I might also try an 2.5" pulley because this setup can handle as much as 21psi without a problem. I am confident we are going to break through my 500whp goal. Later Friday I learned the dyno was calibrated to my tach at 6800rpms when it should have been to my 7200rpm redline. This actually made my numbers LOWER than actual. So I dunno, 435-440whp on Friday would have happened?

Here is a SHORT video of LIGHT throttle in 1st(which got me loose), spinning towards the top of 2nd and short shifting into 3rd. Remember, these are 295mm Cup 2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEibBGMAvPo

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEibBGMAvPo[/youtube]
    Last edited by Jamesons Viggen; 05-31-2020 at 07:04 PM.

My Cars
    E90 335xi
    What an awesome project. Looks and sounds great!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    1999 Z3 Coupe MT (just purchased)
    2008 335xi AT (for sale
    )

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Sweet, that car sounds as good as it looks!

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Thanks!

Here's a quick video from a pull on Friday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAyrPF5J...d=buuukwkhk3mt

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Guy does nice work, for such a cluttered shop...

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Guy does nice work, for such a cluttered shop...

That clutter results in having lots of spares like AA blower tuned DMEs, extra SPAL fans, extra radiators ETC ETC lol.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
    That clutter results in having lots of spares like AA blower tuned DMEs, extra SPAL fans, extra radiators ETC ETC lol.
    That does come in handy at times, like when you need a part (for evaluation) at a second's notice!

My Cars
    z3
    Awesome build
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 06-01-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Are you running a aftercooler ? I’d love to see the plumbing. I had a issue last year driving to Zfest when we hit torrential rain and my MAF started shorting (per the codes). I’m not sure if it was internal or at the plug but boy did it make the car buck. Waited out the rain and all was good. Nice build

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    Are you running a aftercooler ? I’d love to see the plumbing. I had a issue last year driving to Zfest when we hit torrential rain and my MAF started shorting (per the codes). I’m not sure if it was internal or at the plug but boy did it make the car buck. Waited out the rain and all was good. Nice build
    Yes RMS Aftercooler.

I drove hundreds of miles on torrential rain, no issues.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Yes RMS Aftercooler.

I drove hundreds of miles on torrential rain, no issues.
    It was raining nine out of ten times I test drove it__makes me wonder if it'll run in the sunshine?

Pictures taken during one of the "will it overheat idling with a/c on?" tests. There were a few such tests...

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Nice build!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Wow I really like those torque numbers!!

I also had to redo subframe reinforcement done by Mr Mcar. I thought the cause might've been the IE subframe bushings fall apart but it seems that there was a design flaw with the reinforcement.

So are you currently running two fans for the radiator....basically a pusher and puller? I'm battling heating issues with my low boost supercharger setup on the track and this could be an option.
    I'm on the fence on running e85 and have a bunch of questions. I'll shoot you a pm if you don't mind.
    -Phil

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    Wow I really like those torque numbers!!

I also had to redo subframe reinforcement done by Mr Mcar. I thought the cause might've been the IE subframe bushings fall apart but it seems that there was a design flaw with the reinforcement.

So are you currently running two fans for the radiator....basically a pusher and puller? I'm battling heating issues with my low boost supercharger setup on the track and this could be an option.
    I'm on the fence on running e85 and have a bunch of questions. I'll shoot you a pm if you don't mind.
    Yep, pusher and puller.

I'll keep an eye out for your PM.

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 15 i3
    Thanks for taking the time to document and share. You have an amazing m roadster and the build is top notch.

Side bar, I love how Randy takes the time to take photos of work while he's in there.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzyone View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to document and share. You have an amazing m roadster and the build is top notch.

Side bar, I love how Randy takes the time to take photos of work while he's in there.
    You get addicted to the picture updates. If I had a dollar for each time I refreshed the page to check for new pictures it would have paid for the bill.

So wiring is done, let's strap this down and see where we are at! The shop owner Jake says, man, you like the clutch spring like that? Umm no, I didn't know there was any real adjustment. He says, he takes out the spring. 5 minutes later, no spring. We go for a drive. SOOO MUCH BETTER!

First we did some logging on the street. Man, this thing feels good for the base map. I've also noticed it pulls harder in 6th than it did in 5th before. That said to me I am making more tq.

So my best before was 387/317.

All I have going for me is lower compression which of course doesn't make more power, but allowed more boost. The upgraded blower wheel is my only new power mod.

Right off the bat, load bearing dyno(like a Mustang, not a higher reading DJ), 395whp/385tq at 13.5psi. Maybe 2psi more but look at that tq gain!

This was also running very rich and still on pump gas. So much more left on the table.

I had the 3.15 pulley on the car. Let's try the 2.85!

Boom 426whp/412tq at about 15.5psi(we now peg the 15psi boost gauge). So that's about 100-w-tq gain largely from the blower and of course some from the lower compression. Again, untuned pump gas. So I have a revised tune to flash this week and we are doing more pulls. I might also try an 2.5" pulley because this setup can handle as much as 21psi without a problem. I am confident we are going to break through my 500whp goal. Later Friday I learned the dyno was calibrated to my tach at 6800rpms when it should have been to my 7200rpm redline. This actually made my numbers LOWER than actual. So I dunno, 435-440whp on Friday would have happened?

Here is a SHORT video of LIGHT throttle in 1st(which got me loose), spinning towards the top of 2nd and short shifting into 3rd. Remember, these are 295mm Cup 2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEibBGMAvPo

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEibBGMAvPo[/youtube]

geez u need more rpms lol

- - - Updated - - -

were u happy w the wheel work from Pa?.....can u lmk..pm me?....

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    geez u need more rpms lol

- - - Updated - - -

were u happy w the wheel work from Pa?.....can u lmk..pm me?....
    Yeah, I'd love to upgrade the valve train to hit 8k.

Very happy. It's called Renewed Finishes.

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    Wow, my old car! I LOVE seeing it getting taken care of so well. The wheels, the hardtop, the exhaust - talk about a blast from the past! What has it been, 13 years? Looks like Mr. Forbes did an amazing job.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by JCK View Post
    Wow, my old car! I LOVE seeing it getting taken care of so well. The wheels, the hardtop, the exhaust - talk about a blast from the past! What has it been, 13 years? Looks like Mr. Forbes did an amazing job.
    Good to see you're still around!

- - - Updated - - -

So the tach is off about 15-18% we learned.

22RPD sent me this info based on my 426whp Dyno with the tach calibration issue. We are going to use a camera on the boost pulley from now on.

"
    425 whp at 6k is 350 wtq. IF you correct that to 7k from 6k the new calculation is:
    torque (350)*7200/5252 = 485 whp."

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Belts slipping. Going to try a special high traction pulley. 451whp today with the slipping belt. It was fun to need to order a 30psi boost gauge.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Amazing! Allot of dedication.... Fantastic car. I dont know how I missed this thread. What did Jon Bond Performance do to your blower?
    Last edited by bubbafett; 06-08-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    skateboard
    So much awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast