Hello All,
I just took delivery on a 2020 540i xDrive. I previously had a 2017 MY.
In my 2017 I had an old gen4 IPOD touch that worked ok when connected via USB in the console compartment (USB Type A Connector).

In the 2020 there is now a USB Type C connector in the console compartment. So I connected my iPod to the Type A Connector on the console USB Type A connection. Long story short, when I select an artist>album to play, I cannot return back to the artist in the list. I am taken back to the beginning of the artist list. It's too cumbersome to be of practical use.

I figured this was due to my iPod being so old, so I purchased a SanDisk 128 GB memory stick with a Type C connector. It is formatted as FAT32. I then copied my "itunes/" directory (for testing I only have 10 albums stored under 4 artists) to the root of the USB stick. I then inserted the USB stick into the console compartment Type C usb connector. The red led illuminates for a brief time (a second or so) and then nothing. Under "Mobile Devices" there is "No Connected Devices".

I then copied an artist's album folders from the "iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\artist" directory directly to the root of the USB memory stick to see if the behavior was dependent on where the folders existed. I get the same result - "No connected Devices".

One guess I had was that maybe the size of the memory stick is limited to 4GB - I hope not.

BTW, there is no music collection import capability with the memory stick either.

All the material I have looked at on line seems to apply for older HMIs. But the bottom line is that for whatever reason I can't get my vehicle to even acknowledge there is a usb memory stick inserted.

Any insights you can provide will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.