Thread: [E36] ADS, real serial port, but through VM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

[E36] ADS, real serial port, but through VM.

I’m known with Inpa/Ediabas ADS setups and have a working 32-bit Win7 laptop with serial port and all is well. So no problem with knowing the correct settings.

Now I have a GPD MicroPC, because it’s ultraportable (fits in my jeans pocket) and it has a real RS-232 port. So I thought my prayers were answered finally as it fits the glovebox. Don’t want to be dragging big laptops with me all the time.

Now long story short-ish. The MicroPC runs a 64-bit Win10 Pro (8GB Ram), and a UEFI64. So nomatter what, it will not install a 32-bit Windows.

No problem, I’ll use a VM and set the serial port settings to directly use the host’s port. Sounds easy.

Now I tried both VM Ware and Virtual Box and I am running in to the same problems and I am stuck.

The thing is, it’s not completely not working. Battery and Ignition dots are correctly detected. Trying to talk to the gauge cluster and remote control module, which are ADS only modules, it works as expected. I can fully communicate with these modules, read and clear coded, execute commands. So that’s perfect.

But here is the problem. Trying the same for the DME and ZKE, which work through K-line/USB cable setup, will through an IFH-009 error. Can’t find/talk to module.

Results are same for both my 328i and M3. I also tried Win XP and Win7 32-bit.

So with everything being equal between my working ADS setup and this, bar the virtual machine serial port setup, I can only assume serial port virtualization may not be fully functional.

My only last resort I can think of is fitting a different SSD with MBR partition so I can install a 32-bit OS natively (and UEFI set to Legacy mode).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MParallel; 05-31-2020 at 06:25 AM.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1994 525i e34
    Did you have any success in the end?

97 328i euro with tiny ads. I can, from memory, connect to the zke, soft top, Kombi and a few others (not yet sure which modules are L or K). This vehicle does not have pin 17, so I bridged both 17 txd1 and 20 txd2 on the Pac-Man side.

I cannot connect to the DME in either Dis v44 or Inpa 3.01.

There's three? Different types of serial cables; straight through, null modem and null modem with handshake.

Possibility that the relevant files need modifying (Misteku?) Or update files must be installed?

Vehicle dependant: I've seen posts re ADS vehicles that some have only connected to the DME with an ADS interface whilst in STD:OBD mode.

David MC had told others to use tool32 and bring up the relevant DME file (I haven't got the hang out the program).
    Other's couldn't connect via INPA but could via DIS v44

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Hi,
    Im wrecking my head currently how to get INPA/EDIABAS working in a VM. Im stuck with the same problem, a quite modern minipc with only EUFI 64 bit support and cant install a 32bit OS.

Also cant get INPA / EDIABAS to work in VMWare, cant map host com1 to guest com1, how did you do that?
    Will try virtualbox next.

Did you solve being able to access DME in VM ?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Haven't solved the VM part yet. I use STD:OBD and USB-to-OBD-to-Pacman cable. Access 98% of all modules. The import ones.

I looked in the EFI Shell setting for COM port, which always defaults to BAUD 11500, whie ADS needs 9600, as configured under Windows.

Funny thing is I do manage to read the Kombi and FFB module through VM, with ADS. So everuthing is set correctly. Maybe these two specific modules do work at 11500 BAUD rate if that is indeed the case.

IG:

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Im using a self-made circuit, serial to ads : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-ADS-interface, so a real serial port, my car is a 325i '94 so USB wont work. Tried so far: vmware+winxp32, virtualos+winxp32 and win8.132bit+virtualos. If i do a loopback test on te serial port from within the vmware vm's i can confirm the guest com1 is connected to the host com1 and working. But no battery or ignition indication in INPA.

Can you explain how you map the usb to the guest vm?

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    When I use USB there is no need for VM.
    Just straight off the native Win10 64bit OS.

IG:

My Cars
    99 M3 US, 91 318is, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by klaas View Post
    Im using a self-made circuit, serial to ads : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-ADS-interface, so a real serial port, my car is a 325i '94 so USB wont work. Tried so far: vmware+winxp32, virtualos+winxp32 and win8.132bit+virtualos. If i do a loopback test on te serial port from within the vmware vm's i can confirm the guest com1 is connected to the host com1 and working. But no battery or ignition indication in INPA.

Can you explain how you map the usb to the guest vm?
    Sorry for bumping an old post, but quadruple check my understanding here: the only confirmed working way** to connect to 'early' OBD1 E36s is through a proper ADS adapter circuit, real serial port, and the appropriate EDIABAS version? I'm even fuzzy on which INPA versions are supposed to work with ADS and early cars; I know I've read at least once that we're to use DIS and SSS Progman with early cars.
    I'm digging into the world of ADS cables since I need one. Currently building a tiny ADS adapter.

**for us homegamers. No Gt1 Multiplexer here.