Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Need Help--will these fit on E36

My Cars
    318IS,318Ti, 128I E82, E

Need Help--will these fit on E36

I picked up a pair of Mille Miglia 18" wheels on the cheap
    8JX18H2 ET20
    im in process of refinishing them when I realized from reading some posts that these may not fit without a lot of work

car sits on H&R springs. So not a very aggressive drop

So will they fit? what is needed for them to fit besides hubcentric rings ?

tire size?

Thank you
    DIYMA Sound Quality Team. TEAM JL AUDIO/MSE
    2010 MECA SQL Extreme World Champion
    2010 Elite Summer Nationals Extreme and SQ2 champion
    2009 MECA SQL Extreme 2nd
    2006 IASCA Steel Valley Regional Champion
    2006 IASCA SQC2 SVR Champion
    2005 IASCA Wold Champion Pro Street 601+
    '03/'04 IASCA World Finals 2nd Pro Street 1-600
    '02 USAC Spring Break Nationals Champion
    2003 ISQC Team Japan Top 5 SQ

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    ET20 will work only with skinny tires like 225. The rear is the problem. You will be close to the fender. Stock offset is 41 and 245 is the widest tire the fits fine without any work. So if you push the wheel out 3/4 inch with ET20, you need to narrow the tire to compensate. Of course half your narrowing is on the inside and does not help.

The fronts may not be as much of an issue; some people run 15mm spacers up front with ET41 wheels to clear coilovers. Your ET20 would not be far off that.

Google Style 5 wheels on E36 and you will see issues people have with ET20 wheels. Those are 17x8 but I don’t think the wheel diameter changes the problem.

My Cars
    A few
    18x8 ET20 is not that aggressive. Take some measurements with the wheels mounted on the car and get an idea of how much space you will have. Like pbonsalb said above, the rear will be tighter fitment than the front. I would start there if you're worried.

FYI I have run 17x9 et20 wheels with a 225 tire and had plenty of space with rolled rear fenders. However, suspension setup also plays a factor here as stiffer springs allow for more aggressive fitments.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Tilting the wheels in at the top with excessive negative camber also helps fit ET20 wheels in the rear.

My Cars
    318IS,318Ti, 128I E82, E
    Thank you guys for the reply.
    I absolutely love these wheels and just assumed theyd fit since they were the right bolt pattern....til I started reading more
    I fit the wheel, no tire on the front and it looks like they stick out quite far, maybe theyll tuck a bit more if it could be actually lowered to the ground. but just on jackstands, the front looks like it stuck out a few inches past the fender

I dont have an issue running whatever size tires I need for everything to fit and make the car drivable.

I have 225 40 18 on my TSX and it rides fine. and its lowered on Tein coilovers.
    235 rubbed in the rear.

Not sure Im ready to invest a few hundred in tires just to see if everything will fit, bc its unlikely Ill be able to recoup what I have in the tires and wheels

so whatever I need to do within reason, ill consider

thanks again
    DIYMA Sound Quality Team. TEAM JL AUDIO/MSE
    2010 MECA SQL Extreme World Champion
    2010 Elite Summer Nationals Extreme and SQ2 champion
    2009 MECA SQL Extreme 2nd
    2006 IASCA Steel Valley Regional Champion
    2006 IASCA SQC2 SVR Champion
    2005 IASCA Wold Champion Pro Street 601+
    '03/'04 IASCA World Finals 2nd Pro Street 1-600
    '02 USAC Spring Break Nationals Champion
    2003 ISQC Team Japan Top 5 SQ

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5

you can do it if you really want to/depending on how much you like your fenders...

Like others have said it will be close, but possible. I ran Style 5's (17x8 et20) on my e36 m3 as winter wheels for three years with 225/45 blizzaks lowered on TRM coilovers, I just don't like a stretched look so wasn't going to go with 205/215's. 225's already have a slight stretched look on 8" wheels, but 225's are great in the snow so I just dealt with it.

I completely rolled all my fenders and ran -2.5f/-1.5r degrees of camber with this setup. No spacers required front or rear, but I could run up to 12mm spacers in the front to clear my calipers when brand new pads were installed (only need 3mm spacers to clear calipers, but I only have 12mm spacers on hand). No rubbing in the rear, but some rubbing in the front when hitting bumps while turning, regardless of speed, if there's enough lock applied. Not enough to bug me or damage my fenders. It really depends on how low you are (assuming you're running at least -2 degrees of camber up front). If you're much lower than me in the rear, your rear bumper may start to hit the tire.

This is my car last yearish before I sold my Style 5's (can't fit them over my new front BBK without 25mm spacers lol) and gives you an idea of where I was height wise. Slightly tucked in the rear, and could not get my index finger between the fender and tire in front. Front lip was ~3.5in off the ground, not "slammed" but as low as I'm willing to go for a track and street car (it's my only car so I DD it too).

It's amazing how much more room you get with coming up even 1/2", but I know it's not something most people want to do. I raised my car 1" since then to fit my GT splitter and 255 tires, and for a week or so it just felt wrong to have fender gap in the front, but now I'm used to it. I scrape my splitter on everything, but it's nice not crushing my crossbrace on every speed bump lol.

IMG_0940.jpgparking lot.jpg
    Last edited by Carpy2; 06-04-2020 at 01:01 AM.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3